quick linux install questions

Post by fay aron charl » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 00:03:34

Alright, I just installed RedHat 7.1, and have lots of questions:

1) I set up my user account to use /bin/ksh.  Then I created scripts
   in the following places:
   /etc/profile
   /etc/kshrc
   ~/.profile
   ~/.kshrc

   None of these are read when I login.  The profile scripts set
   the environment variable $ENV correctly.  Why aren't these automatically
   read?

2) When I press backspace, ^? is generated, instead of the standard ^H.  Why?

3) I tried installing a package, and got the message that gdk-pixbuf was
   too low of a number, so I found gdk-pixbuf on the redhat CD and typed:
      $> rpm --install gdk-pixbuf-devel-0.8.0-7.i386.rpm
   and got:
      only packages with major numbers <= 3 are supported by this version of RPM
      error: gdk-pixbuf-devel-0.8.0-7.i386.rpm cannot be installed

4) My middle mouse button doesn't work.  Where's the config file for the mouse?

Thanks for any and all help.

 -aron

1. I have a Quick Question, need quick answer.

I was looking at a computer.
It uses AMI Bios.
How compatible is AMI Bios with Linux?

Later...
 Dave.

David Falk          |"People always make the mistake of dismissing as untrue

                    | their minds cannot readily grasp..." -- Lucius Apuleius

2. Is there a Doctor in the house?

3. Quick Install question

4. IP-masquerading

5. Quick question: can i install diffirent kernel headers to my Kernel version?

6. NIS (yp) for NT?

7. Quick question on installing XFree86

8. GPL GPL?

9. RedHat FTP Install...quick question

10. Quick questions : installing RPM's in X

11. Quick Slackware install questions

12. quick question: when you install GNU software, what directory do you compile it in?

13. Linux gains ground --but don't expect a quick install