lp0, lp1 and lp2 cannot be found in printtool

lp0, lp1 and lp2 cannot be found in printtool

Post by Eric Pric » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Good day Linux  folks!

I am trying to configure my printer using the printtool utility. My
system cannot detect  the lp0 device... But I know for a fact that it is
compiled in the kernel itself because when I use the "cat /proc/devices
| grep lp" and it gives me this result "6 lp". According to what I know
about Linux, it means that the printer devices has been compiled in the
kernel.... I also tried lp1 and lp2 to no avail...

Anyone have any ideas ?

I am using Red Hat 5.2 with the 2.0.36 kernel (it's actually a fresh
install....tried it and still no printer...)

Thanx

BlitzRyk

Post by Norman Elliot » Sun, 14 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Good day Linux  folks!

> I am trying to configure my printer using the printtool utility. My
> system cannot detect  the lp0 device... But I know for a fact that it is
> compiled in the kernel itself because when I use the "cat /proc/devices
> | grep lp" and it gives me this result "6 lp". According to what I know
> about Linux, it means that the printer devices has been compiled in the
> kernel.... I also tried lp1 and lp2 to no avail...

> Anyone have any ideas ?

> I am using Red Hat 5.2 with the 2.0.36 kernel (it's actually a fresh
> install....tried it and still no printer...)

> Thanx

> BlitzRyk

Not sure what is wrong but here is some stuff to try and some to know.

On PC's of the IBM compat type lp0 is the first parallel printer on XT
type m/cs ( the ancient 8086 types )
lp1 is the first on AT style m/cs ( ie all the rest from 80286 and up )
Try something like
ls -l /etc>/etc/pfiles | cat /etc/pfiles/dev/lp1
This should cause something to come out on your printer.
try
cat /proc/ioports
and
cat /proc/interrupts
to see if there might be conflicts

Maybe your config program is broken ( I don't use Red Hat so can't say
any more )

HTH
norm

Post by j » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> > Good day Linux  folks!

> > I am trying to configure my printer using the printtool utility. My
> > system cannot detect  the lp0 device... But I know for a fact that it is
> > compiled in the kernel itself because when I use the "cat /proc/devices
> > | grep lp" and it gives me this result "6 lp". According to what I know
> > about Linux, it means that the printer devices has been compiled in the
> > kernel.... I also tried lp1 and lp2 to no avail...

> > Anyone have any ideas ?

> > I am using Red Hat 5.2 with the 2.0.36 kernel (it's actually a fresh
> > install....tried it and still no printer...)

> > Thanx

> > BlitzRyk

> Not sure what is wrong but here is some stuff to try and some to know.

> On PC's of the IBM compat type lp0 is the first parallel printer on XT
> type m/cs ( the ancient 8086 types )
> lp1 is the first on AT style m/cs ( ie all the rest from 80286 and up )
> Try something like
> ls -l /etc>/etc/pfiles | cat /etc/pfiles/dev/lp1
> This should cause something to come out on your printer.
> try
> cat /proc/ioports
> and
> cat /proc/interrupts
> to see if there might be conflicts

> Maybe your config program is broken ( I don't use Red Hat so can't say
> any more )

> HTH
> norm

Hey,
     I had the same problem not long ago.  I had to recompile the kernel
(2.2.1)
so that it included the Parallel Port, Parallel PC style Port, then Parallel
Printer
Support and then right below that there was an option for IEEE 1374 Read ( or

 Write) Back.  All of these had to be compiled into the kernel, no modules.
 I am using Red Hat 5.2 .

 Good luck,

1. Printtool not seeing my printer on /dev/lp0, /dev/lp1 or /dev/lp2

           Hi, I've just started using Linux having used Unix in the past.
I've got a problem and I'm hoping that someone may be able to suggest a
solution.

     Having successfully installed Linux( Red Hat V6.0 Kernel 2.2.5-15 on a
Dell Dimension PIII 500Mhz ) and selected a printer driver I set up my
spoolers and ensured lpd was running. However while logged in as root trying
to redirect the output of a 'cat' command directly to the printer yielded no
output from the printer. Having checked with some FAQs and support sites I
note that the Epson Color 440 ( the printer I'm trying to use ) should be
completely compatible with Linux. I noticed an article which spoke about the
'stcolor' driver but this seemed more to do with the quality of the output
rather than the fact that there was no output at all. I tried running
printtool and it said that it could find no devices attached to /dev/lp0,
/dev/lp1 or /dev/lp2. According to Windows '98 the printer is installed on
the "ECP Printer Port" LPT1. My modem is installed on COM2( INT 9, Addr. 0 )
while COM1( INT 4, Addr. 3F8, UART NS 16550AN) does not have anything
attached. The printer works fine with Windows '98.

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

James.

2. <<<Solve These Please!!! Cheese>>

3. lp0, lp1, lp2, .... not detected.

4. IP Masquerade

5. Unreachable printer devices (lp0, lp1, and lp2).

6. Q: Ftape module problem

7. dev/lp0 (or lp1 or lp2) not detected for printer

8. Help to configurate California Graphics Terminator 64 for RedHat 7.3

9. linux-0.99.10 detects non-existing lp1 & lp2

10. Printtool doesn't see /dev/lp1

11. Using LP2: with Linux as /dev/lp2

12. lp1 fine; lp0 on fire!

13. How to move printjobs from lp0 to lp1?