starting x windows

Post by Prasanth Kuma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I have just installed redhat 6.2. I am having trouble figuring out how to
> boot to x windows. where can I find information regarding this?

If you have already configured X Windows, then run "startx" at the
console.

If you want to directly boot into X Windows, then edit the file
/etc/inittab
and change the line "id:3:initdefault" to have a 5 instead of 3. But for
this
technique, I suggest to verify with startx first that X windows works
first
before making the changes.

--
Prasanth Kumar

1. Starting X Windows on start up

I've just installed Red Hat 6.0 on an old Pentium 60 machine
that we had around.

After the initial install it was running X Windows at start up, with
a graphic login prompt (I think it's called xdm).

I mistakenly made some changes to the run level, and it's now
starting at the blank command prompt again.

I tried resetting the run level to 5, and editing the /etc/inittab to
reflect id:5:initdefault:

That didn't do it.

What else can I do to get xdm to run at boot time?

Thanks in advance

Scott Smith

2. PBMPLUS gruesome death syndrome

3. Start a program at X-Window start?

4. /var/mail/*.lock

5. How to start a program when a Window Manager is started ?

6. Looking for AMD5486 'halt' patch

7. How to auto start xscreensaver daemon when X & Window Maker starts ?

8. HELP finding IRQ's!!!

9. get unix x-windows program to start microsoft windows program

10. HELP- Shell to start several windows where typing in one window is echoed by others?

11. XWindows starts and starts and starts!!!

12. Can't get emacs to start an X window

13. problems with starting X window on RH 6.1,description of error