RH 6.1 deleted the partition table on my second drive!

RH 6.1 deleted the partition table on my second drive!

Post by bald.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have a RH 6.0 system (ADM K6-200) withthe following drive:
hda( 1 ext2 (\); 2 swap)
hdb(cdrom)
hdc(1 ext2 sort of backup not mounted).
So I booted from the CD and let the install run. I was expecting the
DiskDruid. But it never appeared: I had unkownly choose the "novice
install"! Since I have little RAM I had to write the partition data to
disk to make the swap partition. To make a short storie I reinstalled
in expert mode. After which I tried to remount the hdc1 were I had
backed up important client files (which includes tons of binary
data).But there was no partition on it!
Is there any way to save that partition. I havent touched anything. I
just want my data back.

Thanks in advance,
Alejandro G. Belluscio

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Svend Olaf Mikkels » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I have a RH 6.0 system (ADM K6-200) withthe following drive:
>hda( 1 ext2 (\); 2 swap)
>hdb(cdrom)
>hdc(1 ext2 sort of backup not mounted).
>So I booted from the CD and let the install run. I was expecting the
>DiskDruid. But it never appeared: I had unkownly choose the "novice
>install"! Since I have little RAM I had to write the partition data to
>disk to make the swap partition. To make a short storie I reinstalled
>in expert mode. After which I tried to remount the hdc1 were I had
>backed up important client files (which includes tons of binary
>data).But there was no partition on it!
>Is there any way to save that partition. I havent touched anything. I
>just want my data back.

>Thanks in advance,
>Alejandro G. Belluscio

You can boot to DOS, do

findpart 2 fp.txt

and post the content from fp.txt. Similar tools for Linux exists, but
since I know Findpart, I suggest this. Findpart is at the page below.

Note that Findpart numbers cylinders from 0, while Linux fdisk numbers
from 1. In other cases also note that primary partitions can be
restored with Linux fdisk by making a correct entry in the MBR
partition table, while with logical partitions it is important to be
very careful, since wrong entries might make extended partition tables
that damage existing data.
--
Svend Olaf
http://inet.uni2.dk/~svolaf/utilities.htm

RH 6.1 deleted the partition table on my second drive!

Post by mma.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Well, I used to have a PC with three Windows drives (10GB, 17GB, 32GB),
the first holding the Win98 boot partition and also an ancient SuSE
Linux installation. I decided it was time to stop patching up that
installation and install a 2.2 kernel Linux version from scratch, so I
picked up a Cheapbytes RH6.1 CD and assumed it could just install over
the old Linux installation; no such luck, the custom install hung
part-way through. So I backed up the Linux partitions onto a CD and used
the 'Workstation install', which claimed to delete and recreate Linux
partitions and not to touch anything else.

Bad move. Worked fine for Linux, but screwed up the Windows installation
so bad that the machine won't even boot from a Windows boot floppy with
that drive attached; as far as I can tell it's done something hideous to
the partition table so that Linux can still understand it and read the
Windows files, but DOS crashes and burns while trying to work out what
DOS/Windows partitions are on the drive.

In the short term I've been able to backup everything from the 17GB
drive to the 32GB and copy over Windows and Linux to the 17GB drive, and
seem to have a basically working PC now, except that it doesn't boot
with the original C: drive attached. I also had some exciting partition
table adventures while doing the copy, where, for example, I ended up
with Linux thinking the Win98 partition was actually on top of some of
the Linux partitions, so copying the Windows files over trashed the
copied Linux install!

However, I would like to recover the old C: drive for Windows use: how
can I do that if I can't boot Windows with it attached? The only thing I
can think of is to write zeros over the beginning of the drive and hope
I get any partition table data that Windows will look at so I can
repartition and reformat it, but I'm concerned that I'll just end up
screwing up the disk even more... at the moment the only way I can
access it is to install it again as the C: drive and boot Linux from it,
though I guess I can make a Linux boot floppy.

Any better suggestions? In a few months I'll dump it and get another
32GB drive, but that 10GB will come in useful in the meantime.

    Mark

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. RH 5.0 install freaks out drive partition table...now can't fdisk the drive!

        Finally installing RH 5 in my journey to move into other OS's
besides OS/2 (getting off the train before it stops
rolling...)...but I've run into a problem.

        Initially, I tried to install RH on my #2 drive (hdb).  It
worked fine, but crashed in the middle of the install.  Now, I
can access the partitions on the disk, but whenever I fdisk the
drive (via OS/2 or DOS), it crashes fdisk (now THAT is something
I wasn't looking for...) and Partition Magic can't touch the disk
(says it's full, get a 'logical chains' partition error (#120)).

        I tried to re-install RH...crashed again--this time with the
following message:

                RPM of XFree86 failed.  Unpacking failed on file:
                                                        /usr/x11r6/man/man1/xrdb.1x:-1:
                no such file or directory.

        I've tried the rescue option off the install diskettes, but I'm
not well versed yet in *nix-ese and couldn't get fdisk to run so
I'm lost there.

        Any help is appreciated.  Vitals are:

        486DX120 (SP3 motherboard)
        2 HDisks--1 gig each, partitioned in the following:

        Disk 1

                Boot Manager
                C:  Win 95 (hidden)
                C:  DOS/win boot
                E:  OS/2 (under hpfs)
                F: and G: -- both hpfs

        Disk 2

                D:  FAT16
                --a 500 meg partition where I was going to put Linux
                --another hpfs
                --unused partition where the swap file was going to go
                --another FAT16 partition

        Thanx for any help in advance!

*  Servant of El Elohim                *
*    OS/2 User, (hope to add linux)   *
*     Player of VGAP and SFB           *
*   A gentle easterly breeze           *
*         awaiting an omniscient       *
*             Sonrise...Zephyr Q       *

2. Hybrid CD - Solars & Windows98+

3. ppp startup "ifup ppp0" requires two tries RH 6.1

4. Iomega tape drive

5. Why won't RH 6.1 see second CPU?

6. KDE Find hangs system

7. Help! partitioning woes with RH 6.1

8. lowered 'expect' ations

9. Can RH 6.1 be installed from a FAT16 partition?

10. RH 6.1 Text mode install woes (partitioning)

11. Why won't RH 6.1 install in a 4 gig partition????

12. RH 6.1 installable from Win95 partition?

13. large disks - partitions problem with RH 6.1