lpr won't print - "Unable to get official name for local machine"

lpr won't print - "Unable to get official name for local machine"

Post by Kevan Chapma » Mon, 18 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Long long ago (in Linux terms) I successfully installed Linux and had (at
least minimal) printing capability. Now I have come back to play with Linux
again, and I can't print.

Perhaps my networking details are not sufficiently specified for lpd or lpr
to behave? What is "official name for local machine" and how do I set it?

Slackware 3.3, using Linux2.0.30 kernel....

Thanks for any help....
--
"You Never Know until you Find Out"
    -the knave_-

Post by Alexei Nogi » Mon, 18 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> Long long ago (in Linux terms) I successfully installed Linux and had (at
> least minimal) printing capability. Now I have come back to play with Linux
> again, and I can't print.

> Perhaps my networking details are not sufficiently specified for lpd or lpr
> to behave? What is "official name for local machine" and how do I set it?

man hostname
Also you may need to add your hostname to /etc/hosts.

Alexey.

1. lpr print fails with "official name" error

I have an old Slakware release (3.3?) of linux and set up my printer
according to the HOW-TO. The test pages printed from echoing to the /dev
entry works fine, and I followed the filters.

When I use lpr to print, I get en error from lpr saying something to the
effect of "hostname(1): unable to get official name of machine". When I run
hostname as either root or a user, I get "darkstar" which is the default.
This machine is standalone, so I haven't done anything as far as networking
goes.

Any clues?

-joe

2. -exit- in script?

3. lpr: unable to get official name for local machine

4. Is there some (free) newsreader for X that looks a bit like Forte Agent under win ?

5. lpr:unable to get official name for local machine

6. S/W Dev on Solaris?

7. lpr: unable to get official name for local machine ????

8. 3DLabs VX1 and X

9. lpr: unable to get official name for local machine???

10. lpr: unable to get official name for local machine

11. lpr: can′t find official name for local machine

12. printing solution pertaining to "official name" problem

13. lpr will not recognize "local machine"