PAS 16 SCSI, Toshiba 4x CD-ROM, help

Post by jeff clar » Wed, 02 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I'm trying to install Linux from the InfoMagic CD-ROM distribution, When
I boot with the disks made from the program on the CD, Linux seems to
recognize both the card and the ROM drive with the following:

Pro Audio Spectrum 16 SCSI
SCSI: 1 hosts.
Vendor:  Toshiba                    model: CD-ROM XM-3601TA REV:0265
Type: CD-ROM                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02
scsi: detected total

However, when I run the installation program and select to install from
CD-ROM, SCSI, it says it is unable to access the CD-ROM, abort, retry,
ignore.  retrying does nothing. I also can't seem to read the drive at
the prompt, I'm assuming that it has been mounted as /cdrom ??

The controller built into the PAS is a trantor, and I can find no way to
tell what IRQ it is using, or to change it, but the card and drive work
perfectly in Dos, OS/2, and Windows.

Jeff Clark

PAS 16 SCSI, Toshiba 4x CD-ROM, help

Post by Brian Mcginn » Fri, 04 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>I'm trying to install Linux from the InfoMagic CD-ROM distribution, When
>I boot with the disks made from the program on the CD, Linux seems to
>recognize both the card and the ROM drive with the following:

What version of the CD are you using? The Dec 94 release had the problem
but the March release is OK. Work around - just make an A & AP series disks
and the boot disk. Boot and install from the disks then install the rest of the packages
from CDROM.

BMC

1. PAS 16 CD-ROM and Slakware96, mounting CD-ROM crashes system

Greetings:

 I installed Linux 2.0.0 from the Slakware96 distribution on a 486 PC
that has a Pro Audio Spectrum 16 CD-ROM drive. I installed from floppies
because none of the pre-compiled kernels would work with the drive. I
figured I would build my own kernel that would be customized for my
hardware configuration and then voila --- the CD-ROM drive would be
recognized, etc.
 Nonetheless, with every kernel I have used, whether it was supplied
with the Slakware distribution, or one that I built myself, I run into
the following situation:

 1.) If I boot the machine with a CD-ROM disk in the drive, the little
green light on the driver lights up and then about 20 seconds later the
machine crashes.
 2.) If I boot without a CD-ROM in the drive I get a healthy machine,
but soon after I try to mount a CD-ROM ... the machine crashes.

 When the machine crashes I get console messages that indicate there has
been a "SCSI hang".
 When the machine boots, the PAS16 SCSI controller and the NEC CD-ROM
drive are both recognized. If there is no CD-ROM in the drive, Linux
will attempt to mount the drive three times and then give up with a
message indicating it has assumed there is not CD-ROM in the drive.

 Any ideas?
--
---------------------------------
No meetings, please!

John Zavgren
617-873-2280

2. Problem with iRiver T30 MP3 player.

3. Problem with MEDIAVISION PAS-16 SCSI CD-ROM

4. Step into shared library.

5. PAS 16/SCSI CD-ROM

6. where to get libg++.so.27 ?

7. Anyone using Linux with PAS-16 SCSI and Chinon 535 CD-ROM??

8. CD Burner

9. Toshiba 4x v. Mitsumi 4x CD-ROM

10. Help with CD-ROM and PAS/16

11. Help with PAS 16 and Sony CD-ROM CDU33A

12. Problem with PAS 16 & Chinon CDS-535 CD-ROM Drive

13. NCR SCSI boards and 16-bit wide 4X CD-ROMs.