Master Boot Record Error

Post by tao lon » Sun, 08 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I installed Redhat 5.2, but lilo complained that "Partition entry not
found." when it tried to mount my windows partition in the bootloader.
However, my windows starts up fine.  I've tried fdisk /mbr, but it didn't
make any difference.  So every time, I have to use a boot disk to boot to
Linux.  Can anyone help?

Tao

Master Boot Record Error

Post by Matthew Brother » Mon, 09 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I installed Redhat 5.2, but lilo complained that "Partition entry not
> found." when it tried to mount my windows partition in the bootloader.
> However, my windows starts up fine.  I've tried fdisk /mbr, but it didn't
> make any difference.  So every time, I have to use a boot disk to boot to
> Linux.  Can anyone help?

> Tao

    You need to ensure the your lilo configuration file, found in
/etc/lilo.conf, is configured properly; you can learn all about the lilo.conf
options by running 'man lilo.conf' from the command prompt.  After this you
need to run 'lilo' to install the current boot sector into place on your
master boot record.  If you need any further help with the configuration
contact me via private e-mail and I will gladly help you.

** Matthew

Master Boot Record Error

Post by Klaus G Wagn » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

>I installed Redhat 5.2, but lilo complained that "Partition entry not
>found." when it tried to mount my windows partition in the bootloader.
>However, my windows starts up fine.  I've tried fdisk /mbr, but it didn't
>make any difference.  So every time, I have to use a boot disk to boot to
>Linux.  Can anyone help?

This message appears if you try to include a _logical_ partition
to be booted by means of the chain loader /boot/chain.b
into your LILO setup.

LILO cannot do this (the chain loader is not smart enough to find
logical partitions): so if your windows partition is indeed a logical
one, better use loadlin to boot Linux.

From the Linux+Win95 Mini-Howto (which says "linload" instead of
"loadlin" -- I don't know why):

------------8<---------------------------------------8<-------------

  _5.1.3 Linload, What's That?_

   Linload is a DOS execuatble which loads a kernel image from a DOS HD
   (or floppy) and then boots the rest of the Linux Operating System from
   an appropriate root partition. If you're really a good hacker, you can
   do a floppyless Linux install this way, but today we are going to do
   more traditional uses. When booting into Windows 95 hit the F8 key
   (when:

Starting Windows 95...

   is displayed) and select "Safe mode, command prompt only." Go to your
   directory where you put your kernel and run

C:\LINUX> linload.exe zimage root=/dev/hda2 ro"

   from there. If you are any good with MS-DOS setups, you can code
   multiple AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files, so that you have a menu
   setup and can choose which OS to boot.

------------8<---------------------------------------8<-------------

Quote:>Tao

       Best wishes for success,
                                       Klaus.

  PGP (1024/D7A16B1D) = 42 5B CD ED EC E7 8F 50 C0 B0 14 1E 3B 9F DC 08
"Linux was made by foreign terrorists to take money from true
US companies like Microsoft." -- Some A*L'er.

1. Master boot record with NT 4.0/RH5.0

To all,

I'm running a Pentium II system with 64 megs of RAM, and two physical
Western Digital IDE harddrives on my primary IDE channel and a regular
CD-ROM with a Re-writable CD-ROM on the second IDE channel.

I loaded the first physical harddrive with NT 4.0 and made it one big NTFS
partition.  I have loaded RH5.0 on the second harddrive with all
appropriate partitions including a shared partition but when it gets to the
part during the install about including an entry in the Master Boot Record
for launching other OS's, it says that there was an error installing the
entry in the MBR.

I guess my question is:  Can I have the first harddrive dedicated to NT and
the second dedicated to Linux?  If not, do I have to make some sort of
partition on the first harddrive for Linux?

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks,

Ben

2. Q: How to run with no console?

3. killing the master boot record

4. 7013-59h, adding memory, troubles -

5. master boot record

6. 3c509b update...

7. Problem is Master boot record

8. .netrc Problem in ftp file (Solaris 2.6)

9. Killed Master Boot Record with Dr Dos.

10. Need to restore Master Boot Record-forgot command-Help!

11. Repair Master Boot Record

12. Installing a Different Linux over Existing - Effect on Master Boot Record

13. Does RH Linux 7.0 overwrite my windwos2000 Master Boot Record?