Remote printer problems using bsdlpd

Post by Andrew Huntwor » Thu, 19 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to print over a network to a remote printer.  I am using
bsdlpd which came with the latest slackware distribution.  I have a
local printer working to a certain extent already.  By that I mean that
I can print text through it.  The printcap file I am using is included
below.  When I try to enable the remote printer by typing "up brlw1" in
lpc, I get the message "unknown printer brlw1"  I have created a queue
directory for it in the place specified in printcap.  I have also tried
using the same printcap without the colons at the beginning of every
line.  The machine name and printer name are correct.  I have heard that
bsdlpd requires a device called lp to operate, so I made a soft link to
/dev/null called lp.  I have of course killed and restarted bsdlpd every
time I made a change.  I am using kernel version 2.0.33 with all the
important other stuff like gcc from the newest slackware distribution.
If anyone has an idea about how I can fix this, please email me at

time.

lp|printer|DJ672:\
:lp=/dev/lp1:sd=/var/spool/lpd/DJ672LP1:sh:mx#0:if=/usr/local/bin/deskjet-filter:

brlw1:\
:lp=:\
:rm=lpd.rh.uchicago.edu:\
:rp=brlw1:\
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/brlw1:\
:lf=/var/spool/lpd/brlw1/errs:

1. Using PC-driven printers ans UNIX remote printer ???

I am usign an RS6000 on a net with a number of PCs (working on Windows
for Workgroups).  Some of these PCs are driving printers.  What I want
to do is spool print jobs to these printers.  I try to configure the
remote print queues and devices using SMIT, but of course, there really
isn't a device designation for the remote PCs.  How do I access these
printers from my UNIX?

Thanx in advance.
Sean

2. Building GDB Problem

3. Problem using remote BSD Printer from Solaris 2.1 / x86

4. ISO 8859-1 National Character Set FAQ

5. Remote printing to remote unix printer problem with cpi= option

6. Program Preprocessor?

7. Printer Problem: Default page size resets after power outage on remote line printer

8. Problem compiling 1.3.45 kernel.

9. Problem using ufsdump to remote tape called using rsh

10. Using SMB Printer on remote Linux machine

11. using remote printer on unix/linux

12. Trouble printing to a remote HPK80 printer using LPD

13. Please help find a program to print on remote printer (not using /etc/printcap)