Help w/ getting Linux and Win95 to play nice

Help w/ getting Linux and Win95 to play nice

Post by kpa.. » Wed, 05 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

        I have seen lots of people in this newsgroup say that they are
having problems with getting Win95 and Linux to share the same HD (one
750 MB part for Win95 and three Linux parts totaling 790).  I would like
to add my voice to that growing chorus. I have tried installing the
RedHat version of Linux (and LILO) three times now.  Each time I do it
something goes wrong with Win95.  The last time I installed Linux I could
no longer get at my HD, flippy drive, or CD-Rom by clicking on the "My
Computer" icon.  But as long as I only did things from the start bar I
was okay.  I asked several computer friends for advice and in the end the
only thing that worked was to uninstall Win95 and then reinstall it.  I
was wondering if it was a problem with LILO.  I have read all the man
pages on installing Linux and the HOWTO's but have not come across
anything germane to my problem.  I would great appreciate any advice on
getting Linux and Win95 to run on the same HD.

Thank you in advance for you suggestions and advice.  :)

Post by **** DoMiNic * » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00

[...]

        I have my Linus 1.2.13 and Win95 Chinese version installed on the
same hard disk which run happily for a month.
        What I have done is to partition my harddisk using fdisk from
Linux. 480MB for Win95, 20MB for Linus Root and the remaining 700MB for
Linux.  After the partition, I format the 480MB dos partition using Dos
6.0 and have a multiboot configuation file.
                [1] Win95
                [2] Linux
I installed all the stuffs, Linux basic, X11R6, GNU stuffs into the
Linux partition. In the boot up selection of LInux, I didn't choose
LILO but using the LoadLin stuff.  What I have to do is to copy the
Loadlin program to the dos partition and the kernel as well.  In my
autoexec.bat file I have put a line to start the loadlin when the
user choose the option 2 in the Dos Mutiboot.  After installing
Linux, I install Win95 stuff..

        When my computer start up, the Dos Multiboot will prompt
me whether I want to run Win95 or Linux, if I coose Win95, it starts
Win95 as usual, if I choose Linux, it will run the batch file in my
autoexec.bat to start Loadlin.  It run perfectly without any problem
till now.

        Hope the above information can help you a bit.

                                                Dominic

Post by Nick Semeno » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
> Subject: Re: Help w/ getting Linux and Win95 to play nice
> Date: 5 Jun 1996 14:58:45 GMT

> : Hello,

> :  I have seen lots of people in this newsgroup say that they are
> : having problems with getting Win95 and Linux to share the same HD (one
> : 750 MB part for Win95 and three Linux parts totaling 790).  I would like
> : to add my voice to that growing chorus. I have tried installing the
> : RedHat version of Linux (and LILO) three times now.  Each time I do it
> : something goes wrong with Win95.  The last time I installed Linux I could
> : no longer get at my HD, flippy drive, or CD-Rom by clicking on the "My
> : Computer" icon.  But as long as I only did things from the start bar I
> : was okay.  I asked several computer friends for advice and in the end the
> : only thing that worked was to uninstall Win95 and then reinstall it.  I
> : was wondering if it was a problem with LILO.  I have read all the man
> : pages on installing Linux and the HOWTO's but have not come across
> : anything germane to my problem.  I would great appreciate any advice on
> : getting Linux and Win95 to run on the same HD.

> : Thank you in advance for you suggestions and advice.  :)

>    I have my Linus 1.2.13 and Win95 Chinese version installed on the
> same hard disk which run happily for a month.
>    What I have done is to partition my harddisk using fdisk from
> Linux. 480MB for Win95, 20MB for Linus Root and the remaining 700MB for
> Linux.  After the partition, I format the 480MB dos partition using Dos
> 6.0 and have a multiboot configuation file.
>            [1] Win95
>            [2] Linux
> I installed all the stuffs, Linux basic, X11R6, GNU stuffs into the
> Linux partition. In the boot up selection of LInux, I didn't choose
> LILO but using the LoadLin stuff.  What I have to do is to copy the
> Loadlin program to the dos partition and the kernel as well.  In my
> autoexec.bat file I have put a line to start the loadlin when the
> user choose the option 2 in the Dos Mutiboot.  After installing
> Linux, I install Win95 stuff..

>    When my computer start up, the Dos Multiboot will prompt
> me whether I want to run Win95 or Linux, if I coose Win95, it starts
> Win95 as usual, if I choose Linux, it will run the batch file in my
> autoexec.bat to start Loadlin.  It run perfectly without any problem
> till now.

>    Hope the above information can help you a bit.

>                                            Dominic

Where one can get DOS Multiboot?
(Please, email)
NS

1. Win95 is not playing nice with my harddisk.

Hi,

 I got some trouble to get my first IDE-Drive recognized under
Windoze 95. I made sure I used fdisk on Linux to make a few Linux
partitions on it and at least one big partition for my Windoze.
But when I pop up "Options" for this special harddisk, it tells
me there is only a single huge partition. Running FDISK in
command mode (MS-DOS) recognizes the few other NON-DOS partitions.
My questions is: Can this lead to a problem. Since I install software
on my first harddisk, I'd like to know if Windoze is gonna overleap
with the partitions for Linux. Just curious about that ... Any hint
would be gratefully appreciated.

PS: It worked well with Windows for Workgroups. However ...

Best Regards,
Andreas Mitsis

Oh, I'm a sysadmin, and I'm ok.         | Andreas Mitsis

I knock back Cokes, I skip my lunch,    | Rhein-Main-Gebiet
I'm glued to the VDT!                   | 55128 Mainz, Germany

2. Remote Access Server Hardware

3. Does FIPS play nice w/Win95 & DDO?

4. How do BER, wclen/wcslen and UNIX deal with UNICODE ?

5. Getting RH and Caldera to play nice with printers

6. Question: Solaris 2.x and SuperSPARC

7. Getting ipmasqadm to play nice with ipchains rules for port forwarding

8. "arp who-has 127.0.0.1" question tom my pc?

9. Nice. Nice nice nice.

10. getting win95 shares on win95 machines to map with a login script with samba and win95

11. HELP -> RH 6.2, Adaptec 2940UW, and CMD CRD-5500 not playing nice..

12. HELP! Redhat 4.2 and WinNT4SP3 dont play nice.

13. Win Linux 2000 and Monitor won't play nice