FDISK /MBR doesn't remove LILO

Post by Chris Husto » Thu, 01 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I tried just nuking lilo with FDISK /MBR. Instead of booting into
Windows, I get what looks like lilo still trying to boot but* on
the secondary boot loader... I see the BIOS crud go by, then just "LI"
in the upper left corner of an otherwise blank screen.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
- Chris

FDISK /MBR doesn't remove LILO

Post by Smegg » Fri, 02 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Did you use a Dos, or Windows95, fdisk /mbr?
The Linux fdisk, does not work.

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:23:31 +0000, Chris Huston

Post by Robert Nicho » Fri, 02 Oct 1998 04:00:00

:I tried just nuking lilo with FDISK /MBR. Instead of booting into
:Windows, I get what looks like lilo still trying to boot but* on
:the secondary boot loader... I see the BIOS crud go by, then just "LI"
:in the upper left corner of an otherwise blank screen.
:
:Any ideas?

Perhaps Lilo wasn't installed in the MBR in the first place, and all you
need to do is use FDISK to make your Windows partition the one marked
"active".

Also, be sure you typed "MBR" in upper case.  Some versions of FDISK
require that.

--

PGP public key 1024/9A9C7955
Key fingerprint = 2F E5 82 F8 5D 06 A2 59  20 65 44 68 87 EC A7 D7

FDISK /MBR doesn't remove LILO

Post by Chris Husto » Fri, 02 Oct 1998 04:00:00

If LILO isn't in the MBR, how else would it work?

I've tried both an PC-DOS 7 FDISK /MBR and a Windows 95 FDISK /MBR - both
upper and lower case. (both versions of fdisk report an error if the switch
isn't recognized).

The C: partition is marked as active. I'll try re-marking it and see if
that helps.

Does anyone know if there is an equivalent of DD for DOS - that way I could
copy the MBR off an existing Windows machine.

Thanks for your help,
- Chris

> :I tried just nuking lilo with FDISK /MBR. Instead of booting into
> :Windows, I get what looks like lilo still trying to boot but* on
> :the secondary boot loader... I see the BIOS crud go by, then just "LI"
> :in the upper left corner of an otherwise blank screen.
> :
> :Any ideas?

> Perhaps Lilo wasn't installed in the MBR in the first place, and all you
> need to do is use FDISK to make your Windows partition the one marked
> "active".

> Also, be sure you typed "MBR" in upper case.  Some versions of FDISK
> require that.

> --

> PGP public key 1024/9A9C7955
> Key fingerprint = 2F E5 82 F8 5D 06 A2 59  20 65 44 68 87 EC A7 D7

FDISK /MBR doesn't remove LILO

Post by Pierre Abba » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anyone know if there is an equivalent of DD for DOS - that way I
could
> copy the MBR off an existing Windows machine.

You can use Norton Diskedit to copy sectors to a file, but be careful not
to overwrite the partition table, which is in the latter part of the
sector.

phma

FDISK /MBR doesn't remove LILO

Post by punk » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Try sys.com with the bootdisk from windows.

>I tried just nuking lilo with FDISK /MBR. Instead of booting into
>Windows, I get what looks like lilo still trying to boot but* on
>the secondary boot loader... I see the BIOS crud go by, then just "LI"
>in the upper left corner of an otherwise blank screen.

>Any ideas?

>Thanks,
>- Chris

FDISK /MBR doesn't remove LILO

Post by José Ure? » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

In other words,
reboot from your windows emergency disk
make sure that the disk has sys.*

type sys a: c:
to copy your windows system files from a: to c:

but make sure the system files in a: are the same as the ones that you want
to replace in c:
I am not sure what will happen if you try to boot windows 4.0b from a
windows 4.0 io.sys+command.com

Post by j.. » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>> Does anyone know if there is an equivalent of DD for DOS - that way I
>could
>> copy the MBR off an existing Windows machine.

        Try one of the floppy booting Linux distros.

Quote:

--
Hardly. Microsoft has brought the microcomputer OS to
the point where it is more bloated than even OSes from          |||

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

FDISK /MBR doesn't remove LILO

Post by Robert Nicho » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

:
:If LILO isn't in the MBR, how else would it work?

You can install Lilo in the first sector of a Linux-native primary
partition and mark that partition "active" in the partition table.  I
used to do that back in the good old days before I had a stable
Linux/Lilo installation.  A lot of people still recommend that just to
avoid the problem of how to purge Lilo from the MBR, but it's awfully
easy to make the disasterous error of installing Lilo on a DOS
partition, where it wipes out the file system parameters.

You can also install Lilo on the extended partition and mark _that_
partition active.  That's the extended partition itself, not one of the
sub-partitions within it.  That works fine, but Norton Disk Doctor and
similar utilities get mildly upset when they find an extended partition
marked "active".

--

PGP public key 1024/9A9C7955
Key fingerprint = 2F E5 82 F8 5D 06 A2 59  20 65 44 68 87 EC A7 D7

FDISK /MBR doesn't remove LILO

Post by Robert Nicho » Mon, 05 Oct 1998 04:00:00

:>
:> You can install Lilo in the first sector of a Linux-native primary
:> partition and mark that partition "active" in the partition table.  I
:> used to do that back in the good old days before I had a stable
:> Linux/Lilo installation.  A lot of people still recommend that just to
:> avoid the problem of how to purge Lilo from the MBR, but it's awfully
:> easy to make the disasterous error of installing Lilo on a DOS
:> partition, where it wipes out the file system parameters.
:
:So how do you get rid of it once you've installed Lilo there?

If you're talking about the problem of the corrupted DOS partition,
the problem is not getting rid of Lilo -- it's recovering the DOS
file system parameters that were stored in that sector.  Usually
Norton Disk Doctor can reconstruct that data, though there are some
cases involving resized partitions or FAT-32 file systems where it
doesn't have enough information to do that right.  At that point it's
time to find someone with knowledge about the structure of the file
system and a copy of Norton Diskedit.

Otherwise, you can leave Lilo there and not worry about it -- just mark
a different partition "active", and the Lilo boot loader will be
ignored.  Since you are deleting Lilo, presumably you are about to
delete that partition and replace it with a DOS partition.  When you do
that the Lilo installation will be overwritten.

: I've tried
:getting rid of Lilo, and the UI doesn't come up at boot time but I can't
:install NT now (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE) -- essentially it seems to have
:hosed the MBR. How can I reset the MBR?
:
:And what do people think about the risks of FDISK /MBR under Win98 to fix the
:MBR back to just booting Win98? I saw a page at powerquest web site
:(http://support.powerquest.com/pm/pm6019.html) that warns strongly against its
:use.

As long as you know that your problem is simply due to the presence of
Lilo in the MBR, then "FDISK /MBR" is relatively safe.  The problem is
that "FDISK /MBR" is frequently suggested as a panacea for various
ill-defined disk problems (most having nothing whatever to do with the
primary boot loader in the MBR).  If there is a disk manager installed
in the MBR, or perhaps a virus that has encrypted the partition table,
then FDISK /MBR will cause you to lose access to your data.  It's a
situation that an expert can still fix, but anyone with the ability to
recover from that would most likely never have asked the question.
Since one of Powerquest's major products is just such a disk manager,
you can understand why those people would warn so strongly against
FDISK /MBR.

BTW, I once heard from a person who had coached someone on the opposite
coast through the process of reconstructing a partition table (a simple
one) with DEBUG.  IIRC, he said he had some 60 pages of e-mail as a
record of the week-long task.

--

Post by David Rivenbur » Tue, 06 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> In other words,
> reboot from your windows emergency disk
> make sure that the disk has sys.*

> type sys a: c:
> to copy your windows system files from a: to c:

> but make sure the system files in a: are the same as the ones that you want
> to replace in c:
> I am not sure what will happen if you try to boot windows 4.0b from a
> windows 4.0 io.sys+command.com

Be careful with this.  You may end up doing damage that can be a real
pain in the arse to undo.

Also, this won't be the problem in the first place.  Dos/windows system
files are not used until the boot loader decides which partition to boot
from, and by then it's too late.  It's purely a question of what's on
the master boot record.

1. Use 'fdisk /mbr' under NT 3.51 to remove lilo & linux?

Hello:

        I need to remove lilo, and several linux partitions from my
system. I have a dos/win/winNT3.51 (i.e. FAT) partition and three linux
partitions following. I also have lilo which enables me to boot either
linux or dos/win/winNT. Can I use fdisk under NT to remove lilo & linux
without disturbing the dual boot setup which NT created - if so, I would
like to know the steps. Or, do I need to use fdisk under dos or linux
first? Also wondering if I can make the last three (now linux) partitions
into one for the use of NT as an NTFS partition ?  I used FIPS to
resize the primary partition to enable me to create the partitions for
linux in the first place. Any specifics/help much appreciated.

Brett

2. Recommended FDDI/CDDI cards for IBM/RS6000s ?.

3. uninstalling LILO using fdisk /mbr doesn't work with DrDos 6.0

4. Internet Explorer under KDE on Solaris

5. LILO not removed by fdisk /mbr, fat possibly destroyed

6. DESPERATE--Strange crashes w/1.1.0(Yggdrasil)

7. FDISK /MBR does not remove LILO

8. NFS V3 and NFS V2 on an Ultra with Solaris2.5 ???

9. fdisk /mbr doesn't work

10. LILO and DOS's fdisk /mbr

11. Remove LILO, and reinstall Win95's MBR?

12. MBR-Can't remove LILO completely-HELP!

13. LILO doesn't work from my IDE MBR