Can't use 'MAKE' command.

Post by Eric Rohve » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I tried to configure the kernel as outlined in the Linux unleashed book,
but when I try to use the 'make config' or 'make xconfig' commands I get
an error message like this.

bash: make: command not found.

bash is bin/bash, and sh is bin/sh and it still doesn't work! Please
help.

--
Eric Rohver
89FJ1200

Can't use 'MAKE' command.

Post by Paul Kimo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> bash: make: command not found.

> bash is bin/bash, and sh is bin/sh and it still doesn't work! Please
> help.

Did you _install_ the `make' command?

--

Can't use 'MAKE' command.

Post by Eric Rohve » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Did you _install_ the `make' command?

> --

Probably not. How would one go about installing the 'make' command, or
any other command.
Your help is greatly appreciated.
--
Eric Rohver
89FJ1200
Plattsburgh, NY

Can't use 'MAKE' command.

Post by Paul Kimo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> Did you _install_ the `make' command?
> Probably not. How would one go about installing the 'make' command, or
> any other command.

Figure out which package your distribution puts it in.  (In this case,
it is almost certainly called "make".)  Find it on your installation
medium (e.g., the CD-ROM) or off its website.

Invoke the distribution's installation program and make it go.
(Command-line programs are "rpm" for SuSE, Red Hat, and RH-derived
distributions; "dpkg" for Debian; probably "pkgadd" for Slackware",
....  Perhaps you have used a graphical program, but I don't know
anything about those.

--

1. using the 'join' or 'sort' command...

salutations,

   anyone know how to use the 'join' command to join the following two
files or to be able to use the 'sort' command for setup to 'join' them?
   read that the first column in both files must be the same in order to
join them, but no matter how many ways ive tried to sort them, i cant
get the numbers before the names in file1...im sure the ' : ' delimiters
play a role somewhere...appreciate any advice....

file1
< Doe, Jane:123456:20:
< John, Doe:222266:10:
< Dude, Man:234567:10:

file2

2. Fut Dom 1610MCD - ok?

3. Piping results of a 'find' command to a 'mv' command...

4. New install mouse/keyboard lock up.

5. How to hide from 'who', 'finger', 'ps' commands?

6. Viewing Physical Disk Allocation...

7. Help with 'user', 'w', 'who' commands

8. KDE and num lock key

9. Q: using rdist's commands `special' and `cmdspecial'

10. Making 'nobanner' Default in V.3.2 'lp'

11. Mklinux: 'mount' command makes X-windows blank?

12. mp3 'cat' and 'split' commands

13. A minimal 'man' page for the 'ip' command