Minicomm setup?

Post by allen kurt savegna » Mon, 28 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

  I have been having a bit of a problem running Minicomm from the command line.
When I invoke it I cannot get the help screen by hitting cntrl-alt-Z command.
The system just locks up.  What am I doing wrong.  I am running the latest
kernel 2.0.30.

  Funny thing though is that it runs from X without any trouble.

  Anyone know how I can get this thing into my desktop on boot-up without
having to go into a file manager first?  I am using fvwn.  Also are there
any good books out there to tell one how to modify the desktop?  I have the
installation thing down pat and have no trouble there.

                                        Best regards,
                                        Kurt Savegnago

 * 1st 2.00 #6533 * You're never a loser until you quit trying.

--

Minicomm setup?

Post by Sourcer » Mon, 28 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello,

>  I have been having a bit of a problem running Minicomm from the command line.
>When I invoke it I cannot get the help screen by hitting cntrl-alt-Z command.
>The system just locks up.  What am I doing wrong.  I am running the latest
>kernel 2.0.30.

One thing you're doing wrong is hitting cntrl-alt-Z -- the default is
cntrl-a z.  What do you mean the system just locks up?

Quote:

>  Funny thing though is that it runs from X without any trouble.

>  Anyone know how I can get this thing into my desktop on boot-up without
>having to go into a file manager first?

Add it to your .xinitrc
exec xterm -e mc &

Quote:>I am using fvwn.  Also are there
>any good books out there to tell one how to modify the desktop?  I have the
>installation thing down pat and have no trouble there.

Look at the default files.  cp to your home dir and edit, renaming to
.<whateveritshouldbe>rc

Find the documentation on your system for fvwm and read it.

Matt Welsh has a good intro to X in Running Linux.

I bought O'Reilly's X Windows System Administrator's Guide for a
dollar in a used bookstore.  There's a user's guide volume in
the O'R set, but never bought it, being smugly content with my
admin-guide-for-a-buck 8-)

--
 (__)    Sourcerer
/(<>)\ O|O|O|O||O||O  "The most empowering information you can get is
  ||   OO|||OO||O||O                    Matt Welsh "Running Linux"

Minicomm setup?

Post by Tod » Mon, 28 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello,

>   I have been having a bit of a problem running Minicomm from the command line.
> When I invoke it I cannot get the help screen by hitting cntrl-alt-Z command.
> The system just locks up.  What am I doing wrong.  I am running the latest
> kernel 2.0.30.

>   Funny thing though is that it runs from X without any trouble.

what about ctrl-a z

Minicomm setup?

Post by John Keime » Tue, 29 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> When I invoke it I cannot get the help screen by hitting cntrl-alt-Z command.
> The system just locks up.  What am I doing wrong.  I am running the > --

Try CTRL-A , then hitting Z for the help menu.

john

-- begin bob code --
$KIdh lwWlm ERd++ m7 CPEIV B11 Ol Le S T++ A5 H6 b4
-- end bob code --

Minicomm setup?

Post by Dave Mag » Tue, 05 Aug 1997 04:00:00

: Hello,

:   I have been having a bit of a problem running Minicomm from the command line.
: When I invoke it I cannot get the help screen by hitting cntrl-alt-Z command.
: The system just locks up.  What am I doing wrong.  I am running the latest
: kernel 2.0.30.
I'm using Minicom 1.71 and to get the help screen you just press
<CTRL-A>, and then <Z>. There is not <ALT> key involved. If you want to
get to he dialing directory you press <CTRL-A>, and then <D>.

:   Funny thing though is that it runs from X without any trouble.
You use the <CTRL-ALT-Fn> combination to change virtual consoles in X.
Then to get back to X you press <CTRL-ALT-F7>. I think that's where
you're getting mixed up.

:   Anyone know how I can get this thing into my desktop on boot-up without
: having to go into a file manager first?  I am using fvwn.  Also are there

Check the .xinitrc file in your home directory for any entries of the
file manger. If you'd don't have that file in your home directory check
the default .xinitrc file in: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/, filename xinitrc.

: any good books out there to tell one how to modify the desktop?  I have the
: installation thing down pat and have no trouble there.

Most O'Reilly & Assoc. books are pretty good. You may want to flip
through their one about Linux.

Minicomm setup?

Post by allen kurt savegna » Wed, 06 Aug 1997 04:00:00

DMo: Hello,

DMo:   I have been having a bit of a problem running Minicomm from the command line.
DMo: When I invoke it I cannot get the help screen by hitting cntrl-alt-Z command.
DMo: The system just locks up.  What am I doing wrong.  I am running the latest
DMo: kernel 2.0.30.
DMoI'm using Minicom 1.71 and to get the help screen you just press
DMo<CTRL-A>, and then <Z>. There is not <ALT> key involved. If you want to
DMoget to he dialing directory you press <CTRL-A>, and then <D>.

DMo:   Funny thing though is that it runs from X without any trouble.
DMoYou use the <CTRL-ALT-Fn> combination to change virtual consoles in X.
DMoThen to get back to X you press <CTRL-ALT-F7>. I think that's where
DMoyou're getting mixed up.

DMo:   Anyone know how I can get this thing into my desktop on boot-up without
DMo: having to go into a file manager first?  I am using fvwn.  Also are there

DMoCheck the .xinitrc file in your home directory for any entries of the
DMofile manger. If you'd don't have that file in your home directory check
DMothe default .xinitrc file in: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/, filename xinitrc.

DMo: any good books out there to tell one how to modify the desktop?  I have the
DMo: installation thing down pat and have no trouble there.

Hello,

  I figured a round about way to get it to work.  I just invoke minicom by
using "minicom -m" and that took care of the problem.  Alt-Z gets me to the
command window now and it runs fine.  Now if I can only find a Linux
friendly ISP in the Peoria, Illinois area and I'll be all set.  I'll of
course have to start working with PPP so I can try to get Netscape up and
running .

                                        Best regards,
                                        Kurt Savegnago

 * 1st 2.00 #6533 * "You've got backup systems.  Let's see if they work!"

--

1. Minicomm not working. Please help.

I have just ftp'd the source for MINICOM off of sunsite.unc.edu.

I have linux .99pl12 and all the up to date libraries and compiler.

After I make all, and try to run the program, I get the following error
message:

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

What does this mean?  I checked the config.h and makefile to make sure
everything was set properly for Linux.

Also I noticed that the make install places the files in /usr/local/bin.  I
don't have a usr/local/bin, just a usr/bin.  Should I just make it a symlink to
usr/bin?

Any help would be appreaciated.

--
Eric Levinson

I can also be reached on my BBS system, Color Galaxy Milky Way (415) 883-0696

2. WinNT & Linux

3. minicomm s-l-o-w modem response.

4. Problems with mouse in fvwm

5. minicomm start-up error

6. Network printing has me *stumped* ;-(

7. Minicomm program not responding when type "ATDT"

8. MPEG2

9. MiniComm Questions

10. Need Help: "/usr/lib/setup/setup: cannot create /mnt/etc/fstab: directory nonexistent"

11. dns setup or apache setup?

12. Firewall setup - ?network setup during installation

13. Linux setup error debuging/any log file for setup ?