How to shut-off on a shut-down?

Post by Corne Beers » Tue, 15 May 2001 17:00:32

Hi,

I'm sure it is possible, I've done it before but I've lost my notes on
the subject: I just installed Suse 6.1 (yes six-dot-one, the old one) on
a labtob (laptop?) and I cannot find how or where to power down the
machine automatically on a shutdown. I know it is something in the
init.d or rc.d directories but I cannot find what or where to configure.

How can I (automatically) power-down my machine on a shutdown?

I don't think it is part of the issue but if it is, my machine is a
Toshiba Satalite Pro 440.

Thanks

CB

--
Everything should be as simple as possible but not simpler - A. Einstein
Corne' Beerse                                   | Alcatel Telecom Nederland

How to shut-off on a shut-down?

Post by Jimbo » Tue, 15 May 2001 17:59:01

> Hi,
> I'm sure it is possible, I've done it before but I've lost my notes on
> the subject: I just installed Suse 6.1 (yes six-dot-one, the old one) on
> a labtob (laptop?) and I cannot find how or where to power down the
> machine automatically on a shutdown. I know it is something in the
> init.d or rc.d directories but I cannot find what or where to configure.
> How can I (automatically) power-down my machine on a shutdown?

Enable APM (Advanced Power Management) in the kernel and then in lilo.conf
(I only know how to do it if you are using lilo) add the line...

append="apm-power-off"

Quote:> I don't think it is part of the issue but if it is, my machine is a

Post by Peter T. Breue » Tue, 15 May 2001 20:13:23

> Enable APM (Advanced Power Management) in the kernel and then in lilo.conf

Try "modprobe apm".  (for this to work, ACPI must NOT be compiled in
the kernel, or you have to be lucky and have it compiled but not
working - acpi=off is not enough to disable it).

Quote:> append="apm-power-off"
>> I don't think it is part of the issue but if it is, my machine is a
>> Toshiba Satalite Pro 440.

Peter