Linux and Zip drive problem

Post by Evan Hawki » Sun, 30 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi
Please could anyone help.
I am trying to install a slakware linux (2 i think) onto a zip drive.
Setup worked ok to create boot disk.  However whenever I boot
with this floppy I get a message "unable to load root fs on 08:01"--this
is a kernel panic.  I have a zip zoom scsi adapter which works fine
with the mini boot kernel that comes on the installation disk.
I don't want to install LILO onto my IDE hard drive -- I want
all of Linux on Zip with a floppy boot.

Do I need to install LILO onto the floppy in order for Linux
to receive the additional parameter for aha152x=... ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Evan

Replies by mail ok.

1. Iomega ZIP parallel zip drive under red hat linux 6.0 problem solved

Thanks to all that sent me suggestions on how to get the $%(#!! thing
working.  Help, particularly the free kind, is always appreciated.

Success came when, contrary to what the FAQ implies, I discovered that
a parallel port zip drive is not ALWAYS /dev/sda4.

On my computer it happened to be /dev/sdc4 -- maybe that's because I
have 3 SCSI adapters in it and a handful of SCSI hard drives and peripherals.
I dunno.

So if you're ready to take a chainsaw to your spiffy new ZIP drive because
you've done
  $ insmod parport
  $ insmod ppa
  $ mount -t vfat /dev/sda4 /zipdrive
and all the damn thing says back to you is
    mount: /dev/sda4 is not a valid block device
try /dev/somethingelse, in particular /dev/sdb4, /dev/sdc4, and so on.

--
Phil Geiger

2. backup solutions

3. HELP: IDE ZIP drive and Red hat, cannot access Zip drive

4. Simple telnet login question

5. Zip temp FAQ: Linux Zip drive

6. PEX and XIE extention modules not loaded

7. Interleaved black lines when playing at double or full-screen size

8. ATAPI Zip in Linux (Was Re: ZIP drive parameters)

9. SCSI Zip drive w/ Zip zoom scsi adapter problems...

10. Zip temp FAQ: Linux Zip drive

11. Iomega Zip drive detection problem under Linux