system hangs 4am every day

Post by Jackson Donald » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Got Linux (RH5.1) installed on my laptop, things are pretty OK,
console's fine, X w/ fvwm2 is fine, beginning to get some work done.

However, at about 4:01:30 local time every day, the system locks up.
Drive is spinning, but process stopped, get no response to keyboard or
mouse or voice inputs, have to turn the machine off to regain control.
When it comes back up there's some fsck complaining, which always
reminds me of another operating system...  This happens both in console
sessions and in X sessions.  I found out the time it happens using a
loop that writes $(ps) and $(date) to screen and to disk every ten
seconds.

There was a screen saver that I managed to turn off in X via .xinitrc.
There still is something blanking the screen in console sessions, don't
know what, would turn it off if I could.  I have turned off all
power-saving features in BIOS.

I'm going to need this thing to run overnight pretty soon.

Laptop details: it's a Micron Transport XPE, chipset Cirrus Logic
GD7555.  Not on the list supported by RH.  Rather than take 7548 specs,
I used details that I found from someone else's file on the net and what
I knew from Micron about vert horiz etc.

Anything else I should tell you?  All help appreciated.

Jack

system hangs 4am every day

Post by Oliver D. Bedfor » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> However, at about 4:01:30 local time every day, the system locks up.
> Drive is spinning, but process stopped, get no response to keyboard or
> mouse or voice inputs, have to turn the machine off to regain control.

  Could be cron job. Have a look at /etc/crontab and /etc/cron.daily/

  To gain more information you could log all (level=debug) messages via
syslog.

  Oliver

system hangs 4am every day

Post by Dr Paul Kinsl » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Anything else I should tell you?  All help appreciated.

You could tell us when you've read the man pages for "updatedb",
"locate", and checked your "crontab" file for things that might
run in the early hours, like, er, updatedb. ;-)

  man updatdb
  man locate
  man crontab

and, as root,

  crontab -l

--
------------------------------+------------------------------
Dr. Paul Kinsler

WEB: http://www.ee.leeds.ac.uk/staff/pk/P.Kinsler.html

system hangs 4am every day

Post by Lew Pitch » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Likely it's the updatedb cron job that updates the database used by
the locate command. My cron job runs at 04:40 every night ;-)

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999 18:48:20 +0200, "Oliver D. Bedford"

>> However, at about 4:01:30 local time every day, the system locks up.
>> Drive is spinning, but process stopped, get no response to keyboard or
>> mouse or voice inputs, have to turn the machine off to regain control.

>  Could be cron job. Have a look at /etc/crontab and /etc/cron.daily/

>  To gain more information you could log all (level=debug) messages via
>syslog.

>  Oliver

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant, Development Services
Toronto Dominion Bank

system hangs 4am every day

Post by Stan » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> However, at about 4:01:30 local time every day, the system locks up.

Have you checked crontabs?  Possibly there is something that has been set to
start at that time, and it's not configured correctly.  Is there anything in
your syslog that could give a clue?
--
Stan

This message was sent to you from a machine powered by Linux...
(...for those who need to do more than peek through windows)

Suse 6.0 with Kernel 2.2.10

system hangs 4am every day

Post by Acety » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>There was a screen saver that I managed to turn off in X via .xinitrc.
>There still is something blanking the screen in console sessions, don't
>know what, would turn it off if I could.  I have turned off all
>power-saving features in BIOS.

I can't find it any more (still looking) but there is a command in .bashrc
or .profile thank tells the shell to blank the console every few minutes
without interaction. It's pretty standard with all distributions.

system hangs 4am every day

Post by korth.. » Sat, 26 Jun 1999 04:00:00

<snip>
Quote:>There was a screen saver that I managed to turn off in X via .xinitrc.
>There still is something blanking the screen in console sessions, don't
>know what, would turn it off if I could.  I have turned off all
>power-saving features in BIOS.

<snip>

man setterm

korthals

system hangs 4am every day

Post by Richard R Ure » Sun, 27 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>  To gain more information you could log all (level=debug) messages via
>syslog.

Or simply try to run whatever is in the crontab by hand and
look at what kind of error messages pop upin the console.

system hangs 4am every day

Post by Bill Hacket » Mon, 28 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> >  To gain more information you could log all (level=debug) messages via
> >syslog.

> Or simply try to run whatever is in the crontab by hand and
> look at what kind of error messages pop upin the console.

Sorry I didn't see the original post.

My RedHat 5.2 would run updatedb at 4 am

Bill

1. anacron runs daily at 4am (cron is not starting it, WHAT IS?)

I would like to use cron to start anacron daily, but
my syslog indicates that anacron is being started
daily at 04:00 AM.  I have only a root crontab, and it
does NOT contain a command to start anacron, so what
is starting anacron at 4am??

This is happening on both a Red Hat 6.2 and Red Hat 7.2
box.

thanks!,

Tom

2. Perl & v1.1.94

3. Apache turns down every sunday morning at 4:00

4. SANE 1.0.8 and Canon parallel-port scanners

5. TCP/IP Hangs every day (almost) on OSR505

6. 0513-656 Timeout waiting for command response

7. Linux box hangs *every* three days

8. ipmasqadm and portfw

9. hpux shell script using a for loop for every hour of every day

10. System reboots every few days, cron job or syslogd?

11. WordPerfect hangs if system up more than 248 days

12. Apache breaks every day!

13. Execute "every 10 days" ???