Linux-FT package weirdness

Post by Tim Nassau » Fri, 07 Jun 1996 04:00:00

 I recently upgraded my distribution from Slackware 2.0 to the latest Linux-FT.
Everything seems to work fine during the installation process. No device
errors, filesystem problems, or anything like that. My problem is effectively
installing the included packages.

 My goal is to use the distribution independently of the CD. Currently this is
not working. I've used xadmin to install every single available package onto
the fixed disk (effectively removing every relevant symbolic link to /dist),
yet unless the runtime CD is mounted under /dist, the following happens:

1. Neither emacs nor vi can use /etc/termcap

emacs says: terminfo database unreadable
vi says: I can't deal with your terminal 'linux'.

2. Programs needing the libc.so.4 library cannot find it, if the library is
installed via xadmin. If if the 'oldso' package was installed, and then its
path on the fixed disk made explicit, and the programs in question can find it,
it reports 'exec errors' with the file. If I mount the cdrom under /dist, the
programs requiring that library find it on the cd, and work properly.

... and if /dev/sr0 is mounted as /dist manually, it refuses to unmount with
a 'device busy' - even when the filecache daemon is not running, and no user
is anywhere near the /dist directory. My guess is that there's some other
process I'm unaware of that's waiting for /dist.

 If anyone has any ideas about the best way to achieve the most complete,
CD-independent installation from the FT distribution, I'd be extremely
grateful. It's been a *very* frustrating experience. It's a shame this doesn't
work, since the rest of the system is top-notch. The X11 configuration is
extremely well done, as is the boot floppy setup. However the decision to make
the distribution so reliant on a mounted CD and filecache seems a bit dubious
to me. And I'm not ruling out the possibility that I'm doing something very
wrong. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Thanks for your time.

-Tim

Linux-FT package weirdness

Post by Tim Nassau » Thu, 13 Jun 1996 04:00:00

 Just to follow up on my own post ...

 After emailing Lasermoon's tech support and receiving no reply, I'll have to
declare a "buyer beware" when it comes to Linux-FT. Its saving grace is that
it comes with a new(ish) version of Slackware, which I ended up using. It
would have been nice to use FT without a mounted cdrom, however Lasermoon seems
less than forthcoming with any solution.

-Tim

Linux-FT package weirdness

Post by Ruediger Hels » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

|>  After emailing Lasermoon's tech support and receiving no reply, I'll have to
|> declare a "buyer beware" when it comes to Linux-FT. Its saving grace is that
|> it comes with a new(ish) version of Slackware, which I ended up using. It
|> would have been nice to use FT without a mounted cdrom, however Lasermoon seems
|> less than forthcoming with any solution.

We here at Unifix are supporting Linux-FT and I have tried to answer to a
a valid email address. Maybe you should try to fix your software before
conclaiming about missing support!

Here the interesting parts of the bounced email:

Quote:>    ----- The following addresses had delivery problems -----
> tnassaue  (unrecoverable error)
>     (expanded from: tnassaue)

>    ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> ... while talking to cicero.spc.uchicago.edu.:
> <<< 550 <tnassaue>... User unknown
> 550 tnassaue... User unknown

Regards,

Linux-FT package weirdness

Post by rober » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

(Tim Nassauer) writes:

>  Just to follow up on my own post ...

>  After emailing Lasermoon's tech support and receiving no reply, I'll
have to
> declare a "buyer beware" when it comes to Linux-FT. Its saving grace
is that
> it comes with a new(ish) version of Slackware, which I ended up using.
It
> would have been nice to use FT without a mounted cdrom, however
Lasermoon seems
> less than forthcoming with any solution.

> -Tim

I haven't got a reply to my queries to lasermoon either - however - to
use FT without the CDROM, try distinstall. It lives in /sbin. Run it
without arguments and it will tell you what it does - intall
files/packages, uninstall files/packages, list packages. I piped the
list packages output into a file, deleted those bits I didn't want,
mangled it to run install packages for each I wanted, and I haven't
looked back since! (except I can't get it to delete packages, now the CD
isn't permanently mounted).

Good Luck.
--
robert

Linux-FT package weirdness

Post by Tim Nassau » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: We here at Unifix are supporting Linux-FT and I have tried to answer to a
: a valid email address. Maybe you should try to fix your software before
: conclaiming about missing support!

guys would have been at least *as* appropriate, given that Lasermoon publishes

request technical support.
 So I'd say a good deal of the lack of communication is Lasermoon's doing.
The address I'm using for this post (valid) is the one from which I originally
emailed lasermoon. If they were at all concerned about their customers they
would have at least passed along your email address, or told me where to go.
They instead chose to ignore my email. Hence the "buyer beware". And I knew
about the problem with the server I was using, and included a valid email
address at the bottom of my second post for that very reason. Anyway, I thank
you for trying to contact me.

-Tim

Linux-FT package weirdness

Post by James Thom » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:>We here at Unifix are supporting Linux-FT and I have tried to answer to a
>a valid email address. Maybe you should try to fix your software before
>conclaiming about missing support!

<snip>

I too wish that people who post to newsgroups would check that their
mailer addresses are properly set up. It's awfully frustrating to
spend time composing a reply to someone's question only to have it
bounced back with "no such address" or such. Another point is that the
e-mail address should be included in the signature file at the bottom in
the case that your mailer software does not handle "from" or "reply to"
well. One could then at least manually reply.

And one more pet peeve; it is only common curtesey to the people who read
your posts that one uses proper sentence stucture * ESPECIALLY
CAPITALIZATION* at the the start of sentences and references to the first
person pronoun "I". Whenever I see a post using "i think i have..." I
immediately junk it and go on to someone who at least seems serious in
their enquiries....

(BTW I'm a very satisfied 'FT user, although I've been fortunate in that
I've never had such serious problems with it - in v1.0 or v1.2 - that I've
needed "factory support)

regards;
--

McMaster Nuclear Reactor                        phone 905-5259040 ext 23283
1280 Main St. W.                                FAX 905-5284339

Linux-FT package weirdness

Post by Jeffrey A. Greenoug » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

[snip]

> I too wish that people who post to newsgroups would check that their
> mailer addresses are properly set up. It's awfully frustrating to
> spend time composing a reply to someone's question only to have it
> bounced back with "no such address" or such. Another point is that the
> e-mail address should be included in the signature file at the bottom in
> the case that your mailer software does not handle "from" or "reply to"
> well. One could then at least manually reply.

> And one more pet peeve; it is only common curtesey to the people who read
> your posts that one uses proper sentence stucture * ESPECIALLY
> CAPITALIZATION* at the the start of sentences and references to the first
> person pronoun "I". Whenever I see a post using "i think i have..." I
> immediately junk it and go on to someone who at least seems serious in
> their enquiries....
[snip]
> regards;
> --

> McMaster Nuclear Reactor                        phone 905-5259040 ext 23283
> 1280 Main St. W.                                FAX 905-5284339
> Hamilton, Ontario, Canada                       home 905-6280126

since you don't read any posts without capitalization then you won't
see this one... i take offense that you would delete a post and
not take the poster seriously for simply not using capitals.  i
for one don't use them and do so simply because it saves wear
and tear on my hands.  the extra stretching to hit the shift key
is a drain by the end of the day given my typical typing load.

there are things that are _much_ worse in newsgroups than not
using capitals.  having email responses to posts bouncing being
one of them and asking questions without at least trying to
RTFM.  please reconsider your intolerance of those of
us with tired hands ;)

jeff
--

Center for Computational Sciences and Engineering  PHONE: (510)486-5348
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory              FAX: (510)486-6900

Linux-FT package weirdness

Post by Keith Hyla » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

---snip

now that we have the indroductions over, are we any nearer to finding
how to run FT without the $%^& cd-rom (CD-ROM) being mounted?

Keith Hyland,
Dublin

Linux-FT package weirdness

Post by Martin Tome » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> ---snip

> now that we have the indroductions over, are we any nearer to finding
> how to run FT without the $%^& cd-rom (CD-ROM) being mounted?

Yes, RTFM.

Sorry, here's the answer.

  1. Use distinstall to install the packages you need on your disk.
  2. Use the filecache command to turn off file cache or build a new kernel
     without filecache support.
  3. Take the /dev/sr0 line out of fstab.
  4. Reboot.

Martin.

Linux-FT package weirdness

Post by Ruediger Hels » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

|> now that we have the indroductions over, are we any nearer to finding
|> how to run FT without the $%^& cd-rom (CD-ROM) being mounted?

That's simple. You unmount the $%^& cd-rom (CD-ROM).

Since the filecache installed everything you have already used to disk, the
system should happily run without the CD-ROM mounted until you use some files
that are not installed. Then you will get a message telling you that a file
has not been found. Mount the CD and retry, it will work and the filecache
will install the file.

To avoid missing files, you may want to install the packages you know you will
use onto the disk before you unmount the CD. You can do this from the command
line using "distinstall" or from Xadmin with the "package installation" menu.

There is one ugly bug with package installation in Linux-FT 1.2: the "base"
package does not contain /usr/share, which it should. So, after installing
the "base" package, use the command "distinstall -r /usr/share" to install
/usr/share by hand.

In case you have questions or problems with Linux-FT, feel free to ask

Regards,

Linux-FT package weirdness

Post by David K. Seyst » Sun, 16 Jun 1996 04:00:00

It's nice that spelling errors and incorrect punctuation aren't included
in your list of pet peeves. I wouldn't want you to be angry with yourself.
--
David K. Seyster
Slackware (2.3) and others

Linux-FT package weirdness

Post by Sid Lipk » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>And one more pet peeve; it is only common curtesey to the people who read
>your posts that one uses proper sentence stucture * ESPECIALLY
>CAPITALIZATION* at the the start of sentences and references to the first
>person pronoun "I". Whenever I see a post using "i think i have..." I
>immediately junk it and go on to someone who at least seems serious in
>their enquiries....

can you say anal-retentive?  jezzzz  take a valium man

Linux-FT package weirdness

Post by James Thom » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>>And one more pet peeve; it is only common courtesy to the people who read
>>your posts that one uses proper sentence stucture * ESPECIALLY
>>CAPITALIZATION* at the the start of sentences and references to the first

[SNIP]

Quote:>can you say anal-retentive?  jezzzz  take a valium man

My apologies to those who were somehow offended by my prior comments.
[ and my poor grammar and spelling mistakes 8-) ]

It is just that for those of us who are visually impaired, it is much
easier to read an article that uses a mixture of upper and lower case
letters. Let's drop the subject.

regards;

--

Post by Sid Lipk » Sun, 23 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>>>And one more pet peeve; it is only common courtesy to the people who read
>>>your posts that one uses proper sentence stucture * ESPECIALLY
>>>CAPITALIZATION* at the the start of sentences and references to the first
>[SNIP]

>>can you say anal-retentive?  jezzzz  take a valium man

>My apologies to those who were somehow offended by my prior comments.
>[ and my poor grammar and spelling mistakes 8-) ]

>It is just that for those of us who are visually impaired, it is much
>easier to read an article that uses a mixture of upper and lower case
>letters. Let's drop the subject.

>regards;

hey sorry bout that  just so many out there who practice academic snobbery
i automatically thought that your post was one of these.....
   see ya  sid

>--

>McMaster Nuclear Reactor                    phone 905-5259040 ext 23283
>1280 Main St. W.                            FAX 905-5284339
>Hamilton, Ontario, Canada                   home 905-6280126

1. install Linux before linux-Ft?

I just received and tried install Linux-FT. But the procedure is quiet confuse.
Should I have linux kernal resides in harddrive before linux-Ft is installed.
It seems the run-time Linux-FT does not have linux kernal in it. Is Linux-FT
work on the top of linux. Please advise me. Thanks in advance.

--

2. firewall blocks java streaming quotes

3. Are LINUX-FT fixes folded into Linux/GNU to gcc ?

4. ftp speeds on a 56K modem?

5. Linux-FT versus Linux-LDR

6. lex

7. Linux-FT + Bundle Distribution Needed

8. Disabling name resolution on login

9. Linux-FT?

10. Motif on Linux & slackware vs Linux FT

11. Linux-FT ? Is it good ??

12. How to disable xdm in Linux-FT

13. COMMERCIAL: Linux-FT 1.2 Now Shipping