SMC EtherPower Adapter

Post by Samuel Ziegl » Tue, 22 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I am trying to get the SMC EtherPower adapter to work with v. 1.2.3.  I'm
using the tulip.c code, and it seems to be aware of the card, but when I try
to transmit or recieve, I don't get anything.  Someone suggested that the
problem may be that i am going into the BNC jack and the card may be trying to
use the 10BASE-T jack.  I assumed that the card would be able to figure out
which port i was using, but appearently using the DOS drivers you have to
specify which port.  If this is my problem, how do I go about fixing it?
Otherwise, does anyone else have any ideas?

SMC EtherPower Adapter

Post by Jonathan A. Dav » Wed, 23 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: I am trying to get the SMC EtherPower adapter to work with v. 1.2.3.  I'm
: using the tulip.c code, and it seems to be aware of the card, but when I try
: to transmit or recieve, I don't get anything.  Someone suggested that the
: problem may be that i am going into the BNC jack and the card may be trying to
: use the 10BASE-T jack.  I assumed that the card would be able to figure out
: which port i was using, but appearently using the DOS drivers you have to
: specify which port.  If this is my problem, how do I go about fixing it?
: Otherwise, does anyone else have any ideas?
:

paraphrased from Donald Beckers net page (see URL reference below)

---------------------------------snip---------------------------------

To use the BNC with the stock tulip driver in 1.2.x<5? you must change
the setting of one SIA (serial interface) register. Make the following
change around line 325 in linux/drivers/net/tulip.c

-       outl(0x00000004, ioaddr + CSR13);
+       outl(0x0000000d, ioaddr + CSR13);

---------------------------------snip---------------------------------

Alternately, you can get a newer release of the tulip driver from
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/linux.html.  This version
provides automatic media switching.  It requires a little hacking to
compile with 1.2.13 but works just fine.

Cheers,

--
-Jonathan                                                              _  _
------------------------------------------------------------->>>>>>>>-(o)(o)---

 http://www.usm.edu/jonathan/home.html | Linux: The choice of a GNU generation

1. SMC EtherPower PCI Ethernet Adapters

Hi,

    After re-built the Linux kernel, finally I have my SMC EtherPower
PCI Ethernet Adapters work on my Gateway 2000 PC.  However, if I ftp
a large file or use "mget *" with prompt off.  Sometime my system
crash !!!  I need to turn off the power and turn on to reboot it :(
This happened even I am not login as root !

    Any suggestion ???  Does someone have similar problem with SMC
PCI card ?  Thanks.

    Kuang-chun Cheng

2. SCSI Tape Drive Question

3. SMC EtherPower PCI Ethernet adapter

4. sar question

5. SMC EtherPower (PCI)

6. Connecting machines via ethernet

7. 2 SMC Etherpower 10/100 cards

8. Can Redhat 6.2 run on Umsdos filesystems(FAT32)?Answer to my E-mail PLEASE.

9. Linux Bootdisk for AHA2940 and SMC EtherPower (PCI)

10. Help on SMC EtherPower 10/100

11. SMC EtherPower and Tulip driver

12. smc etherpower 10/100 setup

13. SMC EtherPower II and 2.2.8-Stable