PS/2 mouse not working in XFree86

Post by Ian Richard » Wed, 30 Oct 1996 04:00:00

If you do an ls with the -la option on your /dev directory you should be
able to find out where the /dev/mouse is sym-linked.  If its linked to the
wrong location, you're going to have to rewrite the link.

I've found, however, that Linux doesn't always match parallel and serial
ports with their DOS counterparts as reliably as it could.  For example, on
my system, my mouse was on COM1, or cua0 under Linux.  But it would only
respond to cua1, or COM2.  Additionally, my printer was set on LPT1, or
lp0, but would only respond to lp1.  I guess the rule is that
experimentation is the best policy if you're trying to move over from DOS.

--
Ian Richards

Quote:> I'm running XFree86 3.1.2 from Slackware 3.1 (kernel 2.0) and my mouse
?

Post by Robert Michae » Wed, 30 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I'm running XFree86 3.1.2 from Slackware 3.1 (kernel 2.0) and my mouse
does nothing when I start up X-windows.  I see a black X in the bottom
right,
which might be the mouse, but it does not move.  I saw some suggestions
in these articles for similar problems -- e.g. to "gpm -k" before
"startx", or
to set Protocol to "PS/2" in the config file.  But nothing like that
worked.
My guess is that /dev/mouse is pointing to the wrong thing.  How to tell ?

Any advice ?

  Thanks
  R. Michaels

PS/2 mouse not working in XFree86

Post by Robert Michae » Thu, 31 Oct 1996 04:00:00

  After some trial and error using various suggestions, I found
that the suggestion to assign /dev/mouse to /dev/psaux  did
indeed make my mouse  work in XFree86.   I'm happy again.

   - Bob

Post by Brian Wo » Thu, 31 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: I'm running XFree86 3.1.2 from Slackware 3.1 (kernel 2.0) and my mouse
: does nothing when I start up X-windows.  I see a black X in the bottom
: right,
: which might be the mouse, but it does not move.  I saw some suggestions
: in these articles for similar problems -- e.g. to "gpm -k" before
: "startx", or
: to set Protocol to "PS/2" in the config file.  But nothing like that
: worked.
: My guess is that /dev/mouse is pointing to the wrong thing.  How to tell ?

: Any advice ?

All that you have mentioned is good advice but you may have overlooked
something more obvious:

You need to have support for the PS/2 mouse compiled into your kernel.
I do not believe that slakware has this in by default.

Try compiling a new kernel and answering "yes" to support for
the PS-2 mouse (I think it may say "aux" or something like that)
when running "make config".

--
Brian E.W. Wood

"Would you put your money in a bank which used Windows '95 to manage accounts?"

Post by James Charles Ronald Purbric » Thu, 31 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I'm running XFree86 3.1.2 from Slackware 3.1 (kernel 2.0) and my mouse
> does nothing when I start up X-windows.  I see a black X in the bottom
> right,
> which might be the mouse, but it does not move.  I saw some suggestions
> in these articles for similar problems -- e.g. to "gpm -k" before
> "startx", or
> to set Protocol to "PS/2" in the config file.  But nothing like that
> worked.
> My guess is that /dev/mouse is pointing to the wrong thing.  How to tell ?

> Any advice ?

>   Thanks
>   R. Michaels

I'm having similar problems with my mouse, so if you get anywhere drop me a line.
To find out where /dev/mouse is pointing, go to /dev and do an "ls -l | grep mouse"
the -l switch on ls asks for the long output which tells you file sizes and links.
Grep just filters out lines not containing mouse. This should tell you something
like /dev/mouse -> psaux ie the dev mouse file is a link to the psaux file. The
problem i've got is that the psaux file isn't working. Try cat /dev/mouse, mine
gives back a device doesn't exist error.

Good luck,

Jim Purbrick.

PS/2 mouse not working in XFree86

Post by Robert Michae » Thu, 31 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Thanks for trying to help.  I believe COM1 (DOS-language) is
my phone modem.  Anyway, the suggestion to assign my
/dev/mouse to cua0 or cua1 didn't work for me.   Then I tried
the "experiment" of assigning to other stuff; I ruined everything.
I log in, nothing happens at all.  Maybe my mouse thinks its
my keyboard or vice-versa.  Incidentally another suggestion
I got was to assign mouse to /dev/psaux.  If  I ever decide to
re-do my installation from scratch I'll try that.
I'm beginning to understand why my workplace is still willing
to pay 15k$ for a UNIX workstation which is no better than my
1.5k$ PC, and to hire a UNIX administrator for 45k$/year....

  - Bob

1. Weird mouse behaviour w/ XFree86 3.3.2 and Logitech PS/2 mouse

Hey everyone.  I've just got an annoying problem I'd like to get rid of,
if I can.  Everytime I switch out of X to a virtual console and then
switch back, my mouse is completely unresponsive for about 3 seconds and
then when it does come back, it acts like it's moved around and clicked
on everything, even though I haven't touched it!  For example, when
playing SVGALib-Quake, then quitting out, the mouse selects some text in
the Xterm I launched it from, even though I haven't touched the mouse!

I'm using XFree86 3.3.2 with the Millennium video card (2 MB) and a
Logitech PS/2 mouse.  If anyone knows what's going on, please give me a
shout!

Thanks,
- Greg

--
+----------------------------+--------------------------------------+
|        Greg Hughes         |  "Resistance is futile; you will be  |

+----------------------------+--------------------------------------+

2. socks5-problem

3. ps/2 mouse problem under XFree86 (mouse is busy)

4. Access DM disk, HELP!

5. new PS/2-port and new PS/2-mouse doesn't work

6. JetDirect EX or Netport XL?

7. PS/2 mouse not working

8. which ftpd ?

9. ps/2 Mouse not working

10. PS/2 mouse on portable not working

11. 3-button PS/2 mouse not working

12. redhat 4.1 ps/2 mouse not working!

13. PS/2 mouse not working FreeBSD 4.3 RELEASE