Linux Red Hat 6.1 installation on Win98 PC

Linux Red Hat 6.1 installation on Win98 PC

Post by Jens Mun » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi there,

Could someone give me a fool proof guide on how to install Red Hat Linux 6.1
on a PC currently running Win98. I don't want to change my Win98
installation and I would preferably like to have Linux on a separate
harddisk (or drive partition)

What do I do? Isn't there a description somewhere?

Thanks in advance,

Jens.

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: Could someone give me a fool proof guide on how to install Red Hat Linux 6.1
: on a PC currently running Win98. I don't want to change my Win98
: installation and I would preferably like to have Linux on a separate
: harddisk (or drive partition)

So put it there.

: What do I do? Isn't there a description somewhere?

Just install normallly. Yes, there are descriptions everywhere.
What stops you reading them? You will be asked where yo want to put
linux during the install.

Why don't you back up your current installation, just in case? Then you
needn't even worry.

Peter

Linux Red Hat 6.1 installation on Win98 PC

Post by stevemorre » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Try TurboLinux, it comes with System Commander which will repartition your
Hardrive non-destructively, then it sets up it's own bootloader and begins
install of the OS.  It does all this without affecting your windows setup at
all.  Assuming of course you have enough free spave on your harddisk.

Quote:> Hi there,

> Could someone give me a fool proof guide on how to install Red Hat Linux
6.1
> on a PC currently running Win98. I don't want to change my Win98
> installation and I would preferably like to have Linux on a separate
> harddisk (or drive partition)

> What do I do? Isn't there a description somewhere?

> Thanks in advance,

> Jens.

Linux Red Hat 6.1 installation on Win98 PC

Post by Steve Hal » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

As a fellow newbie, after many hours of fumbling around
my tips would be:

1) get Linux from a shop, which should come with a full
complement of manuals (I've got Mandrake's version of
Red Hat Linux) - it's not free but saves a lot of time
if you're not sure where to start.
2) go for the extra harddrive option as this saves a lot
of hassle and heartache when partitioning the drive.
I've got Windows on my primary harddrive and linux
on my secondary.
3) if you have any problems with LILO (the boot manager
for selecting which OS to start) try using loadlin.exe
(a DOS utility).  With a little fiddling of your config.sys
file you can get a menu to appear at Startup.

Hopefully the above should be relatively hassle free.

Once you have Linux started there are a whole bunch of
help files ("HOWTO" files) and the Linux newsgroups are
very useful.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve

> Hi there,

> Could someone give me a fool proof guide on how to install Red Hat Linux 6.1
> on a PC currently running Win98. I don't want to change my Win98
> installation and I would preferably like to have Linux on a separate
> harddisk (or drive partition)

> What do I do? Isn't there a description somewhere?

> Thanks in advance,

> Jens.

Linux Red Hat 6.1 installation on Win98 PC

Post by Jens Mun » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have "Red Hat Linux Unleashed" but unfortunately it is not very unleashed
on the installation. I wouldn't mind if I had to press F8 when I start the
PC to stop Windows loading and start LILO or loadln from the DOS prompt as
long as I don't have to spent time on changing my Windows installation.

My PC is my job and if that screws up I am in-operational for a while.

Any comments are welcome,

Thanks,

Jens.

>As a fellow newbie, after many hours of fumbling around
>my tips would be:

>1) get Linux from a shop, which should come with a full
>complement of manuals (I've got Mandrake's version of
>Red Hat Linux) - it's not free but saves a lot of time
>if you're not sure where to start.
>2) go for the extra harddrive option as this saves a lot
>of hassle and heartache when partitioning the drive.
>I've got Windows on my primary harddrive and linux
>on my secondary.
>3) if you have any problems with LILO (the boot manager
>for selecting which OS to start) try using loadlin.exe
>(a DOS utility).  With a little fiddling of your config.sys
>file you can get a menu to appear at Startup.

>Hopefully the above should be relatively hassle free.

>Once you have Linux started there are a whole bunch of
>help files ("HOWTO" files) and the Linux newsgroups are
>very useful.

>Hope this helps.

>Cheers,

>Steve

Linux Red Hat 6.1 installation on Win98 PC

Post by cLIeNUX us » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>I have "Red Hat Linux Unleashed" but unfortunately it is not very unleashed
>on the installation. I wouldn't mind if I had to press F8 when I start the
>PC to stop Windows loading and start LILO or loadln from the DOS prompt as
>long as I don't have to spent time on changing my Windows installation.

>My PC is my job and if that screws up I am in-operational for a while.

So go beg a 486 off someone for Linux.

Rick Hohensee
from a PS/2 9595 AMD486/150/64meg 4x1gig SCSI
not bad at all with a real OS.

>Any comments are welcome,

>Thanks,

>Jens.

>>As a fellow newbie, after many hours of fumbling around
>>my tips would be:

>>1) get Linux from a shop, which should come with a full
>>complement of manuals (I've got Mandrake's version of
>>Red Hat Linux) - it's not free but saves a lot of time
>>if you're not sure where to start.
>>2) go for the extra harddrive option as this saves a lot
>>of hassle and heartache when partitioning the drive.
>>I've got Windows on my primary harddrive and linux
>>on my secondary.
>>3) if you have any problems with LILO (the boot manager
>>for selecting which OS to start) try using loadlin.exe
>>(a DOS utility).  With a little fiddling of your config.sys
>>file you can get a menu to appear at Startup.

>>Hopefully the above should be relatively hassle free.

>>Once you have Linux started there are a whole bunch of
>>help files ("HOWTO" files) and the Linux newsgroups are
>>very useful.

>>Hope this helps.

>>Cheers,

>>Steve

1. Red Hat 6.0 / 6.1 Installation on HP Pavilion PC

I have an HP Pavilion PC, 500 MHz Pentium III with 64 MB RAM and 20GB Hard
Drive.  The problem I'm having is getting Red Hat to install / operate
properly.  I have an intermittent keyboard / mouse failure that causes
random characters to print to the screen, as if Linux loses the keyboard
map or something.  It happens whenever I try to run at init5 (I've got an
NVIDIA VANTA 8MB AGP card which wants to use the SVGA driver under Red Hat
6.1).  The mouse is an HP mouse with wheel, sort of looks like a Logitch
MouseMan + but I can't tell for sure.  The keyboard is a funky Internet
keyboard which  my wife loves for Winblows use, so I'm stuck with it.  The
box is dual-boot using LILO, a 127MB Swap partition, about 5GB for Red
Hat, the rest for Windows.  I've only got two Red Hat partitions, SWAP
and /.  Here's a list of things I've tried:

- Downloading and installing drivers from NVIDIA
- Upgrading to XFree85 3.5 and 3.6
- Continuously reinstalling Red Hat 6.0 / 6.1 with zero results
- Running at init3 (sometimes this will work, but usually I get garbage)

Any ideas to help resolve this one?  Has anyone got an HP Pavilion running
under Red Hat?  Am I doomed to be assimilated by Gates of Borg?

- Steve

2. SysV Rel 3.2 and Rel 4 drivers for tmc 885

3. HELP: LINUX 6.1 RED HAT on Net PC - X Windows

4. Network has stopped working

5. Installation Problem Linux Red Hat 6.1

6. dtrace for solaris 8 & 9

7. Red Hat Linux 6.1 Installation problem

8. SCSI bus converters

9. Dual boot with Red Hat 6.1 and Win98

10. installing Red Hat 6.1 on a virtual pc

11. New Red Hat 6.1 installation on new big disk

12. Installation of JDK1.3.1 CE on Red Hat 6.1

13. S3 Trio 3D and Red Hat 6.0/6.1 Installation