Compiling on my laptop, 2.034

Post by Douglas Nichol » Sat, 27 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I have Redhat 5.1 and kernel 2.0.34 and think I have
everything I need.
Everything works until I get to make zImage.

I first got can't find as86, so I installed this and now the
tools/build.c gives me several errors about the standard
libraries not being found. which makes me think either some
path/env. var is not being set right, but I haven't got a
clue about getting this set correctly.

Strangely I have had very good success on my desktop. But I
really need to recompile the laptop to get the shutdown
features.

Any assist is greatly appreciated.

Compiling on my laptop, 2.034

Post by Paul Kimo » Sun, 28 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I first got can't find as86, so I installed this and now the
> tools/build.c gives me several errors about the standard
> libraries not being found. which makes me think either some
> path/env. var is not being set right, but I haven't got a
> clue about getting this set correctly.

Really, you must tell us what these error messages are.

Quote:> Strangely I have had very good success on my desktop. But I
> really need to recompile the laptop to get the shutdown
> features.

By the way, you may compile the kernel on the other machine
(i.e., the desktop) and transfer the relevant files.

--

Compiling on my laptop, 2.034

Post by Douglas Nichol » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I guess it would be better to let you know more..., but what
fun would you have then. I do appreciate your assistance!
Here is the exact messages I am getting.

rm -f $tmppiggy $tmppiggy.gz $tmppiggy.lnk
ld -m elf_i386 -Ttext 0x1000 -e startup_32  -o vmlinux
head.o misc.o piggy.o
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/linux-2.0.34/arch/i386/boot/compressed'

gcc -I/usr/src/linux-2.0.34/include -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer
-D__BFD__ -o tools/build tools/build.c
-I/usr/src/linux-2.0.34/include
tools/build.c:25: stdio.h: No such file or directory
tools/build.c:26: string.h: No such file or directory
tools/build.c:27: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
tools/build.c:28: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
tools/build.c:29: sys/stat.h: No such file or directory
tools/build.c:30: sys/sysmacros.h: No such file or directory
tools/build.c:31: unistd.h: No such file or directory
tools/build.c:32: fcntl.h: No such file or directory
tools/build.c:35: errno.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [tools/build] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/linux-2.0.34/arch/i386/boot'
make: *** [zImage] Error 2

Thanks for you time.
Cheers

dn

> > I first got can't find as86, so I installed this and now the
> > tools/build.c gives me several errors about the standard
> > libraries not being found. which makes me think either some
> > path/env. var is not being set right, but I haven't got a
> > clue about getting this set correctly.

> Really, you must tell us what these error messages are.

> > Strangely I have had very good success on my desktop. But I
> > really need to recompile the laptop to get the shutdown
> > features.

> By the way, you may compile the kernel on the other machine
> (i.e., the desktop) and transfer the relevant files.

> --

Compiling on my laptop, 2.034

Post by Paul Kimo » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Here is the exact messages I am getting.
> gcc -I/usr/src/linux-2.0.34/include -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer
>  -D__BFD__ -o tools/build tools/build.c
>  -I/usr/src/linux-2.0.34/include
> tools/build.c:25: stdio.h: No such file or directory
> tools/build.c:26: string.h: No such file or directory

 [etc.]

Are these *.h files (probably from the libc development package)
in /usr/include?  If not, you must install them.

--

1. eCos compile and install on x86 laptop... help?

I have RH 7.3 fully installed (give or take some unwanted stuff) on an
old x86 200mhz craputer with 128 megs ram... lots of swap space, bout
15 gigs of space to play in. I would like to be able to use eCos as a
stepping stone into playing with the embedded operating systems on
different architectures. I have an x86 laptop with a 355 meg hard
drive, and a PPC laptop with a 2gig drive that I want to tinker with.

I would like to know if anyone has attempted installation of eCos on a
laptop, installing to either /dev/hda , /dev/sda4 (ide-scsi zip disk)
, or /dev/*pcmcia-compact-flash-card*. I have tried a few things with
installing a tiny distro on the cf card, and found the interesting
issue of the pcmcia-core mod is not installed yet to have it recognize
the cf card as /dev/hdc. Did not try too hard to work around it, it
wasn't all that important... (and wife wanted to use it to take
pictures with... *sigh*)

I have looked into the different packages that are offered with a dev
board and tools and all that fancy stuff, but damn... that pricey for
someone who is just playing around... $3000+ from what I've found for
an amd elan dev kit. Granted it had all the nice things I would like
to play with like the touch lcd, built in nic, usb ability, etc etc
etc etc...

Please if anyone could help me in the direction of installing on an
old Toshiba laptop, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks folks

2. PostScript FAQ

3. LIL- Dead after Kernel Compile on NT Duel Boot Laptop??

4. SQUID authentication

5. Kernel compile question - 2.2.6 on Laptop...

6. Siemens supporting LINUX ?

7. help with compiling new kernel for ibm laptop

8. FASTBACK For SOLARIS - *WARNING*

9. booting after new Kernel compile reboots laptop automatically

10. RedHat 9, compile crash K6 2 laptop

11. help with compiling new kernel for ibm laptop