Logitec Bus Mouse

Post by Timothy Fredri » Sun, 05 Mar 1995 08:19:52

>>I have a logitec bus mouse and I have hade no luck getting it to work.
>>for starters, does anyone who is using such a mouse know the definate
>>protocol or device used in Xconfig?

>>eg protocal:
>>        Logitec
>>        MouseMan
>>        BusMouse

>>eg device:
>>        /dev/ttyS0
>>        /dev/lp1

>>If I recompile my kernel, what type of mouse should I say I have?

>>Thanks for your help!  -Ben
>I have gotten as far a getting test-mouse to work. I used test-mouse -t bm
>which implies the busmouse protocol. I said yes to busmouse and no to all
>other mice when I was running the kernel config.  The device was
>/dev/logibm with /dev/mouse linked to it. I will be trying to install X
>this weekend

If it helps, I just went through this exercise a few minutes ago.  The
steps:

        1. Look at the busmouse board and get the IRQ number
        2. Compile a new kernel with busmouse support
           2a. cd /usr/src/linux
           2b. vi /usr/src/linux/include/linux/busmouse.h and change the
               following line to be the interrupt you discovered in step 1

                #define MOUSE_IRQ 5

           2c. make config -- answer a lot of questions including about
               the mouse
           2d. make dep
           2e. make clean
           2f. make zImage
           2g. cp /vmlinuz /vmlinuz.old
           2h. cp zImage /vmlinuz
        3. Reinstall LILO by entering "/etc/lilo/install"  (if you forget
           this step, you can't boot again)
        4. Reboot (be sure you can boot off of floppy in case something
           goes wrong.  If something goes wrong, you'll have to boot off
           of floppy and move /vmlinuz.old back to /vmlinuz.)
        5. vi /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config -- go to the pointer
           section and make sure these lines are in there:

                Protocol "Busmouse"
                Device "/dev/mouse"

        6. Log in as a regular user and do "startx".

There is a readme on it in /usr/doc/faq/howto/Busmouse-HOWTO if you've
installed the SLACKWARE distribution.  Section 4.2 of my document is
incorrect -- follow step 5 above instead.

My Logitech mouse is the 3-button busmouse model PC-93-9MD.  I understand
that Logitech mice can vary in terms of the protocol they use -- the
Busmouse-HOWTO file addresses it in more detail.

I hope that helps.  Good luck!

  NCAR/ACD Computer Systems Administration

Logitec Bus Mouse

Quote:>I have a logitec bus mouse and I have hade no luck getting it to work.

Post by Steve Wo » Mon, 06 Mar 1995 03:18:49

: I have a logitec bus mouse and I have hade no luck getting it to work.
: for starters, does anyone who is using such a mouse know the definate
: protocol or device used in Xconfig?

: eg protocal:
:       Logitec
:       MouseMan
:       BusMouse

You might want to boot up DOS and run MSD.  If your mouse uses IRQ 12, it
is probably a PS/2 mouse.  Mine is made by logitech but is really one of
these.

1. Logitec Bus Mouse and /dev/bm

I'm currently running v.98 -- everytime I try to access /dev/bm (in the
case of Xwindows for instance) my system crashes.  Linux recognizes my
bus mouse during boot, and reports it as a logitec (which it is). I've checked
my IRqs, and they are all in correct order, with my bus mouse using
irq 5 and nothing else.  Running mouse gives me a kernel panic, and it is
unable to recover!

Whats going on?!
(SLS version)

2. RE goldstar cdrom

3. logitec bus mouse support

4. X Window Question!

5. Logitec Bus Mouse

6. Veritas mirror problem

7. Logitec Bus Mouse Busy

8. HSZ firmware

9. Logitec bus Mouse Man Woes

10. ATI or Logitec bus mouse in XF86

11. Solutions to install Logitec S9 Bus Mouse

12. Bus Mouse - MS Inport Bus mouse will not work