Can't install Red Hat 5.2 on a Win98 PC

Post by Rainer Kembügle » Mon, 10 May 1999 04:00:00

Hello

First I have to apologize. I have no experience at all with Linux, but I'm
more or less an expert in all Dos stuff.
I have a PII 333MHz PC with a 10 GB harddrive with a 8GB partition for Win98
(boot partition). When I try to create a native Linux partion on this
remaining 2GB I get the error message in Disk Druid, that the boot drive is
too large although I can create a 127MB swap partition.
What is wrong ? Are 8GB too much for the Win98 stuff.

Thanks

Rainer

Can't install Red Hat 5.2 on a Win98 PC

Post by Frederick W. Reimer, Sr » Mon, 10 May 1999 04:00:00

Don't know the exact error message but this could be caused by two
things.

1) Are you specifying a size in MB in disk druid?  If so, it may be
rounding and even though it says it has, say, 2167MB free you can only
create a partition of, say, 2143 (pulling these numbers out of the
air).  Try making a partition that is a couple of MB smaller than what
it says is available.

2) Booting could be a problem.  LILO, the Linux Loader that will get
installed on the Master Boot Record if you get to that point and let it,
can only load the kernel if it is contained on the disk in cylinders(or
whatever) less than 1024 because of BIOS limitations (it uses the disk
BIOS to read in the kernel).  Starting your only Linux partition after
the 8GB DOS partition may put everything on that partition beyond the
reach of LILO.  Disk Druid may be detecting this and not letting you do
that.

If it's 1, you'll have to live without using ALL of your hard drive,
although you may be able to squeeze a swap partition in the left over
space.

If it's 2, Disk Druid is acting stupid.  There are other ways of booting
linux besides LILO.  You could copy the kernel onto your DOS partition
and use loadlin to load the kernel from DOS off that drive and boot into
Linux (You can even set this up as a DOS boot-menu item to pick between
Win98 and Linux by running loadlin as a config.sys driver).

You can always use the fdisk method and manually create the partitions
outside of Disk Druid.  If you're a DOS expert this should not be too
difficult...

HTH,

Fred

> Hello

> First I have to apologize. I have no experience at all with Linux, but I'm
> more or less an expert in all Dos stuff.
> I have a PII 333MHz PC with a 10 GB harddrive with a 8GB partition for Win98
> (boot partition). When I try to create a native Linux partion on this
> remaining 2GB I get the error message in Disk Druid, that the boot drive is
> too large although I can create a 127MB swap partition.
> What is wrong ? Are 8GB too much for the Win98 stuff.

> Thanks

> Rainer

Can't install Red Hat 5.2 on a Win98 PC

Post by thunderbol.. » Mon, 10 May 1999 04:00:00

I have a 9.1GB hard drive and it works just fine.  You can create a swap
partition anywhere in Linux but the   /boot   must be installed entirely below
cylinder 1023 on your hard drive? you may have to make your windows partittion a
little smaller depending on how many cylinders your hard drive has.
David

> Hello

> First I have to apologize. I have no experience at all with Linux, but I'm
> more or less an expert in all Dos stuff.
> I have a PII 333MHz PC with a 10 GB harddrive with a 8GB partition for Win98
> (boot partition). When I try to create a native Linux partion on this
> remaining 2GB I get the error message in Disk Druid, that the boot drive is
> too large although I can create a 127MB swap partition.
> What is wrong ? Are 8GB too much for the Win98 stuff.

> Thanks

> Rainer

1. Can't boot Win98 after installing Linux Red Hat 5.2

I'm a "newbie" who just installed Red Hat Linux 5.2 on my Windows 98
machine.  There are two separate hard drives, with Windows on hda1 and
Linux on hdb1.  Disk druid shows that I didn't accidentally install
Linux over Windows - they are both on separate drives as intended.
However, LILO only shows linux and rescue as boot options.
How can I boot Win 98?

I then removed LILO from hda1 using/sbin/lilo -u.
Now, when I start the machine without a  boot diskette, Windows tries
to start but can't find the command interpreter.  I need to make the
C: drive bootable again.  HELP!!!

Thanks,
Kevin

2. 27Million Addresses

3. Red Hat 5.2 Loadlin HOWTO (WAS: Can't install LILO from RH 5.2)

4. epson lq printer under linux

5. What HOWTO helps me to install NT and Red-Hat 5.2 on a Win98 system

6. Memory deallocation in a shared lib with Solaris 2.X

7. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

8. advice to build a new system, please

9. Hard Drive install for Red Hat 5.2 won't WORK!!!

10. Red Hat 5.2 and win98 problems

11. Red Hat 5.2 <-> Win98 Peer-to-Peer

12. Help Installing Red Hat 5.2, when installing from boot disk I get hard drive error.

13. red hat 5.2 need to make a PC what would you use