Need Help: 'tar xvMf /dev/fd0 foo' not working properly

Need Help: 'tar xvMf /dev/fd0 foo' not working properly

Post by Hossei » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello everybody,

   I am trying to backup some of my files using floppy disks. I use the
command:
 "tar cvfM /dev/fd0 foo"
 for archiving one of my files and this uses two floppies, #1 and #2.
   For extracting my file I use the command:
 "tar xvfM /dev/fd0"
 which after extracting the first part of the archived file on disk #1
asks
 for disk #2. But when I insert disk #2 I receive the error message:
 "tar: Cannot extract `foo' -- file is continued from another volume".
   This error continues until, in another window, I mount /dev/fd0 on a
 directory and unmount it. Here the first time I mount the /dev/fd0 I
get the
 following error:
 "mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/fd0,
  or too many mounted file systems",
 but in the second attempt the directory is mounted and after
unmounting, tar
 extracts the second part of the file `foo' on disk #2.
   Another problem that may be related to this is that if my floppy is
write
 protected and I try to mount it read-write, I receive an error message
and
 after closing the write-protect hole of the floppy I still cannot mount
 read-write file system on /dev/fd0 unless I restart the computer.
    Any help is gratefully appreciated.
    Please send a copy of your reply to my email box, if possible.

   Best wishes - Hossein

Post by Ronald G. Belche » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>    For extracting my file I use the command:
>  "tar xvfM /dev/fd0"

Are you mounting the floppy first?  Don't!

Quote:>  directory and unmount it. Here the first time I mount the /dev/fd0 I
> get the
>  following error:
>  "mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/fd0,
>   or too many mounted file systems",

You are going to get an error enytime you attempt to mount a disk
to which you have done a tar, "tar -f/dev/fd0 ...".  The floppy
does not contain a file system of any kind and cannot be mounted.

Quote:>    Another problem that may be related to this is that if my floppy is
> write
>  protected and I try to mount it read-write, I receive an error message

As you indicate, it is an error to attempt to mount read-write a
floppy which is write-protected.  Don't!  If you do, by mistake,
then do a umount before either removing the diskette or attempting
another mount after fixing the write-protect problem.

HTH