AHA-1542C question

Post by JeffRoc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi all... question about my SCSI card.

I am not booting a SCSI device, however I would like to use the SCSI cdrom
and SCSI tape drive. I can boot off my IDE drive just fine. I have RedHAt
6.2 installed, kernel 2.2.14 which I just recompiled with SCSI support. When
I boot, I get constant messages telling me:

aha1542.c Trying to send reset to target X. (Where X cycles through all SCSI
devices, 0 - 6)

It takes forever to boot as well. Any idea what this is?? When it finally
does come up, it says I have one new tape drive, and 6 new CDROM drives. I
do have one tape drive, but only one cdrom as well.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

AHA-1542C question

Post by Gustin Kiffne » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

It looks like the cdrom is on the same LUN as your controller card
(which also takes a LUN).  I believe the controller card is usually on
LUN 7, so change your cdrom LUN to something other than that (and
something other than your tape drive) and see if that helps.

Quote:> Hi all... question about my SCSI card.

> I am not booting a SCSI device, however I would like to use the SCSI
cdrom
> and SCSI tape drive. I can boot off my IDE drive just fine. I have
RedHAt
> 6.2 installed, kernel 2.2.14 which I just recompiled with SCSI
support. When
> I boot, I get constant messages telling me:

> aha1542.c Trying to send reset to target X. (Where X cycles through
all SCSI
> devices, 0 - 6)

> It takes forever to boot as well. Any idea what this is?? When it
finally
> does come up, it says I have one new tape drive, and 6 new CDROM
drives. I
> do have one tape drive, but only one cdrom as well.

> Any ideas? Thanks!!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

AHA-1542C question

Post by Coffe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi all... question about my SCSI card.

> I am not booting a SCSI device, however I would like to use the SCSI cdrom
> and SCSI tape drive. I can boot off my IDE drive just fine. I have RedHAt
> 6.2 installed, kernel 2.2.14 which I just recompiled with SCSI support. When
> I boot, I get constant messages telling me:

> aha1542.c Trying to send reset to target X. (Where X cycles through all SCSI
> devices, 0 - 6)

> It takes forever to boot as well. Any idea what this is?? When it finally
> does come up, it says I have one new tape drive, and 6 new CDROM drives. I
> do have one tape drive, but only one cdrom as well.

> Any ideas? Thanks!!

Jeff,

Recheck your termination on the devices is the only thing I can think of.

--
coffee at indy dot net
RedHat 6.20

AHA-1542C question

Post by mark » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

usually you have to set a jumper on the scsi drives
to tell the drive what scsi-id to use....

HTH,

Mark

AHA-1542C question

Post by Craig Kelle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi all... question about my SCSI card.

> I am not booting a SCSI device, however I would like to use the SCSI cdrom
> and SCSI tape drive. I can boot off my IDE drive just fine. I have RedHAt
> 6.2 installed, kernel 2.2.14 which I just recompiled with SCSI support. When
> I boot, I get constant messages telling me:

You don't have to recompile to add SCSI support, just

  insmod aha1542

will install the kernel module for that card.

Quote:> aha1542.c Trying to send reset to target X. (Where X cycles through all SCSI
> devices, 0 - 6)

> It takes forever to boot as well. Any idea what this is?? When it finally
> does come up, it says I have one new tape drive, and 6 new CDROM drives. I
> do have one tape drive, but only one cdrom as well.

> Any ideas? Thanks!!

Did you give ID 7 to any of your devices (the controller is ID 7)?
Did you duplicate any other ID?  Is everything terminated (ie, both
the controller and the last device need to be terminated)?

AHA-1542C question

Post by Terry Steyaer » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Did you give ID 7 to any of your devices (the controller is ID 7)?
> Did you duplicate any other ID?  Is everything terminated (ie, both
> the controller and the last device need to be terminated)?

Just one note on this, the last comment depends on your configuration.
You don't mention if your devices are internal or external.  (With the
1542, they are all SCSI 2, so we don't need to worry about two
busses!)  If your devices are both internal or both external, the card
needs to be terminated.  If you have one internal and one external
device, the card should NOT be terminated.

There are basically, with 2 devices, three options:

External Device 1

External Device 2

Card

Device 1 and the card should be terminated.

Card

Internal Device 1

Internal Device 2

Device 2 and the card should be terminated.

External Device 1

Card

Internal Device 2

Device 1 and 2 should be terminated.  The terminator on the card should
be disabled.

Please note that on the above chart, it is the physical cable that
matters, not the device numbers.  Whatever is on the outside of the
cable needs to be terminated.  One end is probably the card (in two of
the three cases), and the other end will be some physical device.

As other people have said, duplicate SCSI ID's are typically a
problem.  Secondly, SCSI cards, especially the 1542 are expecting a
boot device.  The card will probably take a while looking for device
0.  Lastly, and possibly most importantly, there are two types of
termination, Active and Passive.  In my experience, Active works
correctly, and Passive doesn't.

Lastly, we have a tape unit that will supposedly terminate a SCSI
line.  It didn't.  Adding another terminator further down the cable
does take care of some problems.  Just be sure it is an Active
terminator.

Terry Steyaert

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. AHA-1542C BIOS?

Okay, after messing around with my AHA1542C and LILO
I have finnaly found out what is going on. (I think :->)
Anyway, the SCSI-HOWTO says that the BIOS stuff is not
supported for the AHA-1542C.  If this is true which it
seems to be, how can I boot from a SCSI drive when I
have 2 IDE drives?  I guess I can't.

So, when will the BIOS be supported for the AA-1542c?

A little bit of response from anyone will be nice...

Steven
--
Your superior intelligence is no match for our inferior weapons!

2. Video Card for Linux

3. problem installing x86 2.5 with update 3 and Adaptec AHA-1542C

4. cp command question

5. AHA-1542C Bug on external connector???!!!???

6. Wanted: format.dat for IBM 0661467

7. AHA-1542c

8. How can I read sar files directly?

9. Help with Adaptec AHA-1542C

10. AHA-1542C problems

11. AHA 1542C - What's this "host detected - but no mail" error?

12. Strange termination problem with Adaptec AHA 1540/1542C

13. SCSI AHA 1542C boot Prob. solved