PCI Cirrus Logic 5434 - need linear decode address

PCI Cirrus Logic 5434 - need linear decode address

Post by James Mil » Mon, 17 Jul 1995 04:00:00

[ Article crossposted from comp.os.linux.hardware ]
[ Author was  ]
[ Posted on 15 Jul 1995 21:16:10 GMT ]

I have a PCI Cirrus Logic 5434.  I want to run it in linear mode, but I
don't know the Linear decode address for the PCI Card.  The manual tells
how to select it for the VLB using jumpers, but there is no selection for
the PCI card.  Could someone out there tell me what the decode address is
or possibly how I could figure it out?

--
Jimmy Mills       | _FREE_ LD calling anytime, anywhere in the US.  All

http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~mills/

Random Quote:
There is a great discovery still to be made in Literature: that of
paying literary men by the quantity they do NOT write.

--
Jimmy Mills       | _FREE_ LD calling anytime, anywhere in the US.  All

http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~mills/

Random Quote:
Is your job running?  You'd better go catch it!

Post by Gareth Blad » Mon, 24 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>I have a PCI Cirrus Logic 5434.  I want to run it in linear mode, but I
>don't know the Linear decode address for the PCI Card.  The manual tells
>how to select it for the VLB using jumpers, but there is no selection for
>the PCI card.  Could someone out there tell me what the decode address is
>or possibly how I could figure it out?

If you installed Linux from a slackware installation it should have also
installed some readme files. You need to look at the cirrus readme file. I
cannot remember where I found it on my system but the file did tell me the
value to use for my VLB Orchid Kelvin 5434. You might also want to look at the
readme.pci if it exists or the PCI HOWTO document.

Here is the membase setting I use which might be a good one to try as I
believe it is situated at about 128Mb.

membase         0x80000000

Homepage:      http://www.tcp.co.uk/~blades
PGP key available from hompage

Post by Hajime Sait » Tue, 25 Jul 1995 04:00:00

   >I have a PCI Cirrus Logic 5434.  I want to run it in linear mode, but I
   >don't know the Linear decode address for the PCI Card.  The manual tells
   >how to select it for the VLB using jumpers, but there is no selection for
   >the PCI card.  Could someone out there tell me what the decode address is
   >or possibly how I could figure it out?

   If you installed Linux from a slackware installation it should have also
   installed some readme files. You need to look at the cirrus readme file. I
   cannot remember where I found it on my system but the file did tell me the
   value to use for my VLB Orchid Kelvin 5434. You might also want to look at the
   readme.pci if it exists or the PCI HOWTO document.

If you have XFree-3.1.1 there should be a program called scanpci.
With it you can get the linear decode address for the PCI Card.
Mine was around 30??MB (sorry but my PC is at home).

Hajime Saito

Post by Ole Ingar Bentstu » Tue, 25 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>    >I have a PCI Cirrus Logic 5434.  I want to run it in linear mode, but I
>    >don't know the Linear decode address for the PCI Card.  The manual tells
>    >how to select it for the VLB using jumpers, but there is no selection for
>    >the PCI card.  Could someone out there tell me what the decode address is
>    >or possibly how I could figure it out?

I had a Diamond Speedstar 64 Alpine on a computer, and had problems finding the
linear address.  The answer was in the BIOS.  The computer had Phoenix BIOS,
and I had to set the start of Linear Addresses in BIOS.  This address was
not set from factory.  After setting this variable to 300 (something), I
could use Linear addressing mode with the Speedstar.

Check out your bios for possible settings of Linear addressing space.

-Ingar Bentstuen

1. PCI Cirrus Logic 5434 - need linear decode address

I have a PCI Cirrus Logic 5434.  I want to run it in linear mode, but I
don't know the Linear decode address for the PCI Card.  The manual tells
how to select it for the VLB using jumpers, but there is no selection for
the PCI card.  Could someone out there tell me what the decode address is
or possibly how I could figure it out?

--
Jimmy Mills       | _FREE_ LD calling anytime, anywhere in the US.  All

http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~mills/

Random Quote:
There is a great discovery still to be made in Literature: that of
paying literary men by the quantity they do NOT write.

2. Using multiple NIC's

3. Linear addressing on Cirrus 5434

4. HELP PPPD AND GATEWAY

5. linear addressing cirrus 5434

6. Problems with runlevel 4

7. cirrus logic 5434 membase with STB NITRO PCI on acer

8. cut and paste key bindings

9. Help: PCI Cirrus Logic 5434

10. Video Card Kelvin 64/PCI (Cirrus Logic 5434) and X11

11. XF86Config for Cirrus Logic CLGD5430/5434 needed ...

12. Cirrus Logic 5434 not supported

13. Cirrus Logic 5434 1MB in Xwindows (XFREE 86 3.2)