Console font / resolution

Post by Jeffrey Hoo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am running a dual boot box with Windows 98 and Redhat 6.0... I can run X
in 800x600, and 1024x768...  a friend of mine uses the line:
vga=792
in his lilo.conf file, but I am using loadlin.exe to boot to Linux, and
don't know how to get that command to run...

Is there any way to specify a resolution without using lilo, and are there
any other alternatives...  I tried using SVGATextMode, but can't seem to get
it to run any fonts other than the VGA ones...  my video card is an ATI, but
the settings for that either don't work, or aren't much of an improvement...
I can't seem to find out what the clock speed should be for my card, and
looking at the /etc/X11/XFConfig file doesn't tell me anything...

Thanks in advance...

JH

Console font / resolution

Post by Dances With Cro » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I am running a dual boot box with Windows 98 and Redhat 6.0... I can run X
>in 800x600, and 1024x768...  a friend of mine uses the line:
>vga=792
>in his lilo.conf file, but I am using loadlin.exe to boot to Linux, and
>don't know how to get that command to run...
>Is there any way to specify a resolution without using lilo, and are there
>any other alternatives...

To be able to use the framebuffer modes (vga=792 is a framebuffer mode)
then you need to compile a kernel with framebuffer support enabled.
Then you can pass the option "vga=792" to LOADLIN by editing LINUX.BAT
on your DOS partition like so:

loadlin c:\vmlinuz vga=792

You can pass parameters to the kernel by just putting them right after
the C:\vmlinuz part of that .BAT file.  Something to try would be
"vga=ask", which will give you a list of modes that your graphics card
supports.  Enter the mode number you want when Linux boots, and the
console screen will have that mode (80x34, 100x37, 132x50, etc.)
SVGATextMode is unmaintained and you really shouldn't use it.

Further info can be found at http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /   Tyranny is always better organized
http://www.brainbench.com     /    than freedom.
-----------------------------/              --Charles Peguy

Console font / resolution

Post by Jeffrey Hoo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks...  that definately answers my question... and raises another one...
when I do a vga=ask, and then scan, I get a list from 0 to b (1-9,a-b)...  I
can type in either 9, or 0122 (I guess the hex value...) and have it load
the
resolution (in my case, 100x30...)  but I can't seem to put either vga=9 or
vga=0122 in the lilo conf file... it accepts them, but gives me an ask
prompt
during boot... are the only ones that I can use the ones that come up first,
before the scan...

And one more...  when I do get vga=788, etc to load (I guess my kernel must
have
had framebuffer support enabled already...) my console is flaked out after
returning from a startx Gnome session...  none of the modes seems to cure
it, and
I have to reboot to get a "clean" console...

Thanks again...

JH

Quote:>To be able to use the framebuffer modes (vga=792 is a framebuffer mode)
>then you need to compile a kernel with framebuffer support enabled.
>Then you can pass the option "vga=792" to LOADLIN by editing LINUX.BAT
>on your DOS partition like so:

>loadlin c:\vmlinuz vga=792

>You can pass parameters to the kernel by just putting them right after
>the C:\vmlinuz part of that .BAT file.  Something to try would be
>"vga=ask", which will give you a list of modes that your graphics card
>supports.  Enter the mode number you want when Linux boots, and the
>console screen will have that mode (80x34, 100x37, 132x50, etc.)
>SVGATextMode is unmaintained and you really shouldn't use it.

Console font / resolution

Post by ne.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Thanks...  that definately answers my question... and raises another one...
>when I do a vga=ask, and then scan, I get a list from 0 to b (1-9,a-b)...  I
>can type in either 9, or 0122 (I guess the hex value...) and have it load
>the resolution (in my case, 100x30...)  but I can't seem to put
>either vga=9 or vga=0122 in the lilo conf file... it accepts them,
>but gives me an ask prompt during boot... are the only ones that I
>can use the ones that come up first, before the scan...

Did you run /sbin/lilo after chaanging the 'vga=' line??

Quote:>And one more...  when I do get vga=788, etc to load (I guess my kernel must
>have had framebuffer support enabled already...) my console is flaked
>out after returning from a startx Gnome session...  none of the modes
>seems to cure it, and I have to reboot to get a "clean" console...

If you have framebuffer support for your graf card,
you should use something like:

        append="video=matrox:vesa:402"

This give that nice cute penguin image on bootup.
NOTE: vga=<value|ask> does not necessarily mean you
have framebuffer support in your kernel. If/when
your consol is messed up after exiting X, try
typing 'reset'.
[...]

If you analyse anything, you destroy it.
                -- Arthur Miller
 12:08pm  up 20 days, 15:20,  8 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00

Console font / resolution

Post by Jeffrey Hoo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>>Thanks...  that definately answers my question... and raises another
one...
>>when I do a vga=ask, and then scan, I get a list from 0 to b (1-9,a-b)...
>>can type in either 9, or 0122 (I guess the hex value...) and have it load
>>the resolution (in my case, 100x30...)  but I can't seem to put
>>either vga=9 or vga=0122 in the lilo conf file... it accepts them,
>>but gives me an ask prompt during boot... are the only ones that I
>>can use the ones that come up first, before the scan...
>Did you run /sbin/lilo after chaanging the 'vga=' line??

yepper.... doesn't seem to make any difference...  it is acting like the
options
_after_ doing the scan aren't available... putting in 0-6 works fine...
(those are
the ones on the initial display on vga=ask

Quote:>>And one more...  when I do get vga=788, etc to load (I guess my kernel
must
>>have had framebuffer support enabled already...) my console is flaked
>>out after returning from a startx Gnome session...  none of the modes
>>seems to cure it, and I have to reboot to get a "clean" console...
>If you have framebuffer support for your graf card,
>you should use something like:

> append="video=matrox:vesa:402"

>This give that nice cute penguin image on bootup.
>NOTE: vga=<value|ask> does not necessarily mean you
>have framebuffer support in your kernel. If/when
>your consol is messed up after exiting X, try
>typing 'reset'.

I do get the cute penguin on bootup with just vga=788, etc...  but I will
try
the append line, although I would have no idea what to put on it... is there
something in my XConfig that would point to the correct value, or something
that I can see when X is starting ?

Thanks,
JH

Console font / resolution

Post by ne.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

[...]
Quote:>yepper.... doesn't seem to make any difference...  it is acting like the
>options
>_after_ doing the scan aren't available... putting in 0-6 works fine...
>(those are
>the ones on the initial display on vga=ask

Please /etc/lilo.conf so I can take a look at it.
No guarantees tho..
[...]
Quote:>>This give that nice cute penguin image on bootup.
>>NOTE: vga=<value|ask> does not necessarily mean you
>>have framebuffer support in your kernel. If/when
>>your consol is messed up after exiting X, try
>>typing 'reset'.

>I do get the cute penguin on bootup with just vga=788, etc...  but I will
>try
>the append line, although I would have no idea what to put on it... is there
>something in my XConfig that would point to the correct value, or something
>that I can see when X is starting ?

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/ contains framebuffer docs.

Generic Fortune.
  8:00am  up 21 days, 11:12, 10 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Console font / resolution

Post by Faux_Pseu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

--(Once apon a time, in comp.os.linux.setup,)--
                --(ne... said it like only they can.)--
$/usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/ contains framebuffer docs.
/usr/doc/HOWTO/mini/Vesafb
is also a good source of info on the hex and octal codes for the
vga= option

--
 ._______.                                         ._______.
 | <> <> |  To all who say evolution is to slow to | <> <> |

1. default console font/resolution

is there somewhere that I can change the default font and resolution of
my console windows?  the default font/resolution is huge and I only need
it half that size.

Redhat 7.0
2.4.3
bash
--
================================
Jeffrey Bacon

http://www.breakfast.ca/~jjbacon

2. Advice Needed - Partitioning New HD For Linux

3. resolution on console and resolution in X?

4. HELP!! My include files are "INVISIBLE"!!!!!

5. keyboard/console fonts vs. X-fonts

6. The Real LinuxPPC 2000

7. converting pcf font to console font

8. Anyone using Nice Super EISA?

9. console fonts vs. console characters?

10. xwindows resolutions, fonts questions

11. Problem w resolution (X86Free), and fonts

12. console screen resolution

13. XFree fonts and screen resolution