Hosting Help!

Post by Jad » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

HI everyone

I am about to change my web hosting to a company that offers "Co-Location"
hosting.  I am familiar with Linux and UNIX systems, but I am not an expert.
I have been using RedHat (Text and Graph. interfaces) here for a while now,
but its always been on a machine that I can see and touch, right in front of
me.  I wanted to see if anyone has any advise or recommendation about having
to remotely control a Linux system.  I have heard about a bunch of Web based
programs that can control the server, does anyone have any recommendation
about any these programs.  Basically I want to know what I am about to get
myself into.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jad

Hosting Help!

Post by Colin Wats » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I am about to change my web hosting to a company that offers "Co-Location"
>hosting.  I am familiar with Linux and UNIX systems, but I am not an expert.
>I have been using RedHat (Text and Graph. interfaces) here for a while now,
>but its always been on a machine that I can see and touch, right in front of
>me.  I wanted to see if anyone has any advise or recommendation about having
>to remotely control a Linux system.  I have heard about a bunch of Web based
>programs that can control the server, does anyone have any recommendation
>about any these programs.

Forget about web-based programs. If you know how to use command-line
tools, then you can ssh into the remote box and use them in just the
same way. In fact, ssh will do X forwarding, so you can ssh into the
remote box and run graphical programs which then display on your local X
server. Not a problem.

HTH,

--

"She's always been touchy about her age - even though it's not
 the first time she's turned 40." - Frasier Crane on Maris

Hosting Help!

Post by Jad A. Humeida » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

thanks for the advise

> >I am about to change my web hosting to a company that offers
"Co-Location"
> >hosting.  I am familiar with Linux and UNIX systems, but I am not an
expert.
> >I have been using RedHat (Text and Graph. interfaces) here for a while
now,
> >but its always been on a machine that I can see and touch, right in front
of
> >me.  I wanted to see if anyone has any advise or recommendation about
having
> >to remotely control a Linux system.  I have heard about a bunch of Web
based
> >programs that can control the server, does anyone have any recommendation
> >about any these programs.

> Forget about web-based programs. If you know how to use command-line
> tools, then you can ssh into the remote box and use them in just the
> same way. In fact, ssh will do X forwarding, so you can ssh into the
> remote box and run graphical programs which then display on your local X
> server. Not a problem.

> HTH,

> --

> "She's always been touchy about her age - even though it's not
>  the first time she's turned 40." - Frasier Crane on Maris

1. Slip not routing past host, Help!

I am having problems with sliplogin v1.3.  I have the package installed and
I am able to connect to my machine using Trumpet Winsock.  I can telnet to
my host machine,  but I cannot reach any machine beyond the host.  Do I
need to configure routed on my machine or something else?  I did
recompile the kernel and specified IP forwarding.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Term+ncftp=Wait forever

3. Virtual Hosts Help!

4. AAA-133 & Adaptec support

5. remote host help needed

6. . Continuus Resource Site

7. DNS, Namesever, and Virtual Hosting = HELP!

8. How do I set up a FTP mirror site?

9. Virtual Host help

10. Hosting Help

11. Installing on a machine with DPT PM2124A SCSI Host - Help !!!

12. virtual hosting help plz

13. Co-Location Hosting Help