PPP Default Route Problem

Post by Bill V » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi

I can successfully log in to my ISP using RH5.2 minicom and can ping the
server.  When I run route -n, I see only 1 ppp0 connection I see 2 eth0
lines).  The PPP howto says I should see 2 ppp connections, and that my
'default route' is set incorrectly.  The howto mentions a configuration
file, but not 'which' file.  I think I'm supposed to change a line in this
file to 'add default net'.  Does anyone know the name of this file.

I read similar problem that said it was solved by adding 'route add default
ppp0' to their ppp-on file.  Would this work for me?

So close, yet so far. :-)

--

Bill Vandiver
Business Management Systems

I hear the long lowly wail of a forlorn fish a'callin me Cap'n,
I think it's Moby Bass.
Grab the harpoons and lower the long boats mateys, we're going
after 'im.

PPP Default Route Problem

Post by Michael Silvestr » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Are you starting the ppp connection by using the ppp-on script or are you
starting pppd by hand? However you run pppd, you should add the option
defaultroute. This should solve your problem by adding the second entry in the
routing table for ppp0.

Mike Silvestro

> Hi

> I can successfully log in to my ISP using RH5.2 minicom and can ping the
> server.  When I run route -n, I see only 1 ppp0 connection I see 2 eth0
> lines).  The PPP howto says I should see 2 ppp connections, and that my
> 'default route' is set incorrectly.  The howto mentions a configuration
> file, but not 'which' file.  I think I'm supposed to change a line in this
> file to 'add default net'.  Does anyone know the name of this file.

> I read similar problem that said it was solved by adding 'route add default
> ppp0' to their ppp-on file.  Would this work for me?

> So close, yet so far. :-)

> --

> Bill Vandiver
> Business Management Systems
> 502-782-1690

> I hear the long lowly wail of a forlorn fish a'callin me Cap'n,
> I think it's Moby Bass.
> Grab the harpoons and lower the long boats mateys, we're going
> after 'im.

PPP Default Route Problem

Post by Bill Unr » Thu, 22 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I can successfully log in to my ISP using RH5.2 minicom and can ping the
>server.  When I run route -n, I see only 1 ppp0 connection I see 2 eth0
>lines).  The PPP howto says I should see 2 ppp connections, and that my
>'default route' is set incorrectly.  The howto mentions a configuration
>file, but not 'which' file.  I think I'm supposed to change a line in this
>file to 'add default net'.  Does anyone know the name of this file.
>I read similar problem that said it was solved by adding 'route add default
>ppp0' to their ppp-on file.  Would this work for me?

Redhat (and maybe other distributions) assume that if you have an eth0,
that you want it to be your default. A bad assumption. you should set up
explicit routes to all of the machines or subnets on your eth0 link, and
reserve the default for the ppp0 connection.
At worst, add
route del default
to the end of the rc.local file (/etc/rc.d/rc.local in RedHat)
to get rid of the default route to your ethernet.
Then run pppd with the defaultroute option (eg in /etc/ppp/options)

PPP Default Route Problem

Post by James Mand » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00

"route del -net 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0 dev eth0"
then
"route add -net 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0 dev ppp0"

Remove the gateway and gateway device lines from /etc/sysconfig/network
Add to /etc/ppp/options  "defaultroute"

Cheers, James.

> I can successfully log in to my ISP using RH5.2 minicom and can ping the
> server.  When I run route -n, I see only 1 ppp0 connection I see 2 eth0
> lines).  The PPP howto says I should see 2 ppp connections, and that my
> 'default route' is set incorrectly.  The howto mentions a configuration
> file, but not 'which' file.  I think I'm supposed to change a line in this
> file to 'add default net'.  Does anyone know the name of this file.

> I read similar problem that said it was solved by adding 'route add
default
> ppp0' to their ppp-on file.  Would this work for me?

> So close, yet so far. :-)

> --

> Bill Vandiver
> Business Management Systems
> 502-782-1690

> I hear the long lowly wail of a forlorn fish a'callin me Cap'n,
> I think it's Moby Bass.
> Grab the harpoons and lower the long boats mateys, we're going
> after 'im.

PPP Default Route Problem

Post by jfl.. » Sun, 25 Apr 1999 04:00:00

You said two other eth0 lines in your routing table? Perhaps the
ethernet card already is the default route. Remember, you can only have
one default route. If the eth0 device
already has it then, it's probably blocking the pppd from setting it.
Even so, I seem to
recall with RH5.2 that my pppd was not being allowed to set up the
default route when
my network card was configured. You may want to try disabling your eth0
card (temporarily) and trying to see if ppp will work all by itself. The
configuration files for ppp on RH 5.2 are
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts .... for your PPP connection you
should
have one called ifcfg-ppp0. If you use linuxconf (the gui sys admin
tool) it will
generate these files for you. Once they're there, you can also edit them
by hand.... and
after all real men *still* use vi and the command line ..... right?  The
line in
the ifcfg-ppp0 file
DEFROUTE="yes"
should be turned on. This tells the script to use the ppp interface as
the default route.
But remember, this will fail if the default route is already set by
another interface.

Happy configuring and try to minimize the cross posting. One news group
is usually sufficient.

PPP Default Route Problem

Post by Lash Brigg » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I have set up a Linux dial-in server.  I can dial-in successfully from a Win95
machine and can browse the dial-in server.  However, I can't access the LAN that
the server is connected to.  I do have IPForwarding enabled, and have
"defaultroute" in the /etc/ppp/options file.  Any ideas or can anyone point me
anywhere?  I've been through a lot of documentation on the web, and still can't
get it to work.

Thanks!
Lash

> "route del -net 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0 dev eth0"
> then
> "route add -net 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0 dev ppp0"

> Remove the gateway and gateway device lines from /etc/sysconfig/network
> Add to /etc/ppp/options  "defaultroute"

> Cheers, James.

> > I can successfully log in to my ISP using RH5.2 minicom and can ping the
> > server.  When I run route -n, I see only 1 ppp0 connection I see 2 eth0
> > lines).  The PPP howto says I should see 2 ppp connections, and that my
> > 'default route' is set incorrectly.  The howto mentions a configuration
> > file, but not 'which' file.  I think I'm supposed to change a line in this
> > file to 'add default net'.  Does anyone know the name of this file.

> > I read similar problem that said it was solved by adding 'route add
> default
> > ppp0' to their ppp-on file.  Would this work for me?

> > So close, yet so far. :-)

> > --

> > Bill Vandiver
> > Business Management Systems
> > 502-782-1690

> > I hear the long lowly wail of a forlorn fish a'callin me Cap'n,
> > I think it's Moby Bass.
> > Grab the harpoons and lower the long boats mateys, we're going
> > after 'im.

1. PPP default route problem

Hi,

Here's my set up on OCEAN, the ppp server:
        routed is not running, nor is gated
        I've set up a ppp account with a ppplogin script
        I have a defaultroute to my gateway
        nothing special with ifconfig or route
        I have recompiled the kernal for IP forwarding
        have set up resolv.conf & hosts

Using Trumpet from SKY, my computer at home, I can dial into
OCEAN and send/recieve packets just fine, using Netscape, for example.

But... unless I use an actual IP I cannot go beyond OCEAN - i.e. I cannot
even ping the DNS. I know this must be a routing problem, but having poured
over NET-2 HOWTO and the PPP-HOWTO, I still cannot get around this problem.
Simple ROUTE ADD's do not stay since I'm not running gated, but do I really
need to do this?

Any help would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance,
--Peter

2. Codesize of C++

3. Solaris 2.6 PPP default route problem

4. HOW TO make g4 dual boot

5. PPP default route problems??

6. User mountable devices

7. PPP-default route problem

8. ADSL Timeouts

9. routing tabels loosing default route using PPP

10. PPP and kernel 1.3.5[78] default route problem

11. PPP and default route problem

12. ppp & default route problem

13. ppp problem: "not replacing existing default route ..."