root file system above >1024 limit with System Commander?

root file system above >1024 limit with System Commander?

Post by Robert Nicholso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have the following disk layout and ideally would like to keep it.

FAT 16     1027
Openstep   2055
Extended
  NTFS     3074
  Freespace 133
Freespace  1521

Some questions..

I'd like to install RedHat 6.0 in free space but that's gonna be
above >1024 mark.

Is there any thing I can do with System Commander to make this easier?

I also don't mind if I take the external (to the extended partition)
freespace and make it internal but even with Partition Magic 4.02 I
shun doing that because I've been burned messing about with extended
partitions before.

It's there as external because I know I'm allowed four primary partitions

How can I install RedHat 6.0 with the above setup?

I need a root filesystem under 1024MB don't I?

1. Solaris 7 x86/System Commander/big disk (>1024 cyl)

Hello all,

I'm hoping to run plain DOS, Linux and Solaris 7 on the same
box with a single large hard disk (10.1 Gb, 16,000 cylinders).
Of course, all the OS's want to have the bootable section
within the first 1024 cylinders but this would make things
mighty cramped.  I am considering buying System Commander
to simplify things when booting but was wondering if this
would enable me to have the Solaris partition entirely outside
the 1024 cylinder boundary.

...and while I have your attention...

Can I pursuade Solaris to see the entire 10 Gb drive or
am I trapped by the 8 Gb limit?  The BIOS can see all
10 Gb but Solaris can only see 8 Gb with the mode set
to LBA, Large or normal.  Is there an equivalent to the
Linux "append" during booting that would allow me to
enter the disk geometery - or is there an equivalent to
"expert" fdisk when partitioning?

For those interested: This is an IBM UDMA drive and
Solaris has no trouble talking to it (I certainly don't
have to *manually* drop into PIO mode).

     Thanks for any feedback,
          Bernard
--
Bernard P. Murray, PhD

2. SLS or slackware

3. how can i load system that was installed above 1024 cyl?

4. TV out and Linux

5. FreeBSD File System 512 byte-blocks --> 1024 byte-blocks

6. Konica 7060 Copier

7. System Commander problems (was Re: Possible to boot freebsd from system commander?)

8. Guide to PPP/SLIP (long)

9. Enhanced Filing system - file system like DEC Advanced File system for Linux

10. /var file system <==> /usr file system

11. linux root partition past the 1024 cylinder limit??

12. Error: C:1024 > 1023 (BIOS limit)

13. Installing System Commander on a preconfigured dual-boot system ?