Lilo and System.map confusion

Lilo and System.map confusion

Post by Richard Kimbe » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 00:52:27



I'm using Mandrake 7.2 and 2.2.17-21mdk

I'm somewhat confused about the role of /boot/System.map and /boot/map in
the installation of a kernel.

My understanding is that when I re-compile a kernel a new System.map-2.x.x
is created. On my system the current one,  System.map-2.2.17-21mdk, is
linked to System.map.  In order to use the new version of the kernel I
assume I must relink System.map to the new System.map-2.2.x.x.  However,
presumably this will mean that at boot up only the new kernel will work (if
indeed it does work).

What I want to achieve is a situation in which I can choose any kernel or
kernel version from the Lilo menu, but I don't see how to do this given
that only one System.map seems to be current at any one time.  I note that
there is a global entry of map=/boot/map.  This file doesn't seem to have
changed after re-compilation.

Neither the kernel HOWTO nor the Lilo mini-HOWTO nor the Lilo man page seem
to explain this, at least not such that I can recognise it as an
explanation.  I'd be very grateful if someone could explain what I need to
do to be able to have several options at boot time - or is this not
possible?  Lilo objects if I put a separate map=... in the image section.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber

http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/area/uk/ge01.htm
British General Election 2001

 
 
 

Lilo and System.map confusion

Post by Paul Kimo » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 02:28:19




> I'm somewhat confused about the role of /boot/System.map and /boot/map in
> the installation of a kernel.

LILO's map (/boot/map) file has nothing to do with System.map files.

Quote:> My understanding is that when I re-compile a kernel a new System.map-2.x.x
> is created. On my system the current one,  System.map-2.2.17-21mdk, is
> linked to System.map.  In order to use the new version of the kernel I
> assume I must relink System.map to the new System.map-2.2.x.x.

No, the System.map file is merely informational; it is used by programs
like ps(1) and klogd(8).  The kernel does not use it.  Other programs will
work (but may gripe).

Quote:>  However,
> presumably this will mean that at boot up only the new kernel will work (if
> indeed it does work).

> What I want to achieve is a situation in which I can choose any kernel or
> kernel version from the Lilo menu, but I don't see how to do this given
> that only one System.map seems to be current at any one time.  I note that
> there is a global entry of map=/boot/map.  This file doesn't seem to have
> changed after re-compilation.

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,
hyperlinks, or the like shown here have been added without my consent,
and may be a violation of international copyright law.

 
 
 

Lilo and System.map confusion

Post by Peter T. Breue » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 03:09:29



> I'm somewhat confused about the role of /boot/System.map and /boot/map in
> the installation of a kernel.

They're not involved. The former is a debugging aid for kernel hackers.
The latter is part of a lilo boot sequence. If you don't debug and you
don't use lilo, then you need neither of them, yet you can still enjoy
your new kernel - which shows you the independence.

Peter

 
 
 

Lilo and System.map confusion

Post by Richard Kimbe » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 04:01:04




> > I'm somewhat confused about the role of /boot/System.map and /boot/map
> > in the installation of a kernel.

> They're not involved. The former is a debugging aid for kernel hackers.
> The latter is part of a lilo boot sequence. If you don't debug and you
> don't use lilo, then you need neither of them, yet you can still enjoy
> your new kernel - which shows you the independence.

> Peter

So /boot/map only changes if Lilo itself is changed (i.e.upgraded) ?

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber

http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/area/uk/ge01.htm
British General Election 2001

 
 
 

Lilo and System.map confusion

Post by Michael Heimin » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 05:17:01





> > > I'm somewhat confused about the role of /boot/System.map and /boot/map
> > > in the installation of a kernel.

> > They're not involved. The former is a debugging aid for kernel hackers.
> > The latter is part of a lilo boot sequence. If you don't debug and you
> > don't use lilo, then you need neither of them, yet you can still enjoy
> > your new kernel - which shows you the independence.

> > Peter

> So /boot/map only changes if Lilo itself is changed (i.e.upgraded) ?

/boot/map is every time, you call "lilo" new generated.

Peter wrote, you don't need it if you don't use lilo to boot, sounds
reasonable.

Michael Heiming

 
 
 

Lilo and System.map confusion

Post by Peter T. Breue » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 05:13:44





>> > I'm somewhat confused about the role of /boot/System.map and /boot/map
>> > in the installation of a kernel.

>> They're not involved. The former is a debugging aid for kernel hackers.
>> The latter is part of a lilo boot sequence. If you don't debug and you
>> don't use lilo, then you need neither of them, yet you can still enjoy
>> your new kernel - which shows you the independence.
> So /boot/map only changes if Lilo itself is changed (i.e.upgraded) ?

No, it changes whenever /sbin/lilo is rerun (although I guess the
change may be trivial at times :-).

Peter

 
 
 

1. System.map not parseable as a System.map

After compiling and installing 2.2.14 with "bzlilo", I'm getting warning
messages such as:
Warning: /boot/System.map not parseable as a System.map
Warning: /usr/src/linux/System.map not parseable as a System.map
Warning: /System.map not parseable as a System.map            

After recompiling, I copied the "System.map" file in
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14 to the above three places, but am still getting
the warnings.

My lilo.conf is:
boot=/dev/hda
map=/System.map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
default=linux

image=/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hdb6

other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos

Any ideas?

--
Jack L. Owens             K6PWY



2. trivial: pcnet32 whitespace

3. LILO and System.map

4. nfsd man page on Solaris 9 - bug

5. Can Lilo select System.map file ?

6. extending printer life

7. Can I make System.map -> zSystem.map???

8. WWW Servers for linux

9. Lilo -- System Commander = Confusion

10. Q: relationship between vmlinuz, System.map, & module.map

11. confusion about LILO on multiboot system

12. RedHat 5.2, "/boot/System.map" and "/boot/System.map"

13. what is System.map? zSystem.map?