Xserver doesn't go beyond the grey screen.

Xserver doesn't go beyond the grey screen.

Post by Dennis W. Shi » Sat, 18 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Howdy!

I was glad that I finally got Mach64 X server running
on Redhat 5 box with fvwm2.  (fvwm2 will be canned
as soon as I get my ppp working, and I can download
afterstep.)

Unfortunately, I must have changed something around
since it hangs after giving me the grey screen (just after
typing "startx")

I am guessing that the window manager somehow got
tweaked so that it doesn't run anymore, but I am at
a loss as to where to start looking.  The system's
xinitrc looks rather long, and I don't remember
modifying it at all..  The line that's of primary interest
probably is: " exec fvwm2 "  There is no "& " so it
can't be running in the background.

I updated Xconfigurator and Xserver-wrapper so
I am guessing that might be the cause of the problem.

Please let me know if anyone out there has any ideas
on how to go about fixing it..

thanks,
Dennis

linux distrib: Redhat 5
Installed a few updates from the Redhat site:
LD.so, mkinitrd, PPP, RPM, Xconfigurator, Xserver-wrapper

PII 333, 128 Mb RAM

1. X doesn't start, instead shows a grey screen

Hi, I'm relatively new to linux and X, and recently I accidentally (and
mindlessly) shut down linux using ctrl-alt-del, which was a really bad idea.
After that, my linux still started, but because I configured to let X start
automatically, X would start load up after Linux's loaded, and it would give
me a grey screen with mouse enabled, but it would not give me the login
screen any more and I don't know how to get out of this screen.  How can I
return to console mode and re-configure X? Or do I need to reinstall X
server etc. (or worst, my Linux? I've got too many customized
option/software to give up already).

Thanks a lot if any of you would kindly reply to this mesg!

Mingyi

2. How to exit X-Window?

3. RH 5.2 CD boot doesn't go beyond formatting the hda2

4. X11 libs....where?

5. complaints about Windows XP. NOT!

6. Xserver boots to grey screen

7. Upgrading memory - RedHat 5.0 crashes

8. XFree86 stops at 'grey' screen

9. Newbie: 'ifup eth0' followed by GNOME logout causes gray screen

10. Running screen savers, but monitor doesn't go to sleep after XX min.

11. I've gone grey over the weekend...Help

12. X won't work, I just get a cross cursor and a grey screen....