Kernel-Patches

Post by Michae » Sun, 23 May 1999 04:00:00

Hello,
how can I use the Kernel-Patches which can be downloaded from the
Linux-Kernel HQ? After I downloaded the patch files (which all end with
.gz) I am unable to decompress them. All GZip programms (zcaz, gunzip
and so on) just say "this is not a gzip file". I downloaded those
patches many times and from many different locations but had the same
problem all the time. Since I am new to Linux I probably dont recognise
sth. obvious, but I couldnt find the solution for the problem myself,
so I would appreciate any help.

Michael

Kernel-Patches

Post by Paul Kimo » Sun, 23 May 1999 04:00:00

> how can I use the Kernel-Patches which can be downloaded from the
> Linux-Kernel HQ? After I downloaded the patch files (which all end with
> .gz) I am unable to decompress them. All GZip programms (zcaz, gunzip
> and so on) just say "this is not a gzip file". I downloaded those
> patches many times and from many different locations but had the same
> problem all the time.

If you downloaded using a web browser, it might have uncompressed
the files for you without changing the filename.  If you downloaded
through ftp, you might have failed to specify the binary ("image")
format.

--

Kernel-Patches

Post by Bjarne Nygaar » Mon, 24 May 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,
> how can I use the Kernel-Patches which can be downloaded from the
> Linux-Kernel HQ? After I downloaded the patch files (which all end with
> .gz) I am unable to decompress them. All GZip programms (zcaz, gunzip

Please read the README file in the /usr/src/linux dir.
(or whatever the linux source base directory is called)
In this file you will get explanation on your questions.
But read all through.

Quote:

> and so on) just say "this is not a gzip file". I downloaded those
> patches many times and from many different locations but had the same
> problem all the time. Since I am new to Linux I probably dont recognise
> sth. obvious, but I couldnt find the solution for the problem myself,
> so I would appreciate any help.

> Michael

cu
Bjarne

|          ---this space is not intentionally left blank---            |

Kernel-Patches

Post by rob » Mon, 24 May 1999 04:00:00

> > how can I use the Kernel-Patches which can be downloaded from the
> > Linux-Kernel HQ? After I downloaded the patch files (which all end with
> > .gz) I am unable to decompress them. All GZip programms (zcaz, gunzip
> > and so on) just say "this is not a gzip file". I downloaded those
> > patches many times and from many different locations but had the same
> > problem all the time.

> If you downloaded using a web browser, it might have uncompressed
> the files for you without changing the filename.  If you downloaded
> through ftp, you might have failed to specify the binary ("image")
> format.

> --

Just put them in the /usr/src  dir
then type gzip -cd *.gz | patch -p1

The *.gz is if you do not have ant other files there in gz format..

there is more info like this at http://www.coldbird.com

Rob

--

//\  | Home of the ColdBird (AKA The Penguin's Pond!!)
V_/_ | http://www.coldbird.com             ICQ# 272853

Kernel-Patches

Post by Mohd H Misn » Mon, 24 May 1999 04:00:00

>Hello,
>how can I use the Kernel-Patches which can be downloaded from the
>Linux-Kernel HQ? After I downloaded the patch files (which all end with
>.gz) I am unable to decompress them. All GZip programms (zcaz, gunzip
>and so on) just say "this is not a gzip file". I downloaded those
>patches many times and from many different locations but had the same
>problem all the time. Since I am new to Linux I probably dont recognise
>sth. obvious, but I couldnt find the solution for the problem myself,
>so I would appreciate any help.

If you downloaded the files from your web browser (Netscape particularly), the
extension will be stripped off and you need to manually putting back the .gz
extension (this happened to me most of the time). If you've access to ftp, ftp
it over from one of the mirror sites listed and make sure you do a binary
download. To apply the patches, do the following:

# cd /usr/src/
# gunzip -c patch-2.x.x.tgz | patch -p0

--

|MacOS 8.6    +   |http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/3319/      |M|
|AMD K6-2/300 +   |We want to take over the world, but we don't have |a|

Kernel-Patches

Post by Michael Gibso » Tue, 25 May 1999 04:00:00

>If you downloaded the files from your web browser (Netscape particularly), the
>extension will be stripped off and you need to manually putting back the .gz
>extension (this happened to me most of the time). If you've access to ftp, ftp
>it over from one of the mirror sites listed and make sure you do a binary
>download. To apply the patches, do the following:

># cd /usr/src/
># gunzip -c patch-2.x.x.tgz | patch -p0

        Or even better.  Move the patch files into the /usr/src directory.  cd
into the /usr/src directory and type

linux/scripts/patch-kernel

        This will automatically sort through the patch files you have and if
there is more than one will install them in the correct order.  It's never
failed for me yet.

Michael