Create routing table for 1 eth and multiple ppp interface

Create routing table for 1 eth and multiple ppp interface

Post by Wu, Simon [WDLN2:2X38:EXCH » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 11:46:16

Hello,

In one of my special test, I need to make multiple ppp configurations on
one of my linux (Redhat 6.2) PC, which already have an eth0 connection
to the corporate LAN. I need to create a IP routing for ppp0, ppp1, ...
ppp32 in the same PC. Two questions:
1. Should I use "defaultroute" in the /etc/ppp/options file?
2. I require all datagram for each ppp# go through the ppp# interface,
not the eth0 interface which is up all the time. I tried a few routing
opions in /etc/ppp/ip-up shell script file. None worked. Which argument
should I use for /usr/sbin/route ?

I appreciated any help. Thanks.

Simon

Create routing table for 1 eth and multiple ppp interface

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 11 Feb 2001 23:31:28

Is this for dialin or dialout ppp?  Does any ppp connection lead to
the internet, or the same network as another connection?  That will
determine the type of routing or whether something else is needed to
handle alternate routes.

Normally you should only have 1 default route (leading to internet).  Any
LAN or WAN routing should be -host or -net routes (with gw if needed to
point to a router for other subnet(s).  If a gw leads to more than one
subnet, you may be able to group them into a single route by adjusting the
netmask.

For a dialin connection (to connect remote boxes to your corporate LAN),
pppd automatically adds a host route to the remote.  You may want to use
proxyarp option on the ppp server (not defaultroute).  You would likely
use defaultroute on the remote client.  You would not need a -net route
for that ppp unless the dialin is connecting another LAN to your system.

Multiple internet routes or multiple routes to the same destination
network are a special case.  I cannot help you with that.

On Thu, 08 Feb 2001, Wu, Simon [WDLN2:2X38:EXCH]

>In one of my special test, I need to make multiple ppp configurations on
>one of my linux (Redhat 6.2) PC, which already have an eth0 connection
>to the corporate LAN. I need to create a IP routing for ppp0, ppp1, ...
>ppp32 in the same PC. Two questions:
>1. Should I use "defaultroute" in the /etc/ppp/options file?
>2. I require all datagram for each ppp# go through the ppp# interface,
>not the eth0 interface which is up all the time. I tried a few routing
>opions in /etc/ppp/ip-up shell script file. None worked. Which argument
>should I use for /usr/sbin/route ?

>I appreciated any help. Thanks.

>Simon

1. Need help:routing table for 1 eth and n ppp interfaces

Hello,

In one of my special test, I need to make multiple ppp configurations on
one of my linux (Redhat 6.2) PC, which already have an eth0 connection
to the corporate LAN. I need to create a IP routing for ppp0, ppp1, ...
ppp32 in the same PC. Two questions:
1. Should I use "defaultroute" in the /etc/ppp/options file?
2. I require all datagram for each ppp# go through the ppp# interface,
not the eth0 interface which is up all the time. I tried a few routing
opions in /etc/ppp/ip-up shell script file. None worked. Which argument
should I use for /sbin/route for this situation?

I appreciated any help. Thanks a lot.

Simon

2. GXT800P Sale or exchange

3. route based on incoming eth out ppp - two eth / two ppp

4. Anyone heard of Magnet?

5. Router dropping packets from eth interface to ppp interface

6. Decoding Machine Check Exceptions

7. Configuring Routing Table with Multiple Interfaces

8. ftpd

9. Routing Issue with Multiple PPP interfaces

10. route packet based on incoming interface, not by routing table??

11. How to set up routing table or gateway tables for ppp?

12. Multiple default routes on multiple interfaces

13. Single eth interface - multiple IP addr