HELP - Linux on DOS-compatible Macintosh (DOS side)

HELP - Linux on DOS-compatible Macintosh (DOS side)

Post by Larry R Co » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

One from left field, perhaps ..  :-)

A friend has unsuccessfully attempted to install slackware onto a DOS partition
on my mac LC630 DOS-compatible. (This machine is a 68k macintosh with a 486
chip glued on to the daughter board which runs DOS/windows in a partition
on the Hard Disc. The mac necessarily boots first. The DOS chip is then
(optionally) booted, and control of the monitor and keyboard can be swapped
around).

I found it necessary to install basic DOS OS into the partition so as to allow
the CD-rom to be accessable, so the DOS was active. Installation grounded to
a halt when the setup process called for the root-discette to be inserted,
and (if I understood correctly) to be copied into an address on the hard disc.
Error message was : kernel panic - cannot access root fs 02:01
(different address/numbers would appear as different configuarations were
attempted).

In short : does anyone have any experience with this sort of setup?
  Is it not possible because of some hangup with the fact that the DOS
partition exists as a fiat from the mac OS?

Seems this question isn't asked frequently enough to make it on to the FAQ.
If it is there, and I've missed it, my apologies. I would appreciate or
pointers.

Thanks !
Larry

--
/******************    Larry Cook, BA/LLB(Melb), Dip.Comp.Sci (La Trobe)
 [---- under development:  http://compsoc.cs.latrobe.edu.au/~larry/     ----]

Post by Marc Lepag » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> One from left field, perhaps ..  :-)

> A friend has unsuccessfully attempted to install slackware onto a DOS partition
> on my mac LC630 DOS-compatible. (This machine is a 68k macintosh with a 486
> chip glued on to the daughter board which runs DOS/windows in a partition
> on the Hard Disc. The mac necessarily boots first. The DOS chip is then
> (optionally) booted, and control of the monitor and keyboard can be swapped
> around).

[config info snipped]

Out of curiousity, anyone ever try Linux on Virtual PC on the Mac?

--
SEGV

Post by Kevin C. Weissm » Sun, 18 Jan 1998 04:00:00

: I found it necessary to install basic DOS OS into the partition so as to allow
: the CD-rom to be accessable, so the DOS was active. Installation grounded to
: a halt when the setup process called for the root-discette to be inserted,
: and (if I understood correctly) to be copied into an address on the hard disc.
: Error message was : kernel panic - cannot access root fs 02:01
: (different address/numbers would appear as different configuarations were
: attempted).

: In short : does anyone have any experience with this sort of setup?
:   Is it not possible because of some hangup with the fact that the DOS
: partition exists as a fiat from the mac OS?

Let me first say I 've never used a Mac with this setup and am only
guessing as to the problem.

The inherant problem is that the Linux kernel does not make calls to the
BIOS to access various hardware devices. When Linux want to get data from
the HD, it manually interrupts the processor and directly talks to the HD.
The BIOS is never consulted. Generally this is a Good Thing because it
allows you to fully use any hardware supported by Linux but not by your
vintage BIOS. As for your case, this is a problem. My guess is that this
486 board does not have direct access to any of the hardware. It must
first go though the Mac processor and the Mac BIOS before it is caried
out. The rest of the Mac is acting as a sort of "firewall" (if you will)
between the 486 board and the rest of the devices. In short, Linux will
not work because it is not allowed directly address and of the I/O. DOS
and Windows work because they use BIOS routines that the 486 board
support. This Mac is still just Emulating a PC.
--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Kevin C. Weissman (KW)            |ACORN "techie" and proud UNIX advocate.

                                  |Natural Selection; It's only natural

HELP - Linux on DOS-compatible Macintosh (DOS side)

Post by Scott Geor » Sun, 18 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Any OS that accesses hardware directly will fail on the Apple DOS/PC
Compatibility Cards.  These cards have no hardware attached and all calls
must go through the PC's BIOS which is then handled by the Macintosh.

There used to be a way to get into setup with PC Setup 1.0.7 but I can't
remember the key sequence.  This was also removed from later versions of
PC Setup.  The PC's BIOS is actually loaded from PC Setup.

Anyway, with PC Setup 1.0.7, the setup is this:

DRIVE A: NONE
DRIVE B: NONE
DRIVE C: NONE
DRIVE D: NONE

Therefore, any call to the controllers will fail.  They don't exist.

Scott

> One from left field, perhaps ..  :-)

> A friend has unsuccessfully attempted to install slackware onto a DOS
partition
> on my mac LC630 DOS-compatible. (This machine is a 68k macintosh with a 486
> chip glued on to the daughter board which runs DOS/windows in a partition
> on the Hard Disc. The mac necessarily boots first. The DOS chip is then
> (optionally) booted, and control of the monitor and keyboard can be swapped
> around).

> I found it necessary to install basic DOS OS into the partition so as to allow
> the CD-rom to be accessable, so the DOS was active. Installation grounded to
> a halt when the setup process called for the root-discette to be inserted,
> and (if I understood correctly) to be copied into an address on the hard disc.
> Error message was : kernel panic - cannot access root fs 02:01
> (different address/numbers would appear as different configuarations were
> attempted).

> In short : does anyone have any experience with this sort of setup?
>   Is it not possible because of some hangup with the fact that the DOS
> partition exists as a fiat from the mac OS?

> Seems this question isn't asked frequently enough to make it on to the FAQ.
> If it is there, and I've missed it, my apologies. I would appreciate or
> pointers.

> Thanks !
> Larry

> --
> /******************    Larry Cook, BA/LLB(Melb), Dip.Comp.Sci (La Trobe)
>  [---- under development:  http://compsoc.cs.latrobe.edu.au/~larry/     ----]
>                ph.   :   (w) 9479 1280  { Rm 201, Phys.Sci. 1 } (h) 9386 2392

HELP - Linux on DOS-compatible Macintosh (DOS side)

Post by Marc Lepag » Mon, 19 Jan 1998 04:00:00

But Virtual PC should be an option, as it emulates the PC right down to
the chipset. Anyone?

> Any OS that accesses hardware directly will fail on the Apple DOS/PC
> Compatibility Cards.  These cards have no hardware attached and all calls
> must go through the PC's BIOS which is then handled by the Macintosh.

> There used to be a way to get into setup with PC Setup 1.0.7 but I can't
> remember the key sequence.  This was also removed from later versions of
> PC Setup.  The PC's BIOS is actually loaded from PC Setup.

> Anyway, with PC Setup 1.0.7, the setup is this:

> DRIVE A: NONE
> DRIVE B: NONE
> DRIVE C: NONE
> DRIVE D: NONE

> Therefore, any call to the controllers will fail.  They don't exist.

> Scott

> > One from left field, perhaps ..  :-)

> > A friend has unsuccessfully attempted to install slackware onto a DOS
> partition
> > on my mac LC630 DOS-compatible. (This machine is a 68k macintosh with a 486
> > chip glued on to the daughter board which runs DOS/windows in a partition
> > on the Hard Disc. The mac necessarily boots first. The DOS chip is then
> > (optionally) booted, and control of the monitor and keyboard can be swapped
> > around).

> > I found it necessary to install basic DOS OS into the partition so as to allow
> > the CD-rom to be accessable, so the DOS was active. Installation grounded to
> > a halt when the setup process called for the root-discette to be inserted,
> > and (if I understood correctly) to be copied into an address on the hard disc.
> > Error message was : kernel panic - cannot access root fs 02:01
> > (different address/numbers would appear as different configuarations were
> > attempted).

> > In short : does anyone have any experience with this sort of setup?
> >   Is it not possible because of some hangup with the fact that the DOS
> > partition exists as a fiat from the mac OS?

> > Seems this question isn't asked frequently enough to make it on to the FAQ.
> > If it is there, and I've missed it, my apologies. I would appreciate or
> > pointers.

> > Thanks !
> > Larry

> > --
> > /******************    Larry Cook, BA/LLB(Melb), Dip.Comp.Sci (La Trobe)
> >  [---- under development:  http://compsoc.cs.latrobe.edu.au/~larry/     ----]
> >                ph.   :   (w) 9479 1280  { Rm 201, Phys.Sci. 1 } (h) 9386 2392

--
SEGV

1. Linux on Macintosh with DOS Compatible Card

I have a Apple Macintosh with a DOS Compatible card. It runs Windows and
Windows applications just fine. I've tried loading Linux but it has
problems while checking out the hardware because the Macintosh, not the
the PC board, controls the floppy drive.

Has anyone found a workaround ?

  --Greg Webb

2. linux - w95

4. repost - help on TCP client ID

5. HELP Install on Dos-Compatible Mac

6. USB Modems under Redhat 5.2

7. HELP Install on DOS-Compatible Mac

8. ATI Rage II

9. Linux on a PowerMac DOS-compatible?

10. HELP Linux on a Dos Compatible Mac

11. Linux on Macintosh Dos card

12. Linux for DOS-compat Macintosh?

13. Mount DOS on DOS machine from LINUX on LINUX machine