irc client

Post by John Wrenshal » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Could anyone recommend an irc client for use under Linux?

John Wrenshall

irc client

Post by Phil DeBecke » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Could anyone recommend an irc client for use under Linux?

> John Wrenshall

I use tkirc.  It's an X front end for ircII, which is included in most
distributions.  It has the advantage of multi-window operation,
user-defineable menus (with nice defaults), and push-button automation
of common server, channel, and user-oriented tasks (switching
channels/servers, ctcp, dcc, etc).  However, since it's a front end,
it's very small (~40k) and lets you use all of your standard ircII
commands, scripts, etc.  tkirc can be found at
http://home.pages.de/~tkirc/

Hope this helps,
Phil

irc client

Post by Marco Angles » Thu, 09 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>Could anyone recommend an irc client for use under Linux?

For shell - epic or ircii, sirc if you're low on memory.

For x - zircon or tkirc.

--

http://squawk.klue.on.ca  I thought, as I poured whiskey onto my granola
Running Debian Linux 2.0  and faced a new day.

irc client

Post by Brian Abbot » Fri, 10 Apr 1998 04:00:00

:> Could anyone recommend an irc client for use under Linux?
:>
:> John Wrenshall

 I agree, tkirc is my favorite x-based irc client.

If you're using a command-line client and don't like ircII,
*X deserves a look.

another text-based client that I personally like is called 'sirc'
It's written in perl, which makes it extremely easy to hack,
should you feel the urge to do so.

brian

1. Can't keep my IRC connections stable with text-based IRC clients?

Hello.

I replaced my old Netgear RT311 router last night with an old Linksys
BEFSX41 (latest firmware v1.52.15). However, I am having problems
keeping my IRC programs staying connected. After about every five
minutes, they get disconnected.

The router's firewall log had these lines:
2008-10-18 22:17:12 1586/TCP from [deleted IRC's IP address]:6667 to
192.168.0.22:1586 Invalid TCP packet received, dropping packet
Note: Changed 192.168.1.xxx to 192.168.0.xxx so I didn't have to
reconfigure the computers' IP addresses after swapping from an old
Netgear RT311 router.

 From what I can see online with Google searches, this is a known issue
since people seems to have this problem and no solution/fixes (even
after five years or so? Wow!).

I did notice a pattern. It seems like text based IRC clients (e.g.,
BitchX) and IRC bots (info and chat types) get disconnected after about
five minutes. With GUI clients (SeaMonkey, and Trillian Basic), I don't
get disconnected.

What's up with that and is there a way to fix this since I prefer text
based clients? Thank you in advance. :)
--
"... Let's go pour these (peas from a can) onto an anthill I've found."
--Strong Bad (Witness the Cheatar! episode)

  | |o   o| |        Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net

2. Max. number of sockets/fds!

3. X-Based IRC Client

4. Canon BJ80 printer

5. IRC clients for Linux 2.0?

6. Appletalk - Samba equivalent, is it out there?

7. IRC client??

8. Redhat4.0 / MetroX

9. visual IRC client for Linux?!

10. /sound command for an irc client?