How to edit a file in /proc

Post by Charl » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

        I want to edit a file that stands in /proc but I don't know what
program to use to do that. I tried vi (maybe a silly solution). It
worked but when I reboot, the modification are discarded.

If someone know, let me know too.
Thanks.
Charly.

How to edit a file in /proc

Post by Jimmy Andrew » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

What do you want to change?
/proc may not be the place to edit.
/proc is more of a read only or status directory.

--
Miles Long :-)
Wisdom comes to those who seek it.

On Windows 95

How to edit a file in /proc

Post by Charl » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> What do you want to change?
> /proc may not be the place to edit.
> /proc is more of a read only or status directory.

I want to change the value of a file in /proc/sys/nsy/ipv4
I know that /proc is a particular filesystem. That's why
I want to know wich program should I use to modify a file in it.
Surely a configuration program, not an editor.
The file I want to modify is /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all

Thanks.

How to edit a file in /proc

Post by Colin Wats » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> > What do you want to change?
> > /proc may not be the place to edit.
> > /proc is more of a read only or status directory.

> I want to change the value of a file in /proc/sys/nsy/ipv4
> I know that /proc is a particular filesystem. That's why
> I want to know wich program should I use to modify a file in it.
> Surely a configuration program, not an editor.
> The file I want to modify is /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all

You want 'echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all', or
similar. To make the change permanent, put this into one of your
network startup scripts, like /etc/rc.d/init.d/network.

Think of /proc as a means of communicating with your kernel. Reads
from and writes to "files" in /proc tend to get translated into system
calls, so thinking of them as files is probably unhelpful.

Be aware that if you change this, then ping to your machine will stop
working, which may make debugging network problems difficult, and
might break one or two other things.

--
Colin Watson                                      [cjw44 at cam.ac.uk]
Trinity College, Cambridge, and Computer Science       [riva.ucam.org]

How to edit a file in /proc

Post by Clive DaSil » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

hey charly

try pico -w /proc/filename
pico has prompts at the bottom to help you to save the file after you
have edited it, <EG>, which vi does not
good luck

Clive

>Hi all,

>        I want to edit a file that stands in /proc but I don't know what
>program to use to do that. I tried vi (maybe a silly solution). It
>worked but when I reboot, the modification are discarded.

>If someone know, let me know too.
>Thanks.
>Charly.

Clive DaSilva CMA

Homepage: http://www.Geocities.com/Broadway/2207

How to edit a file in /proc

Post by Jim Henderso » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

What is it that you're trying to accomplish?  If you want to disable
ICMP Echo, you need to shut that service down.  As Mr. Andrews stated,
this is a read-only status filesystem, not something that is stored
permanently.

ICMP Echo is a service handled by inetd - you might look at the docs on
modifying the services inetd provides.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson
Novell Support Connection SysOp - http://support.novell.com/forums

Homepage at http://www.bigfoot.com/~jhenderson (email instructions
located here)

Please note that as an NSC SysOp, I do not provide support for Novell
products on a personal basis - if you need help with a Novell product,
please post a reply in the public newsgroup or visit the Novell support
forums at the URL above.

How to edit a file in /proc

Post by CZ » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi!  I think you should check out the LDP's System Administrators' Guide
(http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/LDP/sag/index.html ).  Particularly, the
description of the /proc "filesystem"
(http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/LDP/sag/x595.html).

quote:
"The /proc filesystem contains a illusionary filesystem. It does not
exist on a disk. Instead, the kernel creates it in memory. It is used to
provide information about the system (originally about processes, hence
the name)."

HTH

CZ