Modem hangup using pppd with RH 5.0

Post by Steve Lozows » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I am having problems connecting to my ISP using Red Hat 5.0.  I am
using the network configuration control panel button in X to activate
my ppp connection.  I have it to the point that my login and password
are successfully exchanged.  Then I see the following messages in
/var/log/messages:

pppd[373]: Serial connection established
pppd[373]: Using interface ppp0
pppd[373]: Connect ppp0 <--> dev/modem
pppd[373]: Modem hangup
pppd[373]: Connection terminated
pppd[373]: Exit

I have read the available readmes, FAQs, and HOWTOs, but don't know
where to go from here.  Can anyone point me in the right direction
please?

Steve Lozowski

1. DHCP lookup using RH 5.0 and @home cable modem

Hi Everyone,

correctly with Linux Red Hat 5.0.

I am somewhat new to linux, and

I have a system with 2 ethernet interfaces. One is for the internal
network and the other is the interface for the cable modem.

When the cable modem was installed I had it installed on a Win95
box. The peculiar thing I noticed was that they changed both the
machine name and the workgroup name. Whan I asked them about this
thay said that is was because they use a DCHP server to get static
ip addresses, and that the DHCP server requires a host name to
complete the lookup.

If I configure the card for DHCP, then the activation of the interface
never completes. The version of DHCP the comes with redhat 5.0 is
0.65. While poking around on the net,  there seems to be a version 0.7
of DHCP which has a -h switch to specify a host.  The current dhcpcd
package on the redhat site is still at 0.65 though.

As another test I tried setting everything up as a static IP but I
cannot ping any IP except the one assigned to the interface.

Does anyone have some answers to the following questions:

Can this version 0.7 of dhcpcd source be retrieved, and compiled even

though if doesn't come from Redhat? Can I use the one from sunsite for
example? Is there anything special I need to do to the code to get it
to compile to be compatible with redhat?

Has anyone else had a sililar problem and if so, what did you do to
get around it?

to send e-mail to me, transpose the words separated by
the underscore character

2. interrupt priority

3. pppd modem hangup

4. Browser based admin tools

5. modem hangup during chat/pppd sequence

6. HELP ME! I think I've blown away a portion of my partition.

7. pppd doesn't see modem hangup

8. More on MS's war of words....

9. hangup modem from pppd?

10. pppd doesn't quit after modem hangup

11. modem dosen't always hangup after pppd dies

12. SMBFS-2.0.2 on RH 5.0 (was Re: make error on RH 5.0)

13. linux RH 5.0 CD, where is pppd?