Help with NFS

Post by Emil Riva » Tue, 11 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

Would appreciate any assistance or pointers on how to setup NFS
correctly. Currently I have Red Hat 4.0 installed and the NFS daemon
seems to fire up, however when I try to export a file I get "permission
denied".  What I want to be able to do is use a second machine as a hard
disk server via NFS to be able to back up my primary machine to this
second machine, which has a Jaz Drive.  TCP/IP connectivity is working
fine since I can telnet from the secondary machine into the primary.
Red Hat is also running just fine off of a Jaz drive.  I then have a
second Jaz srive in this second machine to act as a back up media (Jaz
cartridges).  I am new to Linux and am not sure as to how involved it is
to set up NFS properly.  Do I have to customize RPC?  Or is it just
changing a file permission of some file or directory?

Thanks,

Emil

Help with NFS

Post by David Sye » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Do I have to customize RPC?  Or is it just
> changing a file permission of some file or directory?

Look at docs on mount, /etc/exports, /etc/hosts.allow.  (The last of
these is probably the one casuing your problems at the minute: you
should be able to get a volume mounted at least if you add a line `ALL:
yourhostname' to /etc/hosts.allow on the server---check the docs for
syntax though.)

Dave.

Help with NFS

Post by James Youngm » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>Hi,

>Would appreciate any assistance or pointers on how to setup NFS
>correctly. Currently I have Red Hat 4.0 installed and the NFS daemon
>seems to fire up, however when I try to export a file I get "permission
>denied".

Export a file?  Did you put an entry in /etc/exports?
Did you mount the filesystem on the other machine?
Don't forget that NFS doesn't trust "foreign" users calling themselves "root".
"permission denied" on which machine?

Quote:>Do I have to customize RPC?

Nothing that complicated, don't worry!

--
James Youngman       VG Gas Analysis Systems  The trouble with the rat-race
Before sending advertising material, read     is, even if you win, you're

Help with NFS

Post by Geoff Sho » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

:
: Would appreciate any assistance or pointers on how to setup NFS
: correctly.

It can be fairly complicated, but the basics are fairly simple.  To
export a file system you need to edit /etc/exports and add the
trusted machines to it.  eg:

  # See exports(5) for a description.
  # This file contains a list of all directories exported to other computers.
  # It is used by rpc.nfsd and rpc.mountd.
  /usr  some.machine(rw,no_root_squash) other.machine(rw)
  /exports      *.machine(ro)

The computer some is then allowed to mount /usr, as is other.  All
computers in the .machine domain can mount /exports, but read-only.
The no_root_squash allows root access - use with care!

You need to restart rpc.nfsd and/or rpc.mountd after changing the exports
file.  Everything else is in the man pages.

        Geoff
Ever sit and watch ants? They're always busy with                Geoff Short

can't identify with that kind of work ethic. http://kipper.york.ac.uk/~geoff

1. Help needed: NFS V3 and NFS V2

I have a performance problem using NFS mount.
I export a file system from a machine using NFS V3 (AIX 4.2.1)
I mount this filesystem on a machine with NFS V2 (AIX 4.1.4)
The  transfer rate is worse than NFS V2 mounted on NFS V2
On the other hand if I mount the same exporeted filesystem on another
NFS V3 sysstem and that i use the "nfs3" filesystem type the transfer
rate is excellent.

Does anybody knows the solution to speed up my NFS mount when the client
runs NFS V2 (AIX 4.1.4) and the server runs NFS V3 (AIX 4.2.1).
I do not want to update my AIX 4.1.4 system.

        Thanks

                Olivier

 Bull S.A, Rue Jean Jaures B.P.68, 78340 Les Clayes sous Bois FRANCE
 Tel:01.30.80.63.99 Bullcom:23-76399 Fax:01.30.80.77.99

2. Novell and NT filesystems

3. HELP: Slow NFS client to server causing Very slow NFS install

4. GTK-Gnutella 0.90 beta is out!

5. Help--readonly nfs mounts

6. Token Ring Help

7. Help with NFS or FTP installation of Redhat Linux v5.0

8. ksh/bash expr `cmd` vs $(cmd)

9. help with nfs

10. Help: Automatic nfs and smb at startup

11. Need help with NFS mount hang

12. Help with NFS....

13. Help on NFS