newbie: win98 and suse linux 6.4 on 30GB HD

newbie: win98 and suse linux 6.4 on 30GB HD

Post by Michel Catuda » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Christoph Fuchs a crit :

Quote:

> Hi all,

> I want to install win98 and suse linux 6.4 on a 30GB HD. Now I don't
> really know what would be the best way to partition my harddrive. I
> thought of 6GB Linux (native and swap), 4GB win98 system and the rest
> extended with 4 logical drives (in that order on the disk) but I don't
> know, whether this is still ok with the 1024 cylinders (if this is still
> a prob..) and whether its a good partitioning scheme.
> Second I don't know whether it's better to use Lilo or loadlin to boot..

> Thanks for every advice or hints what else to consider

You are likely to have a problem with either Winblows or Linux, depending
in which order you put them. I don't know if SuSE 6.4 uses the new
or the old Lilo. In the likely case that it still uses the old lilo you can't
have a boot partition higher than the 1024 cylinder limit.
To resolve the problem just make a 15M partition so you'll have this :

1-Primary 4GB winblows
2-15M /boot
3-6G /
4-Extended --> rest in logical partitions

--
Vous en avez plein l'casse du plantage avec Ti-Mou?
C'est l'temps d'essayer Linux

Post by Christoph Fuch » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi all,

I want to install win98 and suse linux 6.4 on a 30GB HD. Now I don't
really know what would be the best way to partition my harddrive. I
thought of 6GB Linux (native and swap), 4GB win98 system and the rest
extended with 4 logical drives (in that order on the disk) but I don't
know, whether this is still ok with the 1024 cylinders (if this is still
a prob..) and whether its a good partitioning scheme.
Second I don't know whether it's better to use Lilo or loadlin to boot..

Thanks for every advice or hints what else to consider

---
christoph fuchs

1. Connecting win98 workstation to Suse 6.4 server

I was hoping that someone may know the answer to this problem that every one
I know cant sort out.

I have created a Linux SuSe 6.4 machine up, and I'm trying to connect my win
98 machine to it. But nether one sees each other, the IP's are in the same
band but not conflict. I receive no ping, there both configured (as best I
know) in the same way.

Can anyone help Please

2. How do I use PTY's

3. Diald newbie on SUSE 6.4 PPC

4. BootEasy not working for FreeBSD partition!!!! Help!!!

5. Newbie : Suse 6.4 and 3D Geforce Prohet GTS

6. How do I get my current window's id, w/o using the mouse?

7. NFS SuSE 6.0 -> SuSE 6.4 don`t work

8. Is shared memory slower ?

9. partion 6.4 hd for redhat linux

10. Linux + Win95 on 6.4 GB HD

11. Setup for Mediaone road runner one way cable modem on linux (suse 6.4)

12. Mirror partitions with Suse Linux 6.4

13. Ultra100 (Promise) with SuSE Linux 6.4 ?