PATH

Post by e.. » Sat, 21 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I need to temporarily change the path while working on  some programs.
I do not want to make these changes permanent.  I cannot find any man
or help file that tells how to do this on a temporsry basis.  Any help
please???

TIA

PATH

Post by Jürgen Exne » Sat, 21 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Depends on the shell you are using, for the [t]csh try "setenv $PATH
<whateveryoulike>"

See the man page for your shell about the syntax for setting environment
variables.

jue

--
Jrgen Exner; jurgenex AT microsoft.com
Sorry for this anti-spam inconvenience

>I need to temporarily change the path while working on  some programs.
>I do not want to make these changes permanent.  I cannot find any man
>or help file that tells how to do this on a temporsry basis.  Any help
>please???

>TIA

PATH

Post by Juergen Hein » Sat, 21 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>I need to temporarily change the path while working on  some programs.
>I do not want to make these changes permanent.  I cannot find any man
>or help file that tells how to do this on a temporsry basis.  Any help
>please???

at the $ prompt type sh (or ksh or bash, whatever shell you work with),
then change the PATH, say export PATH=...:...:...:...: and when done
just exit this shell level.

Bye, Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Juergen Heinzl     \       no flames      /

  \ Phone Private : +49 911-4501186    \                  /

1. add in the PATH a path if not present in the PATH

I look for a function in POSIX shell. this function must add path in the
$PATH if it isn't present.
by example:
I want add /bin in PATH
echo $PATH
--> /bin:/usr/bin
/bin is in the PATH then i don't add /bin
If I want add /usr/local/bin
/usr/local/bin isn't in the PATH then I add:
PATH=${PATH}:/usr/local/bin

  gaetan.schneller.vcf
< 1K Download

2. non-X tn3270 client?

3. ksh: add path to $PATH only when ot yet in $PATH

4. Frequent TCP Errors (R5/iMac/kPPP)

5. zsh's 'typeset -U path' wipes out path/PATH

6. looking for a modem emulator software

7. PATH=$(getconf PATH), but PATH for getconf?

8. newbie needs help

9. set path = "$path" hoses path in tcsh -- why???

10. How to expand paths in $PATH like "~/bin" to full path?

11. Relative path to Absolute path

12. tcsh PATH, path, and ~: bug or feature?

13. how to add a path to my path variable