need help configing PCMCIA modem

Post by -=ZmaN= » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have a 3Com 33.6 modem / Base 10 lan combo card
how do i get Linux to use this modema as a modem and a lancard..
i would appreciat if you give answers with RH 5.1 and SW 3.5

thanks in advance

Post by Todd A. Woo » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I have a 3Com 33.6 modem / Base 10 lan combo card
> how do i get Linux to use this modema as a modem and a lancard..
> i would appreciat if you give answers with RH 5.1 and SW 3.5

Step #1: Find out the EXACT Model Number of your 3COM Modem.
i.e. Mine 3COM PCMCIA Card is 3Com/Megahertz 3CXEM556 Ethernet/Modem

The 3CXEM556 is the most important part.

Step #2: Uninstall Red Hat's kernerl-pcmcia.rpm package and install the
         latest version of pcmcia card services.

  I assume you read the PCMCIA-HOWTO and will recall the following
  paragraph on where to find it:

  I spent a good half day trying to get Red Hat's pcmcia to work, to
  only find out my card was supported in the latest release.

<-- include HOWTO here -->
  1.3.  What is the latest version, and where can I get it?

  The current major release of Card Services is version 3.0, and minor
  updates or bug fixes are numbered 3.0.1, 3.0.2, and so on.

  Source code for the latest version is available from
  hyper.stanford.edu in the /pub/pcmcia directory, as pcmcia-
  cs-3.0.?.tar.gz.  There will usually be several versions here.  I
  generally only keep the latest minor release for a given major
  release.  New major releases may contain relatively untested code, so
  I also keep the latest version of the previous major release as a
  relatively stable fallback; the current fallback is 2.9.12.  It is up
  to you to decide which version is more appropriate, but the CHANGES
  file will summarize the most important differences.

  hyper.stanford.edu is mirrored at sunsite.unc.edu (and all sunsite
  mirror sites) in /pub/Linux/kernel/pcmcia.
--

Sincerely,
Todd A. Wood