Anonymous FTP

Post by Paul W. Elsinghors » Tue, 30 Jul 2002 20:36:25

Hi,

I recently recompiled glibc and gcc. Now I can't login to my ftp anymore. It
says something like "Cannot cd to /ftp" with /ftp being the home directory
of user ftp. I think I remember that there was something wrong with some
library permissions, but chmod +x * in /lib /usr/lib didn't help.

I also have weird escape sequences in my man pages, though i recompile groff
and man.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Anonymous FTP

Post by t.. » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 01:45:09

Quote:> Hi,

> I recently recompiled glibc and gcc. Now I can't login to my ftp anymore. It
> says something like "Cannot cd to /ftp" with /ftp being the home directory
> of user ftp. I think I remember that there was something wrong with some
> library permissions, but chmod +x * in /lib /usr/lib didn't help.

> I also have weird escape sequences in my man pages, though i recompile groff
> and man.

Perhaps you have the termcap/terminfo database in another place than
the new glibc expects? (Was it confugured to use /usr/local/lib instead
of /usr/lib?)

What can you, besides what you cannot do?

/Enrique

Anonymous FTP

Post by Paul W. Elsinghors » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 02:05:24

>> Hi,

>> I recently recompiled glibc and gcc. Now I can't login to my ftp anymore.
It
>> says something like "Cannot cd to /ftp" with /ftp being the home
directory
>> of user ftp. I think I remember that there was something wrong with some
>> library permissions, but chmod +x * in /lib /usr/lib didn't help.

>> I also have weird escape sequences in my man pages, though i recompile
groff
>> and man.

> Perhaps you have the termcap/terminfo database in another place than
> the new glibc expects? (Was it confugured to use /usr/local/lib instead
> of /usr/lib?)

> What can you, besides what you cannot do?

> /Enrique

Actually /usr/local is linked to /usr. It must have something to do with the
permissions to issue the cd command and the permissions of the users home
directory, as every user except root cannot login.

1. Anonymous FTP access from non-anonymous account

Does anybody know of a way to limit the access for a non-anonymous ftp
user similar to that of an anonymous ftp user?  For example, they can log
in, but we don't want them to go outside of a certain directory - like
how anonymous ftp works, just without using the account "anonymous".

If this is in the FAQ - forgive the waste of bandwidth.  Thanks in
advance!

                "Yes, you are correct.  I am bored"

Network/Unix/PC Admin                                (319) 395-4542
Rockwell International Corp.

2. Text Mode Programming

3. How to prevent anonymous ftp w/wu-ftp

4. driving an hp deskjet 340 from solaris?

5. Setting up FTP/Anonymous FTP

6. Linux boot disk

7. Anonymous FTP gone from ftp.openbsd.org

8. entire dist + oem in jumpstart

9. how to set a anonymous ftp but user ftp have unique passwd

10. user ftp like anonymous ftp

11. go away evil anonymous ftp!! and ftp questions

12. ~/ftp/pub owner of an anonymous ftp server

13. Anonymous FTP on SCO