Question on fips... vfat support?

Post by write » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

just a quick question. The documentation says fips works with fat 32
and Win 95. Does this mean it also works on win98 and vfat?

thanks

Question on fips... vfat support?

Yes. I did it with WIn 98.

Post by David Ript » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>just a quick question. The documentation says fips works with fat 32
>and Win 95. Does this mean it also works on win98 and vfat?

FAT: What DOS uses.  2 GB partition limit, * cluster sizes.

VFAT: What Win95 (original) uses.  FAT with long filenames hacked
in using extra directory entries.

FAT32: What Win95 OSR2 and Win98 and Win2k use if you choose large
disk support.  VFAT with bigger partitions and less * cluster
sizes.

FAT32 support mostly implies VFAT support.  (Okay, if you boot
with a DOS 7.x boot disk you'll be able to read FAT32 partitions
but not see the long file names.  I think this is intentional
for better backward compatibility, since that's pretty much all
people boot to DOS for these days.)

I used fips to shrink my laptop's 6MB Win98 FAT32 partition so
I could also install Linux.  Worked great.

--

spamgard(tm): To email me, put "geek" in your Subject line.

Question on fips... vfat support?

Post by write » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>FAT: What DOS uses.  2 GB partition limit, * cluster sizes.

>VFAT: What Win95 (original) uses.  FAT with long filenames hacked
>in using extra directory entries.

>FAT32: What Win95 OSR2 and Win98 and Win2k use if you choose large
>disk support.  VFAT with bigger partitions and less * cluster
>sizes.

Damn, yes, of course you are right. Sorry, for some strange reason I
had this second two backwards in my head when I posted the other day.
Oops.

1. FIPS problems with vfat filesystem

When I try to split a 3 Gb hardisk with an existing Win95
installation I get into problems. When I read the info
about the partition split program FIPS that is included
in most Linux distributions, it looks like FIPS can be
used also to split a Win95 formatted parititon.
However I get the message:
"Error: Unknown Filesystem 0Bh
Only Dos Partitions can be split (system indicator byte
must be 4 or 6)"
Is it possible at all to split a Windows 95 filesystem
partition with any version of FIPS or any other program
I should be happy to know!

2. Help: I can't get color on my terminal

3. FIPS & Win95 32Bit VFAT

4. Sam editor from Plan 9..

5. Copy of large file from ext2 to vfat corrupts vfat filesystem.

6. Rackmount Server

7. To FIPS or not to FIPS?

8. COM-Port Programming Java

9. vfat is not vfat but ext2

10. Copying vfat to vfat under Linux: Huge increase in size.

11. vfat not supported

12. vfat support

13. Kernel 2.2.17 ( problem to get vfat support)