Win2k, WinMe, Linux Red Hat 6.2

Post by LeleDxt » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi, i have a problem with the boot loader of win2k, that isn't able to boot
Linux.
My os are: Win2k on hdc1, winMe on hda1, Linux on hda5.

I'm able to boot Linux using the boot disk.
I ran BootPart to add Linux to the NT Loader menu.
When the system powers on, I'm presented with the NT Loader menu with the
items Win2K, WinMe, & Linux.
Choosing Win2K or WinMe gives no problems; they launch fine.
Choosing Linux gives me the following error.

Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or
corrupt:
<windows 2000 root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

This is not correct because ntoskrnl.exe is not missing.
I'm still able to boot Linux using the boot floppy disk.

Any help woulb be appreciated.
Thank you.

Win2k, WinMe, Linux Red Hat 6.2

Post by Eric » Sat, 07 Oct 2000 15:55:45

> Hi, i have a problem with the boot loader of win2k, that isn't able to boot
> Linux.
> My os are: Win2k on hdc1, winMe on hda1, Linux on hda5.

> I'm able to boot Linux using the boot disk.
> I ran BootPart to add Linux to the NT Loader menu.
> When the system powers on, I'm presented with the NT Loader menu with the
> items Win2K, WinMe, & Linux.
> Choosing Win2K or WinMe gives no problems; they launch fine.
> Choosing Linux gives me the following error.

> Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or
> corrupt:
> <windows 2000 root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
> Please re-install a copy of the above file.

That's a bizarre message, but then again it is windows :-)

Are you sure your linux kernel isn't above cyl. 1024?
That will very likely be your problem.

Eric

Quote:> This is not correct because ntoskrnl.exe is not missing.
> I'm still able to boot Linux using the boot floppy disk.

> Any help woulb be appreciated.
> Thank you.

Win2k, WinMe, Linux Red Hat 6.2

Post by sandrew » Sun, 08 Oct 2000 14:20:21

> Hi, i have a problem with the boot loader of win2k, that isn't able to
> boot Linux. My os are: Win2k on hdc1, winMe on hda1, Linux on hda5.

> I'm able to boot Linux using the boot disk. I ran BootPart to add
> Linux to the NT Loader menu. When the system powers on, I'm presented
> with the NT Loader menu with the items Win2K, WinMe, & Linux. Choosing
> Win2K or WinMe gives no problems; they launch fine. Choosing Linux
> gives me the following error.

> Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or
> corrupt:
> <windows 2000 root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
> Please re-install a copy of the above file.

> This is not correct because ntoskrnl.exe is not missing. I'm still
> able to boot Linux using the boot floppy disk.

> Any help woulb be appreciated. Thank you.

You can get that if your partitions have changed.  The boot loader will be
lookin in the wrong place (Supid Windows).

If you can have a look at boot.ini and see if you can figure out where it expects
the boot partition to be.

1. Samba - Red Hat sees Win2k but Win2k cannot see Red Hat 7.2

After installing Red Hat 7.2 I configured Samba. I can mount and browse
shares on a Win2k Pro system on the network. However, the Win2k system
cannot see the Red Hat system.

I can ping the Red Hat system from the Win2k system both by name and IP
address. However, if I search for the Red Hat system from Windows Explorer,
either by name or IP address, it is not found.

I am a Linux novice and have run out of things to check. Any suggestions?

Bill

2. Disk access shoots load average through the roof...

3. Red Hat 6.2 works but not Red hat 7

4. Cannot link to printer

5. Immunix OS 6.2 (StackGuarded Red Hat 6.2)

6. cannot su if not in group 0 (root) or wheel- how to setup?

7. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

8. Hard Drive failing

9. no sound in linux 2.4.0 ( red hat 6.2 )

10. Bug in the INN-2.2.2-3 Package from Red Hat Linux 6.2 Serverinstallation?

11. Xeon and Red Hat Linux 6.2

12. Floppy Streamer and Red Hat Linux 6.2

13. XFree86 for Red Hat LInux 6.2 version.