LILO-problem: delay

Post by Henrik Lidbj?r » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello!

I use LILO to boot Linux and DOS 6.0 on my box, and it works fine except
for the delay. I want the boot-prompt to appear a couple of seconds
(maybe 5 or 10) and then automatically launch Linux if nobody types
anything in.
So my /etc/lilo.conf looks like this:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
message=/etc/lilo-message
prompt
delay=30
image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        root=/dev/hda2
        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos
        table=/dev/hda

So, what should I do to fix this? I know it works 'cause it did when I
used Red Hat 5.0 (which configured this automatically), which was before
I changed to Slackware 3.6 and wrote /etc/lilo.conf myself.

Thanks in advance

/Henrik
--
Henrik Lidbj?rk, Sweden

http://www.algonet.se/~lidbjork
ICQ: 4417NOSPAM505

LILO-problem: delay

Post by Yves Bellefeuil » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I use LILO to boot Linux and DOS 6.0 on my box, and it works fine except
> for the delay. I want the boot-prompt to appear a couple of seconds
> (maybe 5 or 10) and then automatically launch Linux if nobody types
> anything in.
> So my /etc/lilo.conf looks like this:

[...]

Quote:> delay=30

The correct command is "timeout", not "delay". Note that the value is in
tenths of a second.

--

Ottawa, Canada
Francais / English / Esperanto

1. Strange problem with LILO Delay

I've setup LILO to boot linux or dos, with
30s delay before automatically boot linux.

I've tried this on three differents systems, one
PCI with SCSI disk, one PCI with IDE disk and
one ISA with IDE disk.

With each system, I can't get the string "LILO boot:".

It stops with LIL or LILO or LILO b    !!!!

Then, after 30s, it boots LILO, whatever I type....!!!

The only way I found to get booting DOS was to set LILO
to forever wait my input. Like this, all works fine...but
I sometimes need to remote boot my linux box.......!

I use Slackware 3.0 with kernel 1.2.13

Here's my lilo.conf:
********************
# LILO configuration file
# generated by 'liloconfig'
#
# Start LILO global section
boot = /dev/sda
#compact        # faster, but won't work on all systems.
prompt
vga = normal    # force sane state
ramdisk = 0     # paranoia setting
# End LILO global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /zImage
  root = /dev/sdb2
  label = linux
  read-only # Non-UMSDOS filesystems should be mounted read-only for
checking
# Linux bootable partition config ends
# DOS bootable partition config begins
other = /dev/sda1
  label = dos
  table = /dev/sda
# DOS bootable partition config ends
*********************

Any idea about this problem?

--
Louis POTY              |  Just some words for |

From Strasbourg, FRANCE |    ( An old dream)   |

2. About porting linux to a new platform

3. solved problems ["error -2", delay pppd, X delay, grey screen]

4. resetting Quotas

5. delaying automatic boot from lilo

6. insmod problems

7. LILO delay

8. Serious problems getting masquerading to work

9. Modify LILO boot delay -> 0?

10. Alsa sound delay with SuSE 8.0 (4-second delay)

11. Setting delay (Was changing monitor power down delay on Ultra 5?)

12. getty: 16 chars, delay, 16 chars, delay..

13. eth0 and eth1 "Delaying eth0 Initialization" and "Delaying eth1 Initialization" errors