email setup

Post by Bob Jone » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 18:47:46

I'm trying to setup email server on Mandrake Linux 8.1 and am wondering what
is used for pop server. I plan on using Postfix for email which has SMTP
server built in and I want to be able to have POP account on remote system
so that I can pull email from server through Outlook Express.

Don't I need to have a POP server setup on my Linux server for this? If so,
what is a good POP server for Linux?

email setup

Post by mw » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 22:23:06

says...
Quote:> I'm trying to setup email server on Mandrake Linux 8.1 and am wondering what
> is used for pop server. I plan on using Postfix for email which has SMTP
> server built in and I want to be able to have POP account on remote system
> so that I can pull email from server through Outlook Express.

> Don't I need to have a POP server setup on my Linux server for this? If so,
> what is a good POP server for Linux?

Yes you will need a pop3 server, Mandrake installs one by default unless
you specifically excluded the package.
--
Regards,
Mark

Samba Setup Guide
http://samba.netfirms.com
http://members.shaw.ca/markswebb/index.htm

"If McDonalds offered a free Big Mac in exchange for a DNA sample,
there'd be lines around the block"
-- Bruce Schneier

email setup

Post by Frank Hah » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 23:09:46

Quote:> I'm trying to setup email server on Mandrake Linux 8.1 and am
> wondering what is used for pop server. I plan on using Postfix for
> email which has SMTP server built in and I want to be able to have
> POP account on remote system so that I can pull email from server
> through Outlook Express.

> Don't I need to have a POP server setup on my Linux server for this?
> If so, what is a good POP server for Linux?

I use qpopper on a Solaris box and it was easy to install.  A search
of http://www.google.com should find it.

I am sure that Mandrake probably has a package with a pop server on
the CD somewhere, but I can't help with that.

--
Frank Hahn

Some people in this department wouldn't recognize subtlety if it hit
them on the head.

email setup

Post by S. Par » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 10:45:46

> I'm trying to setup email server on Mandrake Linux 8.1 and am wondering
> what is used for pop server. I plan on using Postfix for email which has
> SMTP server built in and I want to be able to have POP account on remote
> system so that I can pull email from server through Outlook Express.

> Don't I need to have a POP server setup on my Linux server for this? If
> so, what is a good POP server for Linux?

imap-2000c-7mdk.i586.rpm is the package for POP server. Check if you
installed it using "rpm -qi imap". If installed, edit /etc/xinetd.d/ipop3
to change "disable=yes" to "disable=no", and restart xinetd. xinetd is
most likely installed. If you want more on POP, you can try to use pop3s
which is POP/SSL. Outlook Express supports SSL.

Regards.

1. NCR Unix Send/Rec Email - Setup?

I'm using a NCR 4300 running Unix 03.02.00 SRV 4.

1. How do I configure the NCR to Dial-up Demon Internet and send/receive
email?

2. Are there step-by-step instructions anywhere for setting up pppd?

3. How do I setup Routing?

4. What about /uucp/systems - What is this?

5. We have a gateway that goes to our sales centres using ISDN, could we
use the Primary rate ISDN line to send and receive email?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance?
Michael

2. X manager other that XDM

3. email setup

4. gcc 2.81 bug?

5. email setup on RH 6.1

6. Makefile problem

7. Sendmail external email setup

8. Creating swap

9. Netscape email setup (newbie)

10. SMTP email setup

11. email setup

12. Email setup, multiple accounts multiple people

13. Simple One Account Email Setup