CUPS - getting it running under Mandrake 8

CUPS - getting it running under Mandrake 8

Post by Ken Knec » Fri, 22 Jun 2001 00:40:51

I can't get my HP LJIII printer to work under LM 8. It works
fine under DOS on the same computer.

I installed KUPS and the required CUPS RPMs with the Software
Manager.

Under KDE, Configuration -> Printing -> Kupsdonf says

File 'etc/cups/cupsd.conf' doesn't exist

Configuration -> Printing -> KUPS says, at the bottom of the
window,

'Can't connect to a CUPS server. Check your options!'

If I try to add a printer/class I get

'No port detected on this computer'

But in /var/log/messages one entry is

parport0: PC-style at 0x3bc [PCSPP]

The printer is connected to this only parallel port. There is an
lp0 in /dev. Reading it shows

File lp0 col0 0 bytes [grow] 100%

Trying to look at lp1 or lp2 gives

"no such device or address"

Finally, from the CUPS HOWTO at sourceforge.net, I ran

cupsd &

The response was

Unable to read confuration file '/etc/cups/cupsd.conf' -
exiting!

Suggestions?

TIA

Post by Robert Davie » Fri, 22 Jun 2001 04:57:38

> I can't get my HP LJIII printer to work under LM 8. It works
> fine under DOS on the same computer.

> I installed KUPS and the required CUPS RPMs with the Software
> Manager.

1) Mandrake have issued some fixes to CUPS etc
   There community bulletin discussed it.

2) There's an explanation and correct driver files at www.linuxprinting.org.
   It tells you how to configure CUPS, if Mandrake is not configuring it
for you, for you printer.

Rob

1. CUPS packaging: .cups not -cups

Finally, I found out why my cups works from the admin tool but fails
otherwise: RPM installation didn't create symblinks to lpr, lpq, etc.
Although I read from man pages about lpr-cups, lpc-cups, and so on, they
exist on the hard disk as lpr.cups, lpc.cups, and so on.  Here are a few
questions:

1. Where does this naming descrepency come from?  RedHat, CUPS, or
somewhere else?

2. I think RH installs lpd printing by default but I may have explicitly
chosen to do so; I probably also chose to install CUPS at the same time.
  Could this be the reason why symblinks are not created?  Or the cups
RPM doesn't create any, period?

3. Now that I discovered the real naming convention, I can cope with
command-line and Mozilla, maybe a couple of other applications that
allow explicit printing facility configuration.  But I encounter
programs like xpdf that jumps into Mozilla every time I download a PDF
file. (I don't see GhostView installed, though GhostScript is by
default.)  There's no printing config in xpdf except paper format.  I
believe it defaults to lpr.  Any way to change this( without linking
lpr.cups to lpr)?

Thanks.

Yuan Liu

2. ksh array question

3. "CUPS Server Not Running" error, but it is running!

4. ftp Proxy help needed

5. Mandrake CUPS Samba Printing

6. RedHat 5.2 & SB 16 Pnp

7. Sharing a WinXP printer with Samba/CUPS/Mandrake 9.1

8. Apache Survey & Free Offer

9. samba, mandrake 7.2 and cups, or, samba follies

10. Cups causing an USB printer to crash the system in Mandrake 8.0.

11. Lexmark Z53 and Mandrake 8.1 (CUPS or LPD)???

12. Mandrake 7.2, CUPS and Samba

13. Mandrake 7.1 & CUPS Printing ver 1.1.4