Any experience on amd -- the Automounter

Any experience on amd -- the Automounter

Post by Fung Wai Keu » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

[ Article crossposted from comp.os.linux.misc ]
[ Author was Fung Wai Keung ]
[ Posted on 21 Nov 1997 02:33:07 GMT ]

Hi,

        I'm setting up 2 PCs on RedHat 4.2 Linux.  There are some filesystems that I have to cross-mount
between them (via NFS).  As they are connected by the same power supply, they will boot up together.
After they boot up, there are some filesystems fail to mount.  The idea of automounting the filesystems
when they are needed pops up.  I intend to setup amd on my Linux system.  However, I'm confused by the
syntax of the map files used in amd.  I've referenced  to the manual, but still don't understand how to
write the map file.

The filesystems that I intend to cross-mount between the 2 PC's are

        PC 1 export                     PC 2 export
        ===========                     ===========

(1)     users' home directory           some application directory
(2)     application directory

ie. In PC 1, I want to mount application directories export by PC 2, while I want to mount users' home
directory and application directory (which is exported by PC 1) in PC 2.

In the /etc/amd.conf, I find the following statement.

========================== /etc/amd.conf =======================

/defaults fs:=${autodir}/${rhost}/root/${rfs};opts=nosuid,nodev
*       rhost:=${key};type:=host;rfs:=/

If I want to add my mount map to my system, should I just append the map in the file /etc/amd.conf, or
add the mount maps to other files (In amd manual and other reference, there are some other files related
to automountingm like auto_master, auto.direct, etc.).  Is there any automounter has simpler (or
understandable) syntax on mount map for Linux?  Is there any GUI for creating map mount for Linux or
RedHat?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Wai Keung, Fung

1. Any experience on amd -- the Automounter

[...]

2. Kernel compile issues

3. how can I rename files with spaces in the filenames

4. AMD Automounter Docs

5. x-win won't start with eth0 enabled

6. amd (automounter) news group...Where are they!

7. RedHat on a 386 w/ an ATAPI cdrom

8. Automounter "amd" on FBSD 3.2R

9. amd automounter has -hosts feature?

10. AMD (automounter) setup for home dirs

11. Anyone using the amd automounter with Linux?

12. amd (JSP's automounter)