Red Hat Linux 6.0 Install Problem

Post by Evert Verhelle » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

After package installation is finished the installation program signals
a mouse configuration error. Except for the printer and password
configuration all other topics from the configuration menu fail as well.

The virtual console which displays messages from the install program
roughly looks like these lines:

* running /usr/sbin/mouseconfig
*       tool failed
* running /usr/sbin/timeconfig
*       tool failed
* running /usr/sbin/ntsysv
*       tool failed

I have tried installing Red Hat 6.0 Linux on another disk drive but
every time the same error occurs at the same spot. I'm using the updated
boot images. Any ideas to solve this issue? Thanks in advance.

--
Evert Verhellen

Post by quiet » Tue, 06 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>After package installation is finished the installation program signals
>a mouse configuration error. Except for the printer and password
>configuration all other topics from the configuration menu fail as well.
>The virtual console which displays messages from the install program
>roughly looks like these lines:
>* running /usr/sbin/mouseconfig
>*   tool failed
>* running /usr/sbin/timeconfig
>*   tool failed
>* running /usr/sbin/ntsysv
>*   tool failed
>I have tried installing Red Hat 6.0 Linux on another disk drive but
>every time the same error occurs at the same spot. I'm using the updated
>boot images. Any ideas to solve this issue? Thanks in advance.
>--
>Evert Verhellen

I had the same problem and resolved it by typing 'expert' at the first
boot prompt. It seems that the install hung trying to autodetect my
mouse. Expert mode of course gives you the option of specifying your
hardware params or autoprobing. After scpecifiying my mouse (Generic
P/S2) I let the install autoprobe everything else and it worked fine.
Hope this helps.

Red Hat Linux 6.0 Install Problem

Post by Clive D.W. Feathe » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>After package installation is finished the installation program signals
>a mouse configuration error. Except for the printer and password
>configuration all other topics from the configuration menu fail as well.

>The virtual console which displays messages from the install program
>roughly looks like these lines:

>* running /usr/sbin/mouseconfig
>*      tool failed
>* running /usr/sbin/timeconfig
>*      tool failed
>* running /usr/sbin/ntsysv
>*      tool failed

I get exactly the same problem.

Investigating a bit, there is no directory /usr/sbin, but the
mouseconfig and so on programs are all in /mnt/usr/sbin. If I symlink
that to /usr/sbin and run mouseconfig, it says "libm.so.6: cannot open
shared object file". That file is in /mnt/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib
(except that it is 5.0.6, not 6).

The whole thing looks like either some symbolic links are missing or
else it was supposed to have chrooted to another directory and didn't.
Anyone got any ideas ?

--

Fax: +44 20 8371 1037 |                      | Web:  <http://www.davros.org>

Post by Michael McConnel » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> >The virtual console which displays messages from the install program
> >roughly looks like these lines:

> >* running /usr/sbin/mouseconfig
> >*      tool failed
> >* running /usr/sbin/timeconfig
> >*      tool failed
> >* running /usr/sbin/ntsysv
> >*      tool failed

> I get exactly the same problem.

> Investigating a bit, there is no directory /usr/sbin, but the
> mouseconfig and so on programs are all in /mnt/usr/sbin. If I symlink
> that to /usr/sbin and run mouseconfig, it says "libm.so.6: cannot open
> shared object file". That file is in /mnt/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib
> (except that it is 5.0.6, not 6).

> The whole thing looks like either some symbolic links are missing or
> else it was supposed to have chrooted to another directory and didn't.
> Anyone got any ideas ?

I've not seen this with RH6 when I plonked it onto my 486 - it worked fine.
Mind you that was my Eridani version, with all the updates merged in. Thuogh,
apart from the new boot disc images, I don't see where any of the updates
touched this.

-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell                     [Red Hat 6.0 Available!]
Eridani Star System  --  The Most Up-to-Date Red Hat Linux CDROMs Available

1. Red Hat linux 6.0 Install Problems

     "Install Exited Abnormally,
Received Sginal 11,
Terminating Progr...."
Bad Linux, Bad Linux!
Recently, we just got Red Hat linux 6.0 and, are already experiencing
what fauliure is like. Get this. We start up the install fine. Then we
go through all the setup procedures, but then, Bang. We get to the
setup part where it has to scan for partitions. Then sudenly in the
Middle, we get the following massage: " Install Exited Abnormally.
Received Signal 11..
Terminating All programs....
it is now safe to shut down your computer."
We've tried numerous methods to try to get rid of it, but to no avail.
Only one word. HELP.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. splitting a partition?

3. Red Hat Linux 6.0 Install Problem

4. Test

5. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

6. Vim telnet problem.

7. Installing RealProducer Plus 6.0 in Red Hat Linux 6.0

8. ttysw_sigwich...not a typewriter

9. Red Hat 6.0 install errors: "Install bootloader"

10. Problems installing Red Hat 6.0.

11. Problems installing OpenSSL from source on Red Hat 6.0

12. Question on a new Red Hat 6.0 Linux install

13. Problem with installing Red Hat 6.0 !