Linux won't find ATAPI cdrom on 2nd IDE controller...help!

Linux won't find ATAPI cdrom on 2nd IDE controller...help!

Post by Paul Caude » Tue, 23 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Intel Endeavour, pentium m/bd with 2xIDE channels.

2x 1gig hard disks on channel one
1xNEC 4x cdrom on channel 2....(only device on ch2)

Slackware 3.0 setup prog & boot/root floppies NEVER find the CD
Let alone work out what to do with these big disks...

Any suggestions welcome.

Best regards and many TIA
lee hiscott

how many pentiums ...lightbulb?
3 - one to hold ladder & 1 to change bulb   :-)

Post by Andrew Sarang » Tue, 23 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>Intel Endeavour, pentium m/bd with 2xIDE channels.

>2x 1gig hard disks on channel one
>1xNEC 4x cdrom on channel 2....(only device on ch2)

>Slackware 3.0 setup prog & boot/root floppies NEVER find the CD
>Let alone work out what to do with these big disks...

>Any suggestions welcome.

Which boot floppy are you using ? If you are using bare, then it won't
find the CDROM on IDE1. Read the WHICH.ONE file that describes the different
boot disks. I think there is a disk named "ide" or something like that.
Check that out. It worked for me.

--
Andrew Sarangan

Linux won't find ATAPI cdrom on 2nd IDE controller...help!

Post by Jerry D. Bac » Fri, 26 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Intel Endeavour, pentium m/bd with 2xIDE channels.

>2x 1gig hard disks on channel one
>1xNEC 4x cdrom on channel 2....(only device on ch2)

>Slackware 3.0 setup prog & boot/root floppies NEVER find the CD
>Let alone work out what to do with these big disks...

>Any suggestions welcome.

Check to make sure that the CD-ROM is set to master if it is the only device
on that IDE channel. Most CD-ROM drives come set for slave, and Linux won't
see them that way even though DOS and other OSs don't seem to mind.

--
Jerry D. Bacon
Universal Avionics Systems Corp. - Kirkland, WA

Linux won't find ATAPI cdrom on 2nd IDE controller...help!

Post by Paulo Jorge V. Dia » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> 2x 1gig hard disks on channel one
> 1xNEC 4x cdrom on channel 2....(only device on ch2)

  Try to configure the CD-Rom as master, it worked on my system!

-----  Blue Ribbon Campaign - Free Speach OnLine  -----

     Paulo Jorge Valente Dias
     Faculdade de Ciencias da
     Universidade de Lisboa

1. HELP: Slackware 2.2.0 won't recognize my ATAPI/IDE CDROM drive

        I've recently purchased slackware on CDROM but can't seem to get
the thing installed onto my system from the CDROM drive.  When I use the
idecd.gz boot disk I get no confimation that my drive exists and when I
try to run setup it says that it can't find a CDROM drive attached to
either the primary or secondary conroller.

        The problem, I suspect, is that the drive is attached to a
jumperless Mitsumi Mozart sound card.  The drive is also a Mitsumi but
has an IDE interface.  DOS/Windows have no problem with the drive but, of
course, DOS loads the proper drivers that configure the I/O address and
IRQ at bootup.

        If anyone has dealt with this problem before and found a
solution, I'd appreciate hearing it.  I know that if worse comes to worse
I can load the CD onto my hard drive and install from there but I'd like
to be able to access the CDROM drive in the future from Linux as well.

T. Gibson

2. Problem with xdos

3. Linux on 2nd IDE drive on 2nd IDE controller?

4. Soundblaster AWE 64 PnP Value

5. Can't mount IDE/ATAPI CDROM (can't find filesystem)

6. HPs aCC -z option

7. Summary: Can't mount IDE/ATAPI CDROM (can't find filesystem)

8. maximum tape block size on 15/30 GB DLT drive

9. IDE/ATAPI kernel (1.2.13) won't recognize secondary controller

10. Atapi cdrom problem: wrong speed found by ide-cdrom

11. IDE/ATAPI FX400 CDROM won't mount

12. ATAPI IDE CDROM won't work

13. Help: Wont find 2nd Ide controller from HD But will on the floppy